Islands Solid Coding and not so hungry yellows - South 9 and islands - Saturday 4/17/21

PENN

Koyote

Hooked
Oct 18, 2018
Menifee
Name
Z.
Boat
Yours
Dude. Don't beleive the hype. EVERY fish you eat ESPECIALLY rockfish have worms. Big Boccaio do have more worms than most around the belly, but just cut that part out. If you are afraid of worms, dont ever eat a local halibut. They are loaded and will actually come crawling out of your fillets. It's a shame to waste a nice big fish because your "buddy" told you they are gross or have worms. IF you're gonna kill it, eat it.

They do not. I'll cook them up side by side and it's almost impossible to tell the difference. They just have gotten a bad rap over the years from guys that don't know better. These are the same people that will tell you Bonita is a trash fish. Bonita is amazing. I like it better than local yellowtail, all day. Be open minded and you'll find a lot of delicious fish that people give a bad wrap.
I know what you mean I found skipjack and bonitos to be good sashimi or poke, even though others bashed it, but better than yellowtail Ali ......lol

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    The back of the boat is sick with the matting or the floor bad ass!

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Do they typically smell bad? I have only eaten one that I cought with other rock fish and didn't notice.

They have a very strong odor that you can smell. I wouldn't say the word "bad" but its a very strong gamy smell that is very distinct. I have only smelled that on bocaccios. It may not affect the meat taste, but the smell is strong. The smell gets stronger the longer the fish is dead. The ice helps to keep the smell down, but you will still smell it. You will know what a bocaccio as soon as you open the kill bag.

Upvote 0