Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
1987 Cabo 216/F150 "Have Not Blown-up Yet!"
Went to the South 9mile to catch some fish for today's fish grill. Needed some larger fish if possible. Full moon setting on the way out. Bad omen cuz some say the fish bite all night and are not hungry in the morning. It kinda turned out that way for the first 3 hours of fishing with only 4 fish caught. Then went deeper in an area I have not fished before on the bank at 530 ft. My 1st mate hooks up a couple of reds to 5 lb on first drop there. To decrease the movement and scope of the line especially in windy situation like that day, I employ the trolling motor in spot-lock to stay stationary over a spot. The next drop or two she hits a home run on the 2 hooks on her pole, a 11 lb cow cow and a smaller 9 1/2 lb mexican rockfish. I thought she had the bottom. After a few pics, down the cow cod goes to hopefully live to fight another day. The seas were quite miserable like usual out there. Only two other boats in the area. Little signs of life so called it a day a 1100 without looking for top feeders. Now I've got to filet these fish up for a get-together with friends later on today.

mar 28a.jpg

mar 27c.jpg

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Are those Mexican rock fish edible to eat? All the L.R. Trips I've been on, They always throw them over the side.

muletrain

Sep 9, 2006
    san clemente
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    Carolina skiff for the bay / Hobie Mirage
    Those are some really cool looking fish. I have been fishing all the way down to colonet Mexico rock fishing but never caught any cod like those

really special

thanks for sharing

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
    HB
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Line up
    The fish in her hand also pictured in center of sink is bronze spotted rockfish has lumpy skin but has striped markings across gill plates. They very from reddish versions to the bronze brown versions and deeper bodied. Great group of fish! Good on you descending cowcod. I have caught 13 so far this year all descended well. If non believer watch a video they deflate and swim off.

Reactions: TOTW and RicGao

Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
    May 22, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    Halibut Howie
    Boat
    1987 Cabo 216/F150 "Have Not Blown-up Yet!"
    Are those Mexican rock fish edible to eat? All the L.R. Trips I've been on, They always throw them over the side.
    I heard the same thing about mexican rockfish. I just clean each filet of most of the bloodlines and cook as any other rockfish. However, there is quite a difference in color between a red and a mexican rockfish, Meat turns white just like green lingcod once cooked. I find the fish not as sweet and tasty as a red or the orange models we catch but edible.

Throwing away a beautiful 9 lb fish seems like quite a waste. We killed it so we'll eat it.

mexican mar 28.jpg

Last edited:

TOTW

Time On The Water
    Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    The fish in her hand also pictured in center of sink is bronze spotted rockfish has lumpy skin but has striped markings across gill plates. They very from reddish versions to the bronze brown versions and deeper bodied. Great group of fish! Good on you descending cowcod. I have caught 13 so far this year all descended well. If non believer watch a video they deflate and swim off.

Good call on the bronzespotted!