DocSki

Captain
Mar 24, 2007
So. El Monte
Name
James(Doc Ski)Labanowski
Boat
17' Carolina Skiff
Finished up a slideshow/video on some experimentation I have been doing over the last several weeks. Just click on the link and it should open right up for you. As always let me know what you think. It is OK to Dislike it on you tube but please tell me why so I can make things better in the future.

Upvote 0

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
Nov 11, 2007
Baja Sur, MX
Name
Bill Burkett
Boat
22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
Another great experiment from the master.

The only real criticism on the video is you didn't leave the text up long enough at the beginning for anyone to read. I had to go back and pause it to read it (although you covered everything later while talking).

I sometimes use flake in finish, it's always been on top of the wraps, so now I've got more things to try.

Two other suggestions for bases that won't leave lines are lure tapes and Voodoo Flash (a mini braid). I used the Voodoo Flash in the tiger below.

Thanks for posting this Doc.

Swordfish Caster 17.jpg

Reactions: DocSki
Upvote 0

DocSki

Captain
Mar 24, 2007
So. El Monte
Name
James(Doc Ski)Labanowski
Boat
17' Carolina Skiff
View attachment 782592[/QUOTE]
Another great experiment from the master.

The only real criticism on the video is you didn't leave the text up long enough at the beginning for anyone to read. I had to go back and pause it to read it (although you covered everything later while talking).

I sometimes use flake in finish, it's always been on top of the wraps, so now I've got more things to try.

Two other suggestions for bases that won't leave lines are lure tapes and Voodoo Flash (a mini braid). I used the Voodoo Flash in the tiger below.

Thanks for posting this Doc.

View attachment 782592

I know what you are saying about the length of time it was up. I thought of that but didnt know how to lengthen the time it was up. I used the Live Movie Maker but I am so computer illiterate I have trouble using anything other than the basics. I will try to figure it out for future vids like this one. I did some experimenting with pigments and flakes in the final finish but never got anything I really liked. I guess since is am mostly a thread Purist I shy away from anything that covers up work even on the guides so people can see the tightness of the wrapping.

I actually have done what you suggest on the lines left with tape and it is a good way to keep things looking really nice.

Also thanks for taking the time to respond. It is nice to know what people think and that I am not just wasting my time posting this stuff.

Upvote 0

DocSki

Captain
Mar 24, 2007
So. El Monte
Name
James(Doc Ski)Labanowski
Boat
17' Carolina Skiff
Glad at least a couple of you have made comments. Dont know what is happening recently, maybe too much sharing. I sure dont want to be posting shit if everybody is tired of it. As you full well know it take more than a couple hours to do an experiment like this then organize it and then publish it. Last few things I have put up just dont seem to be getting much response. I guess no response is better than pissed off response. Thanks anyway Jimbo. Might be a nice application for you in conjunction with a Dragonscale. Maybe put this under it and then no CP on the dragonscale. Just a thought.

Upvote 0

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
N/A :(
Nice one doc. I like the idea of different base layers for tigers. Have you, or anyone, used abalone veneer for the base layer?

Upvote 0

DocSki

Captain
Mar 24, 2007
So. El Monte
Name
James(Doc Ski)Labanowski
Boat
17' Carolina Skiff
No on the abalone stuff but I am sure it would be much like the tinsel I have used in the past. Works really great under open tigers.

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Doc, thanks for taking your time on these. Really interesting and really cool to see that people are progressing and trying to develop new looks.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
I always see these and rarely comment, I'm sure it is the same for a lot of folks. Love these experiments, you answer questions I have all the time before I can get chance you try them myself. I will be putting some flake in the finish on my next build and see how it looks.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

DocSki

Captain
Mar 24, 2007
So. El Monte
Name
James(Doc Ski)Labanowski
Boat
17' Carolina Skiff
  1. Thanks for the comments guys. It is sort of important to see people commenting because when there are few or no comments I wonder if I should bother posting at all. I am big on sharing information but would like to know if others want the info or have questions. I dont post on every post either but I do try to post as much as possible. That is what keeps these types of boards up and running. This variation really has a lot of possible applications and hope showing it gets some of you to trying new things or sprucing up old stuff. Anyway thank for posting and forgive me if I have upset someone.

