Sooo,,, how do I get my F'n picture in WON?

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
18' Crestliner Superhawk, 14' Tracker "Fish Git' RRR"
***RANT ON***

I received my latest issue of WON today and noticed a guy holding a nice Willow Beach striper on the cover. Fat 37# fish and certainly something to be proud of, but it got me kind of irritated. Not at the guy who caught the fish (Oh BTW, nice striper), but at WON

I'm kind of a modest guy and not one to go slapping myself on the back, but WTF. I've caught a few notable fish out of Lake Mohave the past year, 40# striper out of Willow Beach last July, 1st 30# striper out of Cottonwood Cove in November, then a monster 51# striper out of Willow in February (OK, I guess I just did a bit of back slapping). Right after catching the 51# striper I saw a lady who got a nice article and picture in WON for catching a 25ish# striper and figured if that makes print, my fish is sure to make it,,, 2 weeks later, nope. It was cool to get mentioned in the "Whopper of the Week" those times, but also irritating to see nice articles WON printed about smaller stripers out of that lake.

I wonder if it's because I'm not using tackle advertised in WON as I've noticed several of the Willow Beach articles consistently mention certain lures being used to catch the fish? Am I too ugly? Do I have to write my own article and send it to them, though that was their job? If I have to write my own article I'm never going to make it in there as that's not my style.

I'm probably not earning any brownie points here, but it seems their articles are more about advertising than reporting what's happening in the outdoors.

***RANT OFF***

marlyn

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
its not who you know.....

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
I don't know what to tell you.I even got my pic in one time my dear mom still shows it to anyone who stops by??

Saluki

May 10, 2003
HB
Name
Mika Tan
Boat
"MoorZilla"
PM "Wildcat" he's got connections.

1:11

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
Dont worry Dan, those that know you from BD saw your fish. Those that have fished with you know you know your stuff.

WON, its a joke anyways, not worthy of your fish or your knowledge. Fuck em', go get a 60.

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
You need a sex change and include an aftermarket rack.

Back when I did subscribe to Week Old News, I got several photos in it. Even won their photo contest. That said, any photo of a nice looking woman with a good fish is automatic.

My advice, get over it. No one reads WON anymore. It's called heritage media and it's an endangered species. Ever wonder why they're pushing so many tournaments? Because increasingly that is where they make their money. Besides, Rich Holland is a piece of work and a menace to our political fishing interests.

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
it could be bad timing with better or more unique fish caught, better story, etc.; but it doesn't appear that way.
Yeah, not much outdoor stuff going on in February

those that know you from BD saw your fish
Yep, I appreciate all the responses from the BD guys,,, and the Mod's for throwing it up on the front page for a few days!

PM "Wildcat" he's got connections.
If I get one bigger I'm sending pictures and a story everywhere,,, including Wildcat

You need a sex change and include an aftermarket rack.
Good thought,,, but umm NO :D

I even got my pic in one time my dear mom still shows it to anyone who stops by??
That's what I'm talking about, something to send back home, share with the family, thrown in the scrap book. Walking down the dock and someone recognizes you and says weren't you the guy that....

Yellow Fever 80

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 17, 2007
Long Beach
Name
Dave
Boat
wish I had one
Its the way you take the pic. You have to pose just right, have a good background, shit like that. I have seen them put like a guy with a 1 lb. brown trout from the owens or some shit on the cover even though there could be wfo 35# yellowtail at Farnsworth at that same time.

KuttySark

Dec 20, 2005
Mt Helix
Name
Dan
Boat
In due time
I'm sure a lot of their decision making process is based on the quality of the photo itself, specifically having a photo at a resolution that suitable for publication.

Most point and shoot digital cameras now will do the job, but if your camera is more than a few years old the size of the photo could be inadequate. Also, how well the photo is lit plays a role. Be sure to shoot with your face to the sun and your hat off if you can stand it for a minute. That way the sun will light up your fish and let the face be seen. Overcast and cloudy days are best as the light will be more even, but still be sure to avoid being backlit. In direct sunlight you want to try to take one of the shots with the flash on. This can help to give you and your fish in the foreground some pop.

Afry

Capitán
Jul 5, 2005
Ramona, Ca
Name
Arnie
Boat
38 Mediterranean, 23 Key West
Sorry Dan, but they only print pictures of fisherman that look like they can afford to buy an issue....35 pictures=35 issuses sold that month.

fishmanbh

Fishing Charters Of San Diego
Jun 30, 2006
San Diego and Los Angeles
www.fishingchartersofsandiego.com
Name
Brian
Boat
36’ Hatteras, 27’ Pro Line
alot of people do good things. heck, alot of people do great things! the total opposite is included. one can go on forever without the things they do ever being noticed. on the other hand, one may become famous for doing nothing at all. your best chance is to fish as much as possible and be happy with the results.

