Noah & Scoot

Wishin I Was Fishin
Dec 15, 2008
Menifee
Name
Scoot
Boat
18’ CC Baja
I’m sure this has been covered before, just curious. Besides the obvious, safety equipment, kill switch, pfd, two good radios!! Anything else I should be worried about? I know launching and loading are going to be a pain.

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Personal Life Beacon.

I posted this list in another thread. My suggestion for smart safety equipment on any boat.

1. VHF Radio on boat.
2. Floating, portable VHF Radio on your person.
3. EPIRB on boat and/or PLB on your person.
4. Life jacket on at all times.
5. Cutoff switch connected at all times. Get a LONG rope so you can walk around.
6. Flares
7. Whistle
8. Signalling flags
9. Mirror
10. Compass
11. First aid kit
12. Vessel Assist
13. Float plan
14. Satellite based communication (like a Garmin In Reach)
15. Boat buddy
16. Proper maintenance for boat and outboard. Proper tools and spare parts just in case.
17. Portable battery jumpstart kit

Reactions: Noah & Scoot

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV

Get an ACR PLB and Mustang HIT Offshore vest. Unzip the vest and install the PLB on left shoulder strap. Wrap, roll and zip vest back up.

You wont even know it is there. But when you need it, everyone will know were you are.

But, you have to wear your vest 100% of time or it all means nothing as the boat motors away.

Reactions: Shewillbemine

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
Jul 28, 2012
Fullerton
Name
Wally
Boat
16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
Depends on how far you're going.
I leave the float plan and info on vessel ID description where I'll be.
Have come back home to find it buried with the junk mail. :oops:

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
I don't file shit. I just tell people where I'm going and when I'll be back.

Maybe if you're going someplace different or staying out multiple days and no one really cares about you actually filing a plan might be a good idea.

Noah & Scoot

Wishin I Was Fishin
Dec 15, 2008
Menifee
Name
Scoot
Boat
18’ CC Baja
Again thanks for the replies, never heard of a PLB. Better just going with someone! Gotta work now any way.

kevina

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Bring a broad with you Plenty of ice and beer, Just in case your motor breaks down out in the middle of nowhere.:cheers:

NoLDR

OG BD member
Mar 26, 2003
Sherman Oaks
Name
BRAD
Boat
29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
When boating alone outside of all the regular safety equipment which everyone should have an important part is to FILE A FLOAT PLAN. you can do this with anyone. However make sure you follow your float plan one cannot deviate unless you have informed someone of your deviation. Basically tell someone on shore where you plan on fishing and when you plan on being back and the location you will be fishing. This way if you don't make it back they have a general search area. You should do it on every trip but without a doubt when fishing solo which I do all the time. Landed a big mako 700 plus solo a few weeks ago. Simply an experience of a lifetime. Have fun and be safe

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Don't forget a pair of bolt cutters, big enough to cut through what ever size hooks you might be using. Definitely a PLB
Learned this the hard way. Ornery calico thrashed at the wrong time and got trebles DEEP into my finger. Limped back to dock and found some nice guys with bolt cutters to help me out. Once I pushed the shank past the flesh, I realized I didn't have anything strong enough to cut it off.

Bought a pair the same day.

Reactions: repo805

Charts

Nothing demonstrates hope better than fishing.
Aug 22, 2015
San Diego
Name
Charts
Boat
arima sea explorer 16
I look like the Michelin Man when I fish alone, but that's because I've got everything on me to survive and get rescued in the water after an unplanned entry and no ability to reboard. As Shewillbemine said, have a PLB and WATERPROOF VHF radio on your person, preferably a VHF with GPS so you can read coord to your rescuers. I also have some water on my person (might be a while before rescue). My flare gun pistol is on my person. A signaling mirror is on my person. Chem lights. Of course none of this will matter if you don't also have flotation on your person. I've got a fishing vest that holds all that crap (plus a couple of fishing tools).

Lastly, I say you have to have your flotation (and everything else) on you all the time. If everyone knew when it was they were about to fall over, then no one would ever fall over.

Trayscool

Captain
Sep 26, 2008
Long Beach
www.skipjackmafia.com
Name
Travis
Boat
NO BOATS
Dont leave without this

Mr Lingcod

Mar 20, 2017
Santa Barbara
Name
Jesse
Boat
The Last Soviet
I fished solo once. I found it to be pretty boring. Half the reason to buy a boat is to share great times with friends and family!

So many strange danger situations get compound when solo. Two radios (one battery powered) go a long way. Also personal flotation, like a kayak is huge. It's all about buying time for the rescue if it gets bad.

Charts

Nothing demonstrates hope better than fishing.
Aug 22, 2015
San Diego
Name
Charts
Boat
arima sea explorer 16
I fished solo once. I found it to be pretty boring. Half the reason to buy a boat is to share great times with friends and family!
Spoken like a true extrovert! I go fishing to GET AWAY from everyone! :)

Reactions: Tesoro

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
Brookings, Southern Oregon
Name
Chris Berlin
Boat
21 Arima Ranger
You should should read up on VHF DSC if you are more of a nearshore fisherman. The Coast Guard has had a new system in place for quite a few years now where you are pretty much guaranteed to be able to communicate with them out to 25 miles with 1 watt on a handheld.

If you pop the cherry on your handheld your dsc distress call will be picked up in a milisecond at cg base near you and your position will be triangulated by their antennas and your co-ordinates sent digitally. (along with whatever message you program in your handheld - mine is MOB).

The bonus with using dsc is that you can have voice comms in a distress situation.

Avg response time for a plb is around 45 minutes beforte cg launches. DSC is immediate alert as the alarms go off at the watch commander station!

Someone should make a handheld vhf with built in plb to have the best of both worlds in one package.

Last edited:

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
Brookings, Southern Oregon
Name
Chris Berlin
Boat
21 Arima Ranger
When I fish solo trolling I never wear an auto inflate vest. If I fall overboard I got about 3-4 seconds to polo swim like a mofo to grab onto engine or ladder before the current and boat speed separates me.
If the vest auto inflates then you cant do shit but float on your back like a bloated dead seal.

I also have a knotted drag line I tow off the back if things are a bit spooky.

Reactions: E1 Toro

mykiss

(Oncorhynchus) mykiss...
Jul 6, 2014
Name
Wallace Mathes
Boat
'95 Proline 210 Sportsman
I would second the Fell wireless MOB device; it takes some getting used to but is definitely worth the cost. It passed every test I came up with and then some, you better hold on if it activates from up on plane (why would I know that?).