Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
18' Crestliner Superhawk, 14' Tracker "Fish Git' RRR"
Hey Guy's, I picked up a 14' Aluminum Jon boat a few months back and an am trying to figure out how to sound-proof the hull. I installed plywood floors and carpeted the interior, so the inside of the boat is pretty much sound proofed. What's annoying me, and probably the big stripers I'm fishing for, is the waves and ripples on the water echoing off the aluminum hull. I could apply some DynaMat (expensive and heavy), roof sealing membrane (cheap but heavy) or elastomeric roof coating (cheap but heavy) to deaden the noise, but I want to find something that's light. I've seen self adhesive foam sheeting before, but don't know where to get it. Looking for something about 1/8" to 1/4" thick that I can stick to the inside of the hull to deaden the wave noise.

Any Idea's?

Dirtguy

"It's all Good!"
May 9, 2006
Gilbert, AZ
Name
Carl
Boat
26' Sea Ray, "yes dear..."
How about the rubberized undercoating in a can that is available at most auto stores? It might work under the carpet.

DG

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
I've used the automotive undercoat on cars, it would probably deaden the noise, but it's pretty messy and would take a looooong time to dry for as thick as I'd want it. Also, I built the plywood floors so they can be easily removed for cleaning; fish blood, sand-dirt and anything that gets under them. I'm afraid the undercoat would glue them down to the bottom of the boat unless I let it dry for a few weeks to a month...

I can't wait that long to go chasing stripers! :D

Good idea though

edit: The carpeted sides of the boat are pretty well dampened for noise, it's just the raw aluminum floor that's carrying the noise. I want to put something under the plywood floors to dampen the noise, something that won't collect dirt, water, etc.

Sluester

I kill stuff
Jul 22, 2003
Lakeside
Name
Mike
Boat
Killin time, Bill Collector
If you're not worried about weight-drag try Rhino lining it.:D

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
Actually, I was thinking of RhinoLining the front 3-4' for beaching purposes and I guess that would cut down on the noise too.

I'm thinking of lining the bottom with the elastomeric (sp) roofing membrane, then lining the bottom of the boat with some plastic and filling the 1" void between the plywood deck and aluminum hull with some expanding foam. Let the whole thing setup for a few days then remove the plywood deck that's now molded to fit the contours of the bottom of the boat and cut away anything that's interfering with the drain channels. Hopefully this takes away any vibration caused by the wave action.

I played with a piece of aluminum, the membrane and foam combination seemed to dampen the ringing of the aluminum really well, guess I'll find out:drunk