Soda Pop

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Some of us are unable to do what we love.... Go Long Range Fishing. Some of us have to take what is going on right now seriously because of our health or a loved ones compromised immune system. If you believe what is going on or not with the COVID-19 just remember some of us would love to be fishing and sharing the rail with you. Unfortunately not all of us can join you right now. I know for myself and probably many others that love to go long range is just out of the question right now. Many of us look at the fishing reports every day foaming at the mouth wishing we could be sharing the rail with you. Just remember that many of us are cheering you on as we hunker down in our homes waiting to smell the salt water and get back to what we love to do. Before this crap hit us I was doing between 80-100 days on the water doing what I just love. Long Range Fishing. If you are one of the fortunate ones that are able to get out on a long range boat I will be cheering you on every crank of the reel thinking man I sure want to go fishing. Good luck to all anglers that have been going out fishing or those of you that are going crazy counting down the days until you depart on your upcoming trips... O the anticipation is building up! For now I will just be going crazy cheering everyone on every pump of the rod....every crank of the reel.

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
I hear ya. I think about this every time I fish and quietly give thanks I'm able to do so. When quarantine hit, I was surprised to learn how many in my network were young, but with compromised immune systems. My LEO friends have to patrol the community interacting with randoms and increase their risks of contracting something.

Stay safe, be smart, and please wear masks. Catch fish, post detailed reports and pics, and help those living vicariously through us.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Don't worry about it, The Fish will always be their!!! You, your Wife and Family want you to be around a lot longer than have a bag of fresh fish!! That 300 lb tuna your looking for is only going to get bigger in your absence. Take care of your health first! :cheers: (The Toast is a beer and a Soda Pop).

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
This is a tough one for me: I've signed up for an October 8 day on the Rooster and I so want to go. But I'll be 70 when the boat sails and am a cancer survivor. It's hard for me to believe that flying form Alaska and fishing and living in close quarters with some 20 other anglers is a wise thing to do. My GP is emphatic -- don't go! -- but she isn't as passionate about fishing as I am. I'm wrestling with my decision. Fortunately I have a little while before the boat leaves, and there well may be a lockdown before then.

Reactions: FishRock and esgeo

dtf

Apr 16, 2004
So. Bay Ca
Name
David
Boat
22ft, Pursuit
This is a tough one for me: I've signed up for an October 8 day on the Rooster and I so want to go. But I'll be 70 when the boat sails and am a cancer survivor. It's hard for me to believe that flying form Alaska and fishing and living in close quarters with some 20 other anglers is a wise thing to do. My GP is emphatic -- don't go! -- but she isn't as passionate about fishing as I am. I'm wrestling with my decision. Fortunately I have a little while before the boat leaves, and there well may be a lockdown before then.
Why not be a little more positive, a flu shot for the virus??

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve K

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
A Flu Shot for the virus would be great. Will be great -- but not before next year...

Last edited:

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
Bartlett, IL
Name
Greg
Boat
Independence
I missed last year due to health issues and busted butt to get in great shape for this year. But new obstacles may thwart me. I'd have a 14 day quarantine if I travel from Chicago to CA. Sheesh. And now I find out that the feds are no where near processing the passport renewal I submitted in April. ARRRRGGGG.

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
I really miss your excellent reports about your trips, Soda. I sympathize, I'll be 74 in October and also a cancer survivor, and am getting some skin cancer taken off both ears as I write this. I got the wife to agree to my taking some shorter runs this summer/fall, and so far am doing well.

I really like how the landings and boats are taking it seriously. Every fifteen minutes, the outside loudspeaker at Fisherman's Landing makes a reminder the everyone should be social distancing and wearing a mask, and all of the waiting fishermen at each boat lineup that I saw were complying. There were the occasional walk-around types who were being inconsiderate, but it's not worth getting into a war about.

And the boat crews are REALLY trying hard. The boats are really being kept in excellent condition, and I don't know what goes on in the wheelhouse but whenever they are on deck around the fishermen, they all were being very consistent about wearing masks. And so were most of the fishermen, most of the time. The only real danger zone that I could see on any trip was the galley, because of course it is impossible to stay distant and masked and still have dinner. But it looked to me that almost everyone was being as considerate as they could be.

I don't do overcrowded day boats, but spending a bit more can still get you a fun day on the water. No wahoo, but everything else is less than a hundred miles offshore San Diego.

Fishdood

Fishgistics
Sep 30, 2012
San Marcos, CA
www.facebook.com
Name
Austin
Boat
Just another way to think about it but this is how I look at it.

People say "fishing will always be there later". Sure that may be true but the question is will you be there later?

