Islands Solid Coding and not so hungry yellows - South 9 and islands - Saturday 4/17/21

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
Needed to run the blue boat and had a rare wind window so we took a look.

Checked The flats for yellowtail. Lotsa bait, no fish seen or metered.

Bounced outside the islands to a couple cod spots. Fishing was slower but solid quality. Instead of puking up red crab, they are all full of “pyrosome”. They are these small, rubbery feeling little animals. They “bloom” from time to time and there are piles of them on our cod spots. Some fish coughed up 20 pieces in various sizes.

With a box full of reds and chucks, we headed to South Island. Found a ton of fish that had zero interest in our offerings. We didn’t have bait but they didn’t want surface iron, yo-yo or slow pitch. Great to see the volume and not shocked. They just need to settle in a bit.
Weather held up and had a nice cruise home for a change.

good luck.

96FD960B-4179-40E0-B429-8FDED82AA924.jpeg

D644CE89-A439-43F1-BAE4-F7D187E083BD.jpeg

3E5B8EE0-2DEF-481B-AA10-EC5B68A08FCC.jpeg

E1F0AD30-FD8F-4F07-A404-0E0247E65559.jpeg

3C2B3A5B-6CCF-40AC-B535-062B63121D49.jpeg

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Looks like some fresh eats!

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
You found a Seadick

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
I'm not sure if I find the pyrosomes more disgusting or the bocaccios in your cooler box.

Dude. Don't beleive the hype. EVERY fish you eat ESPECIALLY rockfish have worms. Big Boccaio do have more worms than most around the belly, but just cut that part out. If you are afraid of worms, dont ever eat a local halibut. They are loaded and will actually come crawling out of your fillets. It's a shame to waste a nice big fish because your "buddy" told you they are gross or have worms. IF you're gonna kill it, eat it.

Do they typically smell bad? I have only eaten one that I cought with other rock fish and didn't notice.

They do not. I'll cook them up side by side and it's almost impossible to tell the difference. They just have gotten a bad rap over the years from guys that don't know better. These are the same people that will tell you Bonita is a trash fish. Bonita is amazing. I like it better than local yellowtail, all day. Be open minded and you'll find a lot of delicious fish that people give a bad wrap.

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Dude. Don't beleive the hype. EVERY fish you eat ESPECIALLY rockfish have worms. Big Boccaio do have more worms than most around the belly, but just cut that part out. If you are afraid of worms, dont ever eat a local halibut. They are loaded and will actually come crawling out of your fillets. It's a shame to waste a nice big fish because your "buddy" told you they are gross or have worms. IF you're gonna kill it, eat it.

They do not. I'll cook them up side by side and it's almost impossible to tell the difference. They just have gotten a bad rap over the years from guys that don't know better. These are the same people that will tell you Bonita is a trash fish. Bonita is amazing. I like it better than local yellowtail, all day. Be open minded and you'll find a lot of delicious fish that people give a bad wrap.
Put Halibut fillets on ice and watch them crawl out the top. Bonies are one of my favorite too. Treat it like a tuna. Cause it is.

Reactions: Koyote

Phil mckracken

Almost A Member
  • Jun 4, 2020
    SoCal
    Name
    Steveooo
    Boat
    None
    Bonito ceviche is amazing.
    Worms. Hhahahah seriously?? So many species have one parasite or another. I personally have not had a problem with it enough to turn me off.
    🤷‍♂️

Reactions: KID CREOLE

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay

Every single halibut I’ve tried to pull the cheek meat out had a big fat worm in it. They’re so wormy, but it’s just extra protein.