Upvote 0

Owen

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 23, 2007
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
www.pictoweave.com
Name
Owen Dare
Boat
4.5 metre Quintrex
Good stuff Doc.
It's a sad part of life now that the majority of interaction has become a "like" button
I think we're all a little guilty of it these days.
As to the text, if you click on it there's a tab at the top of the screen that allows you to set the start and duration time.
Not near a PC but I think it says text tools or maybe format

Upvote 0

DocSki

Captain
Mar 24, 2007
So. El Monte
Name
James(Doc Ski)Labanowski
Boat
17' Carolina Skiff
Thanks Owen. I think I am becoming less tech literate as I get older. Maybe getting a bit senile. Not much new comes easy anymore to me. Sure wish I had a techy like you living next door. Bet you could teach me all kinds of neat shit like voice over which would be nice to know how to do.

Upvote 0

cow man

Tuna addict
  • Aug 29, 2012
    Glide Or. 97443
    Name
    Jake Waardenburg
    Boat
    N/A
    Thanks for all you do Doc. I wish some of the shit I do was Unique and I could take credit for it
    But it's all passed down. By you and others like you. Thanks

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Jan from Humbol

Sep 20, 2003
    Springfield Mo
    humboldttuna.com
    Name
    Jan (As in Dutchman)
    Boat
    Beached :(
    Hey Doc, good to see you and JT are still around and still have the magic touch. I'm still around but live on the Ozarks. I still wrap but mostly freshwater sticks, think toothpicks LOL. I've had a few health issues slow me down some but I'm bouncing back and am going to get wrapping some saltwater stuff this winter as xmas gifts

You guys keep up the great work I still see a lot of eye candythat inspires me to keep wrapping.

Jan Z

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
    Sep 9, 2010
    SouthBay SF
    Name
    The Kid
    Boat
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    I like watching you guys post up stuff and I'm not even a rod builder.

It's art to me. I appreciate it....especially the how toos and time lapse.

Now if I could only save up to purchase some of it....

Upvote 0

HavasuSun

Jul 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Proline 32 "Knot Reely”
    Hey Doc. I am a newby and love your posts. I have watched all your YouTube videos and am currently trying a tiger wrap on my first rod build based on your video! Thank you! Keep posting!

Upvote 0

Auggie

Mar 17, 2007
    H.B.
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    None
    Doc, since I started building rods just a couple years ago I have been so appreciative of your willingness to share your knowledge , ideas, material and assist new comers to this addictive hobby . I also want to thank Jim Trelikes , Bill Havens, Brent Ikari , Jon at Tackle House and Casey at Voodoo and Bill Batson for always answering my questions and sharing tips or providing products and great customer service . When I started I had no idea I would have such access to so much knowledge from the best in the business . There really is a great group of people in this industry . Not just the ones I mentioned , but it seems to the general vibe to help the new comers . So again Doc , Thank you .

Upvote 0

Nirvana

But I don't want to edit this section
    Aug 20, 2010
    Sequim, WA USA
    Name
    Grant Darby
    Boat
    Which one?
    I don't check in too often Doc. Your stuff is one of the reasons I do. Thanks

Upvote 0

DocSki

Captain
    Mar 24, 2007
    So. El Monte
    Name
    James(Doc Ski)Labanowski
    Boat
    17' Carolina Skiff
    Thanks Grant. I usually post here my two FB pages and a couple other sites. Try to get ideas out to as many as possible but sometimes I dont see a lot of response so not sure how many are actually checking the experiments out.

Upvote 0

Latest posts