Solid deckhanding on the Searcher

Lorca

Jul 26, 2018
Olema, CA
Name
Lorca Rossman
Boat Name
Whaler Dauntless 160
Got back a few days ago from a 2.5d on the Searcher. Mixed fishing overall, but had a memorable fishing moment with some outstanding deckhand work.
Nice guy next to me hooked up flylining on the slide, and as he had limits kindly offered me the rod. Fish headed over to starboard, and for a time was stable off the corner. It then dove, started to head forward...and cut sharply under the boat. Shane and I hustled through the crowd across the stern, but the fish quickly got hung up in the prop. Shane and Ryan worked hard with the 20' Y-end pole trying to free the line, but to no avail. After maybe 5 minutes of this, Captain Mike noticed a taught line heading off to the distant surface off the corner. He got ahold of it and started hand-lining it in and realized it was the same fish. Both ends were quickly cut, and while Mike held the fish, Ryan did a rapid double-uni. I reeled up all the slack on the deck as Ryan and Shane cleared tangles; Mike eased the tension over to me and...back on! Took my time with the fish and eventually Shane made a nice gaff shot and it was on the deck, a nice little 40lb BFT.

I've generally found the Searcher crew to be solid, but this was impressive. Bravo guys!

Upvote 0

chilidip

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat Name
    17' Logic CC
    Got back a few days ago from a 2.5d on the Searcher. Mixed fishing overall, but had a memorable fishing moment with some outstanding deckhand work.
    Nice guy next to me hooked up flylining on the slide, and as he had limits kindly offered me the rod. Fish headed over to starboard, and for a time was stable off the corner. It then dove, started to head forward...and cut sharply under the boat. Shane and I hustled through the crowd across the stern, but the fish quickly got hung up in the prop. Shane and Ryan worked hard with the 20' Y-end pole trying to free the line, but to no avail. After maybe 5 minutes of this, Captain Mike noticed a taught line heading off to the distant surface off the corner. He got ahold of it and started hand-lining it in and realized it was the same fish. Both ends were quickly cut, and while Mike held the fish, Ryan did a rapid double-uni. I reeled up all the slack on the deck as Ryan and Shane cleared tangles; Mike eased the tension over to me and...back on! Took my time with the fish and eventually Shane made a nice gaff shot and it was on the deck, a nice little 40lb BFT.

I've generally found the Searcher crew to be solid, but this was impressive. Bravo guys!

Nice! Did you get a chance to try out the VISX12?

Upvote 0

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
    Name
    Almud
    Boat Name
    Wish I Had One
    Echoing the comments. Excellent technically and very customer focused on my two trips with them. Captains and Chef Dan dive in to help anglers if the bite gets hot too.

Upvote 0