Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
1987 Cabo 216/F150 "Have Not Blown-up Yet!"
First good looking day outside in awhile so me and my wife Donna decided to get some fish for a family fish fry today. All kinds of life about 7 miles out from SD Bay. Birds and dauphin along the way to the south nine mile bank. Winds picked up from the east causing 2-4' wind chop with a 4 plus swell from the NW. Had to keep your feet under you at all times.

Any way managed 15 fish taking turns winding in a 12 oz diamond jig, attached squid lite with a whole squid from the abyss. A fast wind-drift even with a sock is why used only a jig to extend the drift. Most fish and all reds were caught somewhere along the 400-650' drop-off. The reds fought sporadically on the way up especially the biggest red. A few larger than the one Donna just wound up by herself. We used a 2-speed Penn Int'l 16s. Easy cranking but a very slow retrieve. Good eating today. Cold, deep water rockfish from the Coronado Canyon is hard to beat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tom cindric

Tom-broke-off
Jun 17, 2015
Lake elsinore
Name
all she's got
Boat
22 key largo / 2670 Glacier Bay
Thanks Halibut, good eat"s right there for sure. That is outstanding sashimi. I hope I learn to fish Mexico rock fish some day, I never hand any success doing that on the lower nine.

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
  • Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    Thanks Halibut, good eat"s right there for sure. That is outstanding sashimi. I hope I learn to fish Mexico rock fish some day, I never hand any success doing that on the lower nine.

Rockfish is not something that I would consider sashimi fare. Is there anything special you do to it before preparing?

Upvote 0

tom cindric

Tom-broke-off
    Jun 17, 2015
    Lake elsinore
    Name
    all she's got
    Boat
    22 key largo / 2670 Glacier Bay
    Not all rockfish, just the reds. The Vermillion rockfish is outstanding for sashimi. I like to leave it on ice overnight then fillet the next day. Then cut into very thin strips. I dip into it in soy sauce mixed with lime juice, garlic, hot peppers, sesame seed oil, and that's it.

Upvote 0

ranchero

fishing-pox..?I have fishing plauge
    Apr 29, 2004
    SD
    Name
    Al
    Boat
    25 skipjack -Albatross
    It's great stuff!! We went out and filled our holds up saturday 1-18. The rockfish was a welcome treat to the BFT poke we been eating for months. The kids even said they like the RF cooked more than tuna ad I agree. Love tuna but -to me i like it crudo-style.

RF- scale, gut- and slit with fillet knife 3 times both sides down from top to bottom (Not head to tail). one inch from gill plate then every 2-3 inches. The grill on a Q. Gas or coal- I do gas. You could do this in a big pan or probably on a broiler too. If you got a deep fryer pop in there for 2 min after the Q- but that's lots of work. Q is all you need. Baste with melted butter and olive oil. But thats not really needed. Top it off with a squeeze of fresh lemon off your tree. - Asian ginger sauce or other sauces can be poured on for stellar results!!!

We served ours with brussles and basmati rice (and a cold modelo). Amazing what you need to do to good fish to WOW diners- not much. Best thing about this method- Zero waist!. That head meat under the eyes and around gills is amazing. You know you done it right when they are sucking on the tail and pec. fins. When fried - the fins are like potato chips. You could save all the bones- and make a fish stock for future fish stew if you freeze. Great for the joints- add some tumeric!

In Portugal they eat the eyeballs for good luck-

Upvote 0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Skipjack 22
    Do a little homework before you eat raw or marinated rockfish. There's a whole slew of parasites that are only safe to eat if they've been cooked to 140° or frozen for at least 48 hrs. Parasites that will make you VERY unhappy!

Reactions: Ryan Gay and T-Tang
    Upvote 0