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat

It might not be front cover material, but I don't think it's too bad of a pic. Shrinkey dink that pic and it's all good. I guess all the blood might have turned off WON,,, and turned on the BLOODY DECKS guys. Yeah, probably not the best facial expession, but that pig was getting heavy after 10 minutes of trying to get the wifey to snap a good pic. Heck, I've seen uglier pic's in WON.

monster1

Typical Striper owner
May 30, 2006
Long beach
Name
Monster
Boat
Yep
ever notice that the same names tend to get mentioned in the articles and fish reports? like the only people who fish are the ones who own a certain lure company or tackle store. definately a click going on here.

KuttySark

Dec 20, 2005
Mt Helix
Name
Dan
Boat
In due time
Sorry Dan, but they only print pictures of fisherman that look like they can afford to buy an issue....35 pictures=35 issuses sold that month.

You may be right. It's been ages since I paid for an issue. If I want to read week old fish reports I'll go to the inshore forum and click on page 4 (~page 10 during the summer).

It might not be front cover material, but I don't think it's too bad of a pic. Shrinkey dink that pic and it's all good. I guess all the blood might have turned off WON,,, and turned on the BLOODY DECKS guys. Yeah, probably not the best facial expession, but that pig was getting heavy after 10 minutes of trying to get the wifey to snap a good pic. Heck, I've seen uglier pic's in WON.
It's a good shot and that is a PIG. Good lighting, good fish. The only thing I'd do different is to get some water in the background, or a wider shot of the boat - include the background as a story element. I don't work for WON but I do deal with situations like this occasionally so please don't take any of my two cents for another more than pennies rubbing together.

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
The pic was taken at home since I have a phobia about bringing a camera while big striper fishing. Ever heard about no bananas on board, well it's no camera's for me as I've had bad trips with the thing on board.

2 of the big fish did have pics taken by the marina staff, so I figured WON should be able to get the photo from there, guess not.

From messages and replies I take it you have to send in pics and a story...

Limits

Fish or Die!
Jun 5, 2004
SoCal
Name
Tommy
Boat
2101 Seaswirl Striper, Hobie Revolution
From messages and replies I take it you have to send in pics and a story...

Yup. Consider it from the editor's point of view, they probably get hundreds (maybe even thousands) of pics a week. How do you select the 30 - 35 or so that get published. Not a fun task.

A good picture definitely increases your chances. Having a lunker isn't automatic unless its something very rare. Being a gal or a kid definitely helps your chances. I've sent one set of pics in and they got published the very next week.

For what its worth, I think a lot of folks on BD are former subscribers. I let mine expire years ago. Why pay for old news???

To me, making in on the front page of BD is a lot more prestigious than getting a pic in some weekly fish wrap.

fishstick-er

Jan 26, 2006
Ramona
Name
Robert
Boat
6 foot inflatable
As a former news photog, not a real good photo. The background is full of problems. Palm tree growing out of one of your ears, white canopy, etc. Color is a big deal. The fish is shot from the belly. More white. Your shirt is a wet mess. Not very colorful. Your face is fine. Good light, though a smile would be better. Another thing to consider in print media is photo size for layout. Give them a bunch of photos shot different ways. Horizontals, verticals, etc. They are working with a layout that usually requires the photo "fit" the spot. I had pics that were much better as a horizontal that were hacked in to a vertical. They get a ton of unsolicited submittals. Unless they have a story that requires specific art a great photo will outshine a better "story" from a picture all day. They are trying to get somebody to pick up the paper off the rack. Photo gets the reader all day. That's what I used to tell the writers! Not sure if they always agreed. BTW the tit idea is good. You are trying to get guys to pick up the paper. You might reconsider the sex change if you are bent on getting your pic in the paper.

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
Ummm,,, thanks for the photo critique, I think? All valid points for a professional photo,,, BUT

I'm just a down to earth fisherman that wouldn't mind seeing a pic and print in WON about a nice catch. I'm not trying to get on the cover of Sports Illustrated, but wouldn't mind a 2x3" pic and a few lines of print about the catch.

wet shirt, yep
palm tree, yep
belly shot of fish, yep

But it was better than the light pole, neighbors roof, cars and other clutter that would have been in the pic. I'm sure the marina has a nicer pic of the fish,,, haven't looked to see how their pic's turned out yet.

In all honesty I don't go fishing to see my self in WON, I do it because I love fishing.