Sometimes the cat gets the tuna

Discussion in 'Washington Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by carrie's bait boy, Sep 4, 2016.

1. carrie's bait boy

carrie's bait boy 2 hulls are better than 1

Name:
    norm
    Boat:
    32x12 ACI Cat
    Carrie and I had a great time tuna fishing yesterday on a bitchin World Cat. It was really strange for me not to be at the helm but we we in the capable hands of Wdlfbio and he knows his shit! That cat made it to the fishing grounds in no time and it was smooth we could have had a cup of tea on the way out and not spilled a drop on my bean bag chair. First time using a bean bag chair. Yes they are worth ever penny! Once on the grounds Wldfbio and "the woman" (Erica I think, I'm terrible at names.) showed us how to rig the rods, where to put each one on the boat, explained why you do certain things, etc... Me, Carrie, the other guest Cory Armstrong were like first graders on the first day of school. Excited to see how do do things, yet attention span of a gnat. Lots of fun, lots of laughs, good natured corrections by Laurence and Erica to how I was doing things. We got some really nice tuna, discussed pros and cons of cats with Laurence and Cory. Fun fighting tuna on such a stable boat. I think they should change the name from a walk around to a rub around. They had to remind me a couple times when we were fighting fish that it's go up and over and not just to go up and stay behind the girls for the rub:) so of course the girls paid me back when they went up and over and stay behind me... Fun times and great sense of humor! Did I say we got some nice fish? Okay. Learned a ton about proper presentation of live bait, the importance of getting bait in water after troll fish hooked up. And we got some nice fish. I like it when you can say "look at that fat pig" and no one gets slapped! After we were done fishing of the day Laurence cranked up the twin 250 Yamaha's, pointed that cat towards home, and that rocket ship brought us home in style and it rode like a Royals Royce.
    I feel very lucky to be treated so nice by all our fellow bloodydeckers. I hope to share the knowledge we learned yesterday with others in the future.
    Carrie and I had a blast and when we got back on the dock, Carrie got to show Lawrence her tuna carking skills.
    Thanks again to Laurence, Erica and Cory for the great time!
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

LJB, Genie Aye, Grady226 and 8 others like this.
  2. lucerunner

lucerunner I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ken luce
    Boat:
    Blue Kai
    nice report norm

carrie's bait boy and goatram like this.
  3. eddiefishtaco

eddiefishtaco Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    EDDIE
    Boat:
    sold
    Cool report I'll pay you to take me fishing on that boat it probably flyes like a rocket. How much one on those catamarans cost?

carrie's bait boy likes this.
  4. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Once you go Cat, you never go back

Name:
    laurence
    Boat:
    2017 LUMACAT 28' Sport
    Norm and Carrie are a hoot to fish with. I met norm when he bought my airplane tug to move his boat around and he seemed like a good dude. Read several of his posts. And then had a blast when he and Carrie hosted the pre WTC BBQ. I knew they take a lot of good people fishing and help others. I also knew theynwere hooked bad by the dark side. I had been trying to get them on the boat and yesterday was finally the day. They each showed up with their sexy Thrasher rods, PFDs, plier/knife belts, Grundens, and new bean bags. I also had Cory Armstrong (I've been workin with him on a new Sport Cat design for our fishery) and TheWoman. I even had a special seat saved for the owner of Armstrong Consolidated Inc...
    image.jpeg

We hit 35/50 or so, removed the spray curtains, and dropped troll gear. A few minutes later I spy a nice patty and ask for the troll gear to come in. We chum the waters and they start soaking baits. I grab my 8' Daiwa deckhand rod, walk to the bow, and start throwing my Hogy Epoxy jig at the patty.About cast 6 and it gets inhaled. SWEEET. A live bait gets sucked up towards the rear. Then another. Norm and Carrie are on. I get several cranks on my fish (had to be a yellow under the patty) and call Cory to hand it off. Yeah, I'm that nice. But crap. It comes unbuttoned a bit after :(. But, that lets me still think it was a YT. o_O

Gonna be a good day Tater. Cory ends up with a live bait fish from the bow and it starts heading to the stern. Carrie, fighting her fish quickly instructs him to get his ass to the stern. FOLLOW YOUR FISH. That girl learns quick. I think we killed 3 there and lost 4 tho :(.

