Some guidence needed

Discussion in 'Baja Bytes By Gary Graham' started by Maloneranger, May 15, 2017.

1. Maloneranger

Maloneranger Newbie

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    Chloe
    Hey guys I am pretty new to this fishing thing and was wondering if I could get some pointers on fishing for yellows and cabrilla down in BOLA. How heavy of line and weights and as well as jigs. I have some salas 6x juniors and DX as well anything else that would jump out to anyone that would be very helpful thanks a ton guys.

2. SoCalAngler1

SoCalAngler1 Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Pacifico
    40 lb test line is the norm for me in Loreto for most critters and the cabrilla will bite is fine. I use the 6x jr's mostly for the yoyo. Weight will depend on depth, wind and current speed. A nice selection of torpedo's from about 2 oz to 12 oz should cover most everything. You may want to bring some 60 lb leader material also if fishing around rocky structure.

Edit: you may want to bring some MirroLures like the 111's or Rapala X Rap 30's, also some large swivels if you slow troll live bait.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  3. Maloneranger

Maloneranger Newbie

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    Chloe
    Awesome thanks for the info amigo much appreciated

4. zadelstein

zadelstein Newbie

Name:
    Zach Adelstein
    Boat:
    None
    Just got back a few weeks ago from a Tony Reyes trip down there. Mirrolures worked great for trolling, blue and white, pink and yellow and purple worked especially well. As far as casting goes if you can find birds working or a school, anything shiny worked for me. I threw a few chrome Tady 4/0s, some colt snipers, some megabaits. Basically anything shiny. When I was down there there were a few schools we found but mostly trolled and picked, make sure to take extra trolling lures.

5. Maloneranger

Maloneranger Newbie

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    Chloe
    Thanks as well my good man. Hopefully we light them up!