Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
Hey Guys,
I know this can be done but I cannot find any reference material on it. I have solid spectra on my reels but want to do a knotless connection. How do you get solid spectra up inside hollow spectra? Do you use a latch needle and then pull it back through?

Goals is to have Hollow spectra at the end so I can do loop to loop or serve the connection directly.

divegod1

AKA "unidentified angler"
Jan 24, 2007
HOT!
Name
Michael
Boat
next one i'm on...
If you just use the search feature you will find a wealth of info on here x5

Outhouse

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
I sent Jerry Brown an email on this very subject. He said to run the solid into the hollow about 5' and do an overhand knot at the end and if it made me feel better to put some glue on it. Others have opined that serving the end is better than the overhand knot.

As to how to run it up, I don't know what the tool is called but I have a needle like gizmo with a small steel loop on the end.

divegod1

AKA "unidentified angler"
Jan 24, 2007
HOT!
Name
Michael
Boat
next one i'm on...
you can use the bent wahoo wire to pull it up also, just have to use a longer piece.

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
Ahhh so when people say double it you put it in your needle thing with a loop on it, pull the solid through so it has 5' on each side, then thread the needle up the hollow about 5' and then ..overhand knot, nail knot, or serve or crimp it? I will try this tonight. Thanks!

afraser

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
Or, just do a bimini in the single and use a loop to loop connection on premade leaders instead. Make those yourself or buy them premade. Easy and pretty quick to change (bring some toothpicks).

wifitunaguy

Sep 5, 2008
Santa Clarita, CA...
Name
Keith Crawford
Boat
Long Range!
Not exactly... You need a long wire if you want to double over the solid because you want to feed 5' into the hollow from the spool end out the tag end, grab your doubled over solid and pull back into the hollow.. If you use a loop needle when you double it over you can't get the needle off the doubled line after you pull it through... Thats why I have been using the doubled over wire. For what its worth, it makes the line pretty thick with the solid doubled over. I am thinking of trying a few without doubling the solid but that might pull out... I have been using the nail knot but have also heard that an overhad knot is just fine...

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
... I have been using the nail knot but have also heard that an overhad knot is just fine...
Where does this nail knot or overhand knot go? Where the Hollow and the solid meet? -----o==== ? When you say overhand? Does that mean a series of back to back overhand knots?

Thanks for the advice!

totkid760

Aug 9, 2008
Oceanside
Name
Chad
Boat
ANY ONE I'M WELCOME ON!
YOU TUBE HAS A STEP BY STEP VIDEO ON IT IT CALLED THE CHINESE HANDCUFF KNOT/SPLICE WITH HALLOWCORE. THATS WHAT I USED.

Swarthy Dago

Coredor de las olas
Aug 20, 2008
USA
Name
My name is Nobody
Boat
n/a
Or, just do a bimini in the single and use a loop to loop connection on premade leaders instead. Make those yourself or buy them premade. Easy and pretty quick to change (bring some toothpicks).
word !

scotth

Feb 28, 2006
Forks, WA
Name
Scott Horton
Boat
21' - Silver Streak - Petrel
Hey Guys,
I know this can be done but I cannot find any reference material on it. I have solid spectra on my reels but want to do a knotless connection. How do you get solid spectra up inside hollow spectra? Do you use a latch needle and then pull it back through?

Goals is to have Hollow spectra at the end so I can do loop to loop or serve the connection directly.
very nice instructions on the Sato website...

Sato Crimp and Winder - Unique Products For the Serious Angler - Pro Crimp Kit

1:11

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
YOU TUBE HAS A STEP BY STEP VIDEO ON IT IT CALLED THE CHINESE HANDCUFF KNOT/SPLICE WITH HALLOWCORE. THATS WHAT I USED.
I just searched youtube and only found CHINESE HANDCUFF Part 1 and 2 by user SeaDraggin. I would not use this method. I wouldnt trust it. Dont used waxed floss, and also i have no idea what he was doing in that vid for a serve. That was not a serve at all. That was a big wad of waxed floss going over a connection hoping the glue will do it all.

I think the wahoodad did some tutorials that were posted as podcast on bigfishhappen.com, check it out see if it is still there. David does it right. The guys that work on the sportboats know exactly what works and what doesnt, they get to see the failures first hand. What doesnt work get eliminated and fast. Pulling on a big fish for a long time and losing it is horrible, losing one to rigging failure would really suck.

Fishious

Jan 26, 2006
Anaheim Hills, California
Name
Don
Boat
Hole In The Water $$$
"Solid" spectra is actually a weave, just looser. If you have the patience, you can tease it open using a darning needle or something similar. Once you've got a couple of feet or more open, you can use the same splice you would for joining two sections of hollow. I discovered this by reading posts on other boards. I've used it on several reels, and pulled on some big fish with no failures.