Back on the troll and a while later I see 1 jumper. Over we go, out goes bait. But no love.

Back on the troll for about 20-30 minutes and I see marks at 40'. In comes the troll gear and out goes chum and bait. After about 5 minutes, Norm is on. Carrie, immediately to his right gets picked up too. I'm thinking they are wrapped. But then Norm's fish heads west and Carrie's go east. Their second double. It's like these two are a pair or something.

We killed 5 there.
    image.jpeg

Then it all but died. Nada between 1230 and 330.

Great day with 11 fish. This group was a riot and I'd fish with them in a heart beat.
    Pretty sure Cory didn't mind his seat in the World Cat bean bag either...
    image.jpeg

The other cool part is that Cory learned some pretty good firsthand knowledge about what we need in a boat. He loved the ease at which he was able to follow his fish around the boat. Come to think of it, Norm got taken for a walk too :). Cort was continually checking things out and asking why this and why that. What about... And after he spent quite a bit of time cleaning the WC, he now understands the value of making a boat that will clean up easier. Pretty sure he's got the tuna bug.

image.jpeg

LJB, Genie Aye, sgwill122 and 8 others like this.
  5. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Once you go Cat, you never go back

Name:
    laurence
    Boat:
    2017 LUMACAT 28' Sport
    Coincidentally, it can be had for $123k... Or, you can wait until December and get a new tin version (the one Cory is building) decked out for hard core offshore use.

carrie's bait boy and hemigtx like this.
  6. Fish_kid

Fish_kid The Right Angler

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Parker 2120 "F-14"
    That's interesting Laurence...I think we started at the same kelp paddy at 35 over 50... I'm sure we got a later start than you, so we probably weren't on scene until around 11:00... We saw the paddy and threw a couple of swimbaits at it, but nothing... I was seeing some bait down around 40 as we started to drift away from the patch, so we chummed and put out live baits... couple of minutes later, Game On! We drifted kind of SE from that spot for about 90 minutes and pretty much had fish on the whole time. Finally the sharks got to be too much, so we ran back uphill a bit and drifted for our 9th and final fish that we wanted. We had a few doubles and one triple... don't remember how many we converted out of those... all 9 fish on live bait for us!

Had a couple of people troll within 75-100 yards of us while we were drifting, but thankfully it didn't matter...

7. Draht vom Hoko

Draht vom Hoko Member

Name:
    Joel Davis
    Boat:
    Shamrock 260 Cuddy LE Keel Drive; Cummins 6BT5.9M 210 HP
    Nice write up guys and cool you got the gals out there too!

8. Grady226

Grady226 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    22' Grady White
    Hey Norm, There is no way you went up and over The Woman!:frehya2:

Thanks for another great read!

9. TheWoman

TheWoman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Erica
    Boat:
    28' Lumacat Sportcat
    I ducked. It seemed the gentlemanly thing to do for him. ;)

Norm and Carrie were awesome to have aboard! And since they went out and slayed em today, I think anyone can see how quickly they learn.

Carrie is a kickass fisherman and I hope to fish with her again - we are gonna need a girls trip! And I'd fish behind Norm anytime. [emoji23]

Thanks for the fun day, y'all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Cap'n Coldeye

Cap'n Coldeye Salt Shaker

Name:
    Aaron
    Boat:
    Shamrock 220 "Loco Gringo"
    Nice work. Sounds like a great day. Cool to see the cat ripping up the ocean!
    Cheers

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

11. Reel Hooker

Reel Hooker I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Benjamin
    Boat:
    Parker 2320 Long Cabin 'REEL HOOKER'
    Looks like a great day out on the water.

12. Genie Aye

Genie Aye FISH BOSS

Name:
    Cap't Paul
    Boat:
    V-20 Wellcraft w/200HO E-TEC
    The captain will make sure you do it right and if not, Erica will....lol

Great to fish with them for sure, I learned alot from them!!!

Even the short pump...lol