Solo West Side 6/6

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Kolina, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Kolina

Kolina Walt

Name:
    Walter T. Okuma Jr.
    Boat:
    25' Force COLLEEN
    At 3:30 a.m. my partner calls and said he woke up with a fever and sore throat. I tell him to go home and get some rest and that we can always go another day. :Dynamite:After unloading the boat and taking a morning run with my dog (Kamalani). I get a phone call from a freind that has engine problems. He has low rpm's I tell him his fuel lines were glogged at the filter and to change them out. Another freind calls and say's he left his cooler in the truck with all their food and drinks. So what is there for a freind to do. Get to the harbor at 6:30 launched and deliver filters and cooler. Now what! I figure I'll catch some bait. Maile point ledge had NADA! I think chuck caught the only opelu's that was there. Head to the barge dragging just three lures. Small aku comes up and down but no bite. I head towards Sierra and pass this massive school of Pilot Whales. About a mile from Victor the rigger comes down hard with no hookup. I check the lure and sure enough the leaders all scratched and marlin was on the loose. I get to sierra and find a good school of 3-6lbs. aku's. The first two swallowed the hook deep. I get the third in the mouth and bait'em right then and head to where I got the marlin strike. No sooner then I get there the aku gets nailed. I feed'em a good ten count set the hook and the line comes tight and start peeling off. The weight is heavy but not screaming a lot of line. What the heck this thing should be exploding out of the watah! Then I noticed a huge Male pilot whale back there. Thinking its trying eat my fish. After gaining some line I realized there was no fish i had hooked this freaking beast. Okay this is about to get dumb. I figured no one was going to believe i hook a pilot whale. I was going get him close so i could get a picture. with 75 feet to go, and the whale is crying and making some irretating sounds. He is hooked in the side of the face and should break the skin anytime now. All of the sudden the another whale comes out of no where and leaps into the air between me and the hooked whale. Life had stop for a few seconds with my jaw dragging on the deck. I realized this thing is going to land on the line. I ducked down and covered my face. ripp-ripp-ripp and bang the line snapped and when i looked up counted body parts and all my poles was still there. I hit the throttle and got he F&*K out of there.
    Trolled to Kaena Pt. on the 700fm with No love. Head in to the ledge for the ride home when the rigger snaps down and the 130 is bent with no line comming out. Put an ono in the boat ten minutes later. Made figure eights and got 3 more. Took the ledge home with no more love there either.

No pics of the Whale for obvious reasons. but I did wash my shorts.
    Pics of the fish to follow.

2. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    DAMN!!!!!!!! glad the whale did'nt get you brother, shamu on the loose!!!

3. aj1976

aj1976 Newbie

Name:
    aj
    Boat:
    23 Seacraft
    Thats nuts. Way to get those onos.

4. BNaks

BNaks Newbie

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    Baby Hawk
    Crazy whales! I guess the bugga was camera shy so he called for back up.... At least got some Ono's.

5. MidwayJ

MidwayJ Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    P-14 "Debbie Ann"
    Holy shit, now that is a fish story! Glad you got some consolation Ono for your good deeds...

6. dausualinc

dausualinc Newbie

Name:
    Kekoa
    Boat:
    30' Knife
    Holy crap, that must have been crazy! Those are some big creatures to have jumping and pissed off by your boat. Glad you made it back in one piece, four onos sounds like a great way to end the day

7. Pupule

Pupule Member

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    22 ft Islander
    Whoa, that's nuts! I guess those pilot whales aren't as smart as porpoises. Porpoises are masters at picking the bait cleanly off the hook.

Good job on the ono. Ono kine grinds!

8. chuck merkel

chuck merkel Member

Name:
    Chuck Merkel
    Boat:
    21 foot Force Marine, Joslyn M
    Good going on the onos Walt. Stay away from them whales!

Chuck

9. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Walt,

Way to get the marlin bite (haven't seen a marlin in quite some time, you've tangled with a couple recently if memory serves me correct), the baits in the water, the whales hopefully educated, the shorts cleaned BUT most importantly the onos...

10. hb1111

hb1111 Newbie

Name:
    skipper
    Boat:
    wanna be
    them whales are pretty smart....

11. rcvowell

rcvowell Newbie

Name:
    Ryan Vowell
    Boat:
    21', Grady White, Fawkes
    Man that is NUTS!!!!!!!!!!! I can see my self wide open throttle and turbo screaming to get the hell outta there after that too!!!!!!!!!!!!! then laying in bed wide eyed and fearing that he was out to get me even on dry land, at the top of the hill.. behind locked doors!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad no damage other than lost line and bait. Great rebound on the Ono's! I have to remember to figure 8 them when we hook one!

12. spock

spock Newbie

Name:
    Spock
    Boat:
    17 currentline
    Walt,

Great story and good that you're ok!

13. pfergy184

pfergy184 Newbie

Name:
    pat
    Boat:
    22' hawaiian hawk
    wow bradah!! that had to been nuts....good thing you ok..

14. navyaircrew

navyaircrew Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
    figure 8's seem to work pretty good don't they...:rofl: