solid glass blank or E-Glass blank for a budget trolling rod.

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Building Forum' started by steelfish, Jun 13, 2018.

1. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    Guys,

can you school me on when a solid glass blank is used?
    Im thinking to build me budget rod as loaner rod, my initial idea is to use a Rainshadow solid glass blank 60-100lb (.695x220x72), being a solid glass I wont be worried to highsticking practices mistakes from friends, if wont be used as loaner I can use it as exclusive trolling rod.
    but I havent saw lately any build on which I notice the builder is using a solid glass rod.
    in the other hand I can do almost the same rod with FSU56XXH for just little bit more money, mostly asking to the rod building folks when a solid glass rod is mostly used and when I E-glass rod is recommended.

as you might know, fishing in Baja and from a Panga there is no place for high end rods like Blackhole, phenix, seekers, etc, many guys have and use those rods on panga fishing (I actually have some of those nice rods too) but you cannot avoid that from time to time the panga in service doesnt have rod holders and the rods are banging all over the place on every single bump (sea of cortez is bumpy as hell).

2. Nick_L

Nick_L Newbie

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    n/a
    "Solid glass" rods are usually built with E glass, not sure what you're asking... Calstar, Seeker, Rainshadow all have full E glass rods

3. FAT CAT

FAT CAT FAT CAT

Name:
    Bill Burkett
    Boat:
    22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
    Solid glass blanks are better now then they once were, but the main difference is purely price. E-glass is not as prone to breakage from high sticking as graphite, so that shouldn't be a problem with that line rating.

4. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    E-glass blanks are "tubes", hollow sticks, solid glass is well, not hollow just a solid bar that didnt colapse as easy as e-glass, seems that the real benefit is in light and medium sized line ratings.

cool, thanks for the answer amigo, the difference in price its not that big when comparing 100lb line rating blanks.
    I also know there are some e-glass blanks with solid glass tips but couldnt find any on a quick search.

since you say current solid glass blanks are better than they used to be, and this is a build just for be a loaner rod I might go with solid glass to keep the cost down.

5. Nick_L

Nick_L Newbie

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    n/a
    Just looked it up, learned something new. Wonder why I don’t see them around that much. Either way, have fun with the build sorry to waste your time bud.

6. K. D.

K. D. Member

Name:
    Kerry Hansen
    Boat:
    RIVER SLED
    Years ago I made 11 rods for different types of fishing from those Pangas for my Son and I. Put a weave on each. They worked great and never had any problems with them. They were all made on composite blanks (glass in tip section). went on a bunch of trips down there on the Captain Veagas (sp). The only thing I didn't like was the check points we had to go thru about 1/2 way down and back with what looked like teenagers with M16s. AND the one time I got Montezuma revenge even though I was real careful, LOL.

7. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    glad you learned something new

never worry about it buddy, we are here to learn and share.

@kerry, that moctezuma's revenge is not funny LOL

I currently using on panga a 8ft phenix axis 802H, phenix BD 700h, SS superseeker 6460XH (this is nice for a panga), and of course you can use them and they will fish awesome on the panga, but I hate to see them banging on the sides of the panga when the rig have no rod holders.

Nick_L likes this.
  8. CRD4Liberty

CRD4Liberty Newbie

Name:
    Spencer Phipps
    Boat:
    Aly Girl
    The major difference between solid and tubular or hollow blanks is weight, action, and enjoyment. The material furthest from the centerline of the blank has the most load on it when stressed. As you progress toward the center each fiber experiences less load till you get to the center where in the scheme of things it's virtually zero.
    I also don't think I've ever used a solid rod that wasn't parabolic in action, compared to a quality tubular blank of like power a real piece. They do make excellent, though expensive, tomato stakes though.
    Rainshadow Tuff Stix have a solid tip, very popular in AK for halibut.

9. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    before posting the thread I checked those RS tuff sticks but the higher line rating I found was 50lb, I would like something like that on the range 80#

10. MATTANZA

MATTANZA old man of the sea, in training.

Name:
    RICK
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
    what kind of action do you get with modern solid fg blanks? the ones from the past have a parabolic action, like a hemisphere.