doncatfish

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 21, 2006
San Clemente
Name
Don
Boat
30' Albemarle
Short story - Never seen so many 10 - 20 pounds lings caught on one trip in my life.

Long version - Left Mission Bay at 6:00 pm on the Pac Voyager the Friday after Thanksgiving with 20 anglers. We had an excellent squid float right off of Point Loma on our way down, nice to go to sleep with tanks full of squid, sardines and mackerel. We had 4 trollers out at 6:00 am, about 15 miles south of the high spot in 63 - 64 degree water, hoping for a wayward Bluefin but no love. Metered around the high spot for yellows, Mark didn't see any so we anchored up and hoped they would show. They didn't, but my goodness did the large lings show.

Literally within one minute of dropping our baits did the first 15 pound ling cod came over the rail, everyone thought the JP had already been decided. That fish was just average - during the day we had 16 lings between 10 - 20 pounds come over the rail that I counted. The JP was just over 20, which was hitchhiking on a 6 lb. whitefish. There was another huge ling taken on the hitched whitefish as well, but most of them were caught on mackerel and sardines. Must have been 50+ lings on board, nothing small, none to be released. Great quality ling after great quality ling. Strangely, I couldn't get a ling on the iron if my life depended on it, tried using a number of different irons I've had great success on the lings with, but they just wanted bait.

We only did a couple of drifts, instead spending the day on anchor in 180' - 250' of water. Fishing for whitefish was off the charts, all you wanted of 5 - 8 lbers, the trick was a 1 - 2 ounce sliding sinker on a light rod with 25 lb. test. They were suspended, if by chance you got to the bottom then it was sheepshead or a red. All in all we went home with full bags as usual on the Pac Voyager, Mark and the crew did a really nice job again.

Attachments

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
Now that is a quality day!! Nicely done and thanks for the report...

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
Very nice work a great trip for sure.
Captn. Mark is a born hunter, have always done
well on his boat.

Were you on a private charter or and open charter? I never see open trips
on the Pacific Voyager.

doncatfish

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 21, 2006
San Clemente
Name
Don
Boat
30' Albemarle
Yessokk,

Yup, it was a rare open party on the Pac Voyager, I was shocked it didn't sell out. Looking forward to fishing Colnett again soon!

TexMojoII

Well, Shit!
Jul 18, 2010
Lacey, Washington
Name
Larry
Boat
Parker 2820
Do I see a Yellow Eye in there?

Short story - Never seen so many 10 - 20 pounds lings caught on one trip in my life.

Long version - Left Mission Bay at 6:00 pm on the Pac Voyager the Friday after Thanksgiving with 20 anglers. We had an excellent squid float right off of Point Loma on our way down, nice to go to sleep with tanks full of squid, sardines and mackerel. We had 4 trollers out at 6:00 am, about 15 miles south of the high spot in 63 - 64 degree water, hoping for a wayward Bluefin but no love. Metered around the high spot for yellows, Mark didn't see any so we anchored up and hoped they would show. They didn't, but my goodness did the large lings show.

Literally within one minute of dropping our baits did the first 15 pound ling cod came over the rail, everyone thought the JP had already been decided. That fish was just average - during the day we had 16 lings between 10 - 20 pounds come over the rail that I counted. The JP was just over 20, which was hitchhiking on a 6 lb. whitefish. There was another huge ling taken on the hitched whitefish as well, but most of them were caught on mackerel and sardines. Must have been 50+ lings on board, nothing small, none to be released. Great quality ling after great quality ling. Strangely, I couldn't get a ling on the iron if my life depended on it, tried using a number of different irons I've had great success on the lings with, but they just wanted bait.

We only did a couple of drifts, instead spending the day on anchor in 180' - 250' of water. Fishing for whitefish was off the charts, all you wanted of 5 - 8 lbers, the trick was a 1 - 2 ounce sliding sinker on a light rod with 25 lb. test. They were suspended, if by chance you got to the bottom then it was sheepshead or a red. All in all we went home with full bags as usual on the Pac Voyager, Mark and the crew did a really nice job again.

doncatfish

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 21, 2006
San Clemente
Name
Don
Boat
30' Albemarle
No yellow eyes down this far south. It's a red snapper in the photo, but from that angle with the light it does look very similar. We have cow cods down here which looks almost like a yellow eye, except of course for the yellow eyes.