Soldering solid rings; who where what when ?

TOTW

Time On The Water
  • Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    I'm really curious about that too, you guys have been doing this way longer than I have, but even when I barely get a bead on and just wet the joint and get everything pretty flush I still can't break the silver soldered rings for the life of me. I should try ringing two jigs to each other and twisting them that way to get more impingement and up the stress concentration.

But can you see any issues with these? First two are from a vertical jig I rigged up, last one is just a test ring, I can't find any of the ones I've really twisted up.View attachment 1274360View attachment 1274361View attachment 1274362
    Those look good to me! The silver joints done properly are without a doubt strong enough. Crappy joints give way with a relatively easy twist. My concern with the silver is durability. I only have my own anecdotal evidence—but I’ve repaired far more failed silver joints than bronze. These are typically not ones that I did initially, but from off-the-rack lures. To be fair, no method is perfect. I’ve seen every one of them (silver, bronze, TIG) fail when not done right, and/or not taken care of—as in left to corrode in the elements on the top deck of a sport boat.

Reactions: RideHPD
    Upvote 0

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
    Aug 14, 2016
    Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
    Name
    Eric Marin
    Boat
    10' Model T
    Or get slammed into the deck bringing a fish over the rail, fish slapping around, aggressive duckbill manuevers to free choked jigs, etc. The fatigue and impact resistance is something I'm interested in as well.

I guess one thing I've noticed really helps is proper bond prep; scouring the joint and surrounding area with scotchbrite then cleaning with IPA prior to closing the ring up really improves the wet out, contains the solder where it needs to be, and makes them really strong.

Reactions: TOTW
    Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Try breaking it with the pliers after, and if you can practically tie it in a knot without breaking then you know what a good ring looks like.

Glad you posted this.

I used a couple of big pliers to twist the ring. Used this method to un-rig some jumbo flat falls I bought a couple season ago from well known tackle shop. The silver soldered joints seem to fail pretty easily. Rings got slightly mangled, but frankly, I was a bit surprised how easy it was.

For perspective, I think it would be impossible for a fish to replicate this type of force because there's no leverage with the lure free to move around. Probably the reason why silver soldered joints are more than adequate unless...

Or get slammed into the deck bringing a fish over the rail, fish slapping around, aggressive duckbill manuevers to free choked jigs, etc.

Upvote 0