Son's first halibut trip on the Cal Dawn

bassandbutts

Feb 15, 2012
CA
Name
Tim
Boat
It floats
Took my son out Sunday on his first charter boat tip. He's been in the ocean skiff fishing off Capitola a bunch of times and figured it was time to get him out.

He reeled in 3 halibut including this one that was jackpot most of the day. Can't wait to bring him out again. Captain James Smith is a class act and he and the deckhand (Mike) did a great job making Callum's first trip memorable.

2017_98_1841_8946_californiadawn04092017-02.jpeg

Upvote 0

bassandbutts

Feb 15, 2012
CA
Name
Tim
Boat
It floats
Live bait off Alameda. We drifted off Oyster in the afternoon right in front of the marina and picked up quite a few. Mostly shakers but jackpot fish that beat my son's was caught there.

Reactions: Capt Ahab
Upvote 0

The Dr.

Almost A Member
May 5, 2015
Name
Kenji
Boat
Ranger 521VX
Nice report. Your boy probably had a great time.

James is hands down the most fun capt to fish with. I try and ride the CalDawn a few times a year.

You and your son should try and get on he Phenix sponsored Lingcod trip. I believe its in July. Great group and lots of gear given away!

Upvote 0

bassandbutts

Feb 15, 2012
CA
Name
Tim
Boat
It floats
Thanks Kenji.
We fish the Penn trips with James each year. Those are a blast. Taking my kid on the halibut one next month. Been fishing with the Smith clan since I was 16. Great family.
Take care and maybe I'll see you out there sometime.

Reactions: The Dr.
Upvote 0

bob1825

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 11, 2007
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Anyone the fits my schedule
    Congratulations! I've been fishing for years and still haven't caught a stupid California halibut.

Upvote 0

Capt Ahab

Almost A Member
    Jan 25, 2017
    Somewhere in the Galaxy
    Name
    Mark Rodman
    Boat
    Upright
    Thanks Kenji.
    We fish the Penn trips with James each year. Those are a blast. Taking my kid on the halibut one next month. Been fishing with the Smith clan since I was 16. Great family.
    Take care and maybe I'll see you out there sometime.

If you've been fishing with the Smith Clan that long then you MUST have fished The Happy Hooker when it was berthed at Point Molate, Richmond...
    I had a little 16 Ft Dorsett syle with a 10 horse Honda 4 stroke...

Use to Consistently catch sturgeon almost every trip out...had Jim Smith ALWAYS looking for my "Secret Spots"

Interesting to note that the LAST Whale rendering station on the West Coast was at Point Molate!!!

Upvote 0

bassandbutts

Feb 15, 2012
    CA
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    It floats
    Yup, used to fish with Jim when he was up there as well as on the New Keesa and the Nobilis. Scott and Mike were also good Captains.

Reactions: Capt Ahab
    Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
    Oct 20, 2008
    San Marcos
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    Sportboat
    If you've been fishing with the Smith Clan that long then you MUST have fished The Happy Hooker when it was berthed at Point Molate, Richmond...
    I had a little 16 Ft Dorsett syle with a 10 horse Honda 4 stroke...

Use to Consistently catch sturgeon almost every trip out...had Jim Smith ALWAYS looking for my "Secret Spots"

Interesting to note that the LAST Whale rendering station on the West Coast was at Point Molate!!!
    Well aren't you just effing great.

Upvote 0

Phat Boat

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 18, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    Grady White Marlin 300
    Nice job! Like the Cal dawn, well run nor cal boat. They had 78 shorts yesterday 4/19. Crazy. Might end up being a real good year on the flats.

Upvote 0

bassandbutts

Feb 15, 2012
    CA
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    It floats
    ^ I don't know what your infatuation with the cook is but it is starting to worry me. Thanks again for your contribution to a kid friendly post.
    Tim

I'll be sure to pass this along to Marc and James. Hopefully they'll throw you overboard next time you're that boat.

Reactions: sitonmyface
    Upvote 0

Bigeasy

yeah, yeah!
    Jun 18, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Name
    Eric W.
    Boat
    Tunacious 238 Coastal Twin 150-E
    Pt. Molate is still a hot spot for stripers, halibut and sturgeon! I always wondered what the old foundations on the bank were from! Whale processing station, who would've thought that! I remember Him running out of Molate! Back then, we caught salmon next to the Richmond bridge!

Upvote 0

Capt Ahab

Almost A Member
    Jan 25, 2017
    Somewhere in the Galaxy
    Name
    Mark Rodman
    Boat
    Upright
    Pt. Molate is still a hot spot for stripers, halibut and sturgeon! I always wondered what the old foundations on the bank were from! Whale processing station, who would've thought that! I remember Him running out of Molate! Back then, we caught salmon next to the Richmond bridge!

Hello Eric; The pilings are the remnants of the ramp that extended into San Pablo Bay to winch the whales up into the rendering station..

There is a reef that is situated by the Whaling station that was/is Excellent during an incoming tide with shiners...

I use to troll the flats east of the entrance to Pt Molate around the duck blinds...The outboard KICKING up MUD in 2ft of water was my signal to start heading further out into the cove!!!...

I use to listen to the tales of the "Old Timers"!!!...now seemingly at 60....I've become the "Old Timer" telling stories!!!!

Last edited:
    Reactions: Bigeasy
    Upvote 0