I have had a lot of friends pass just suddenly over the years in different accidents, heart attacks, and sudden health findings (cancer). Fishing isn't there later for them anymore or anything else.

If you wait there is no guarantee YOU will be there later to do it. I live my life one day at a time and when I want to do something I do it NOW, because tomorrow is NEVER guaranteed no matter if you sit in your home or not. The last thing I wanna have happen is someone I know say oh man Fish was really wanting to do that but he didn't get a chance to, how sad.

So I am going for it now because I can!

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
:)

Last edited:

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
Some of us have to take what is going on right now seriously because of our health or a loved ones compromised immune system.
Surely you are not inferring that those who are currently fishing arent taking this virus seriously? Personally, I dont think that you are inferring that but it sure could be taken that way by folk who havent followed your posts over the years.

In my case, I had to drop off the LR trips due to the need to re-locate to central oregon to care for my Mom over 7 years ago. This virus has added the additional personal responsibility of not risking bringing the virus home with me.....just one more year of a long line of years of "loved ones" taking precedence over "me".

As others have said, the LR fishing will be there in the future. but for now? It is just a matter of enjoying OTHERS reporting their trips - to include yours - over the past 7 years.

Hopefully, I will only be missing one year of your trip reports. :)

Artois

Dec 29, 2011
Artois/CA/USA
Name
Roy
Boat
Not Given
WHAT IS WRONG WITH SOME OF YOU. Soda posts a sincere regret that he is unable to fish as much this year and some of you twist it all around to fit your agenda. Although I've only fished with Soda once, I found him to be one of the most sincere and honest passengers I've met. How about just saying "miss ya Soda" and leave it at that.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
WHAT IS WRONG WITH SOME OF YOU. Soda posts a sincere regret that he is unable to fish as much this year and some of you twist it all around to fit your agenda. Although I've only fished with Soda once, I found him to be one of the most sincere and honest passengers I've met. How about just saying "miss ya Soda" and leave it at that.
X2
But as always I think it is not a forum without a variance of opinions. Soda is unique and we all are. I believe in thinking for yourself, but allowing others freedom to do the same.

marlyn

Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
Everyone loves that guy from his reports even those of us that dont know him personally.No one is bashing him or talking smack to him,Opinions are like assholes,we all have one and this forum is for communicating them,Maybe forums are not for you?

Reactions: Husband and wils

RockHopperNCKA

Jan 25, 2017
Santa Rosa, CA
www.norcalkayakanglers.com
Name
Dustin
Boat
Do kayaks count?
I'm actually shocked that we're 20 posts into this thread and the dipshit meme crew hasn't shown up yet.

Take care, Soda. I'd be honored to share a rail with you after all of this madness is over.

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
I'm actually shocked that we're 20 posts into this thread and the dipshit meme crew hasn't shown up yet.

Take care, Soda. I'd be honored to share a rail with you after all of this madness is over.
Thanks brother. I will be looking forward to that day we can share the rail once again.

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Surely you are not inferring that those who are currently fishing arent taking this virus seriously? Personally, I dont think that you are inferring that but it sure could be taken that way by folk who havent followed your posts over the years.

In my case, I had to drop off the LR trips due to the need to re-locate to central oregon to care for my Mom over 7 years ago. This virus has added the additional personal responsibility of not risking bringing the virus home with me.....just one more year of a long line of years of "loved ones" taking precedence over "me".

As others have said, the LR fishing will be there in the future. but for now? It is just a matter of enjoying OTHERS reporting their trips - to include yours - over the past 7 years.

Hopefully, I will only be missing one year of your trip reports. :)
Not at all brother. Those that can fish nowadays is a great thing. I will just be rooting for them every step of the way. I am in there corner cheering them on.

shellback

Dec 18, 2003
templeton/morro bay
Visit site
Name
shellback
Boat
other peoples
im 65 in relatively decent shape. i decided today im going next may. i have some knowledge of virology and can well appreciate that this virus can be curtains for me.
soda- i respect your decision and maybe by next year some of the starch will have been taken out of this thing

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Couple of things keeping me from going. A healthy respect for the consequences of contracting this virus. If I become symptomatic, it could very well kill me. I’m 71 and smoked for most of the last 55 years, so, there’s that, a light case of COPD and a little emphysema.

Then, I have to respect the wishes of my wife. Even if I contract the virus and am asymptomatic, I would have to self quarantine for two weeks upon my return. Not sure I want to do that, away from contact with others, especially my grandson.

So, I’m good, thinking that waiting for a vaccine is the way to go for me. I cancelled all three of the trips I had scheduled. My budget is about $10,000 for fishing trips, so if I can get vaccinated in time, I’ll look for a 14-16 day trip first quarter 2021.