Hooops

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Nov 26, 2005
Huntington Harbour
Name
Hoops
Boat
17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
My son passed his Hunters safety during this covid mess (fyi - if you have a son 12 or older - they can do the whole thing online right now). We have been shooting sporting clays for several years and hes gotten very skilled - can out shoot me - but that's not saying much.

Fishing, diving, lobstering has taken a powder and we got an invite from a neighbor that's a member in a club down in Imperial County and he has a pointer and a lab as well.

Shot Pheasant, chukar and some dove - and son is totally hooked on hunting wants nothing to do with a rod and reel anymore - lol.

IMG_5579.jpg

IMG_5581.jpg

Upvote 0

hbouldin1216

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 10, 2012
Lodi, CA
Name
Henry Bouldin
Boat
14 Gregor - Tinacious
I know that feeling. Got into hunting late (age 30) but that feeling of knocking your first bird out of the sky is unlike any fishing memory I have to date.

Reactions: Hooops and mrkrabs
Upvote 0

Vermonster

Feb 26, 2003
Escondido
Visit site
Name
Sean
Boat
I'm a Ho'.....
Wow, great hunt! He looks happy! I'll be taking my 14 year old down this weekend to the valley for his first Duck excursion, and might walk to some fields for dove/pheasants. It'll be public land though, so be a crap shoot......lol

Reactions: Hooops
Upvote 0

Oldtimer2

Almost A Member
Jul 29, 2020
Iowa City Iowa
Name
Rob Malone
Boat
don't got no boat
Congrats on getting your son into hunting. And from the picture, it seems like he got a lot of birds.

Now that you have got him addicted to birds, however, Mr. Dad, you HAVE to take the next step: DOGS!! Bird hunting isn't remotely as much fun as when you have your own pup. At 12, he's old enough to help you with the training, and that's a lot of fun in itself. I hunted without a dog for 16 years before I got one at age 30, and it changed my life (really), not just my joy at hunting. I've had hunting dogs now for 42 years and never regretted a minute of the time with them.

One final thought. I suspect that when the hunting seasons are over, and the fish start being active, he will revive his interest in fishing. All the young men I've taken hunting over the years did so, even the ones that liked pups so much they would help me train in summer.

Again, kudos to you for being a great Dad!!

Upvote 0

Hooops

Nov 26, 2005
Huntington Harbour
Name
Hoops
Boat
17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
Looking to get him out again for additional bird hunting opportunities - so if anyone wants to assist - let me know... (I have no real hunting backround)

Upvote 0

dragonballs

I'm off probation
  • Mar 28, 2008
    Arlington WA
    Name
    Vance
    Boat
    40' ocean sport fisher
    Take him over to miller ranch in Sprague. It’s a pay to hunt but you have your own area with birds put out for you. Great training area fir him and a nee dog.

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    Get him out for doves. The right spot will keep you guys busy for a while. I really like Yuma for them.

Upvote 0