backlashjack

Scallywag
May 14, 2007
Alta Loma, CA
Name
Jackson
Boat
Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
A stand up guy if there ever was one. A true ambassador to our sport / addiction.

ifish42na

No Bad Days
Oct 23, 2004
Harrington Park, NJ
www.bhptackle.com
Name
Basil
Boat
Friends With Boats
Great report. 7 words and you get the picture. And to the OP, yes SP is a character and lots of fun to fish with, glad to have met him on our XL charter a few years ago.

Reactions: Soda Pop

Soda Pop

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Thanks for the kind words. Roy is was a pleasure sharing the rail with you. What worked...… having fun in the sun.... 30-40lb fluro…..2/0 hook....

Reactions: Artois

locvetter

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 24, 2015
Name
Loc Vetter
Boat
Loc Vetter Casting
Thanks for the kind words. Roy is was a pleasure sharing the rail with you. What worked...… having fun in the sun.... 30-40lb fluro…..2/0 hook....
Soda,
Are you putting a few feet of fluoro leader to spectra? Longer topshot? swivel, ring, line to line??

Thanks so much.

locvetter

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 24, 2015
Name
Loc Vetter
Boat
Loc Vetter Casting
Mr. Pop uses BHP wind ons religiously...
So, Bill:
Since Basil does not make casting leaders below 60lb, and his wind ons in fluoro go down to 30lb, but are 25 feet -- (Of course Soda might do customs). I was talking to Basil yesterday about this, and he suggested, for light casting, using a little pro swivel between spectra and fluoro.

What I am curious about - and would be very interested in your thoughts on this, too:

When you want to go light for a paddy bait effort, say with 30 lb,-- would the best option be putting your hook on the end of a 25 or 50 foot fluoro wind on, or tying a shorter length of fluoro to a larger wind on or direct to spectra?

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Wind on and leader sometimes are used in the same breath, but the leader is shorter in reality and should adhere to IGFA specs. When fishing tuna and you need to get a bite a short leader works well, thinking on the anchor at Lupe or the rocks exc... but on a paddy it does not matter. In fact I would not break out my stealth tuna outfit for run and gun or patty fishing.

Soda Pop

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Soda,
Are you putting a few feet of fluoro leader to spectra? Longer topshot? swivel, ring, line to line??

Thanks so much.
I fish 100 yards of mono on my lighter line. Then tony pena to the mono.... 3 feet....2/0 hook...… keep it simple.... fluro is a must....

jdrumz

So what, no fuckin ziti now?
Dec 14, 2007
Mira Mesa
Name
Joe
Boat
14' Valco
I fish 100 yards of mono on my lighter line. Then tony pena to the mono.... 3 feet....2/0 hook...… keep it simple.... fluro is a must....
I lost a nice yoke last week using the RP from 40lb izor to 20lb seaguar. Connection slipped, and then my girl lost one the same fkn way. Do you think maybe because of the diameter differential between the mainline and the topshot. Im thinking operator error but I have used that knot for years and have never had issues.

tommyc

Hacker
Jul 30, 2011
Livermore, CA
Name
Tom
Boat
Beatem N' Eatem
Not a long ranger really so I shouldn't comment, but aside from that fact no one is suggesting a pena or RP knot to connect anything but braid to mono/flouro right? The RP will fail if you inadvertently dropped the tag back through the loop in the opposite direction than the main line went through the loop originally. My pena fails occasionally for various reasons so I always pull super hard with line tighteners to make it fail before I fish it.

Reactions: backlashjack

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. San Diego, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
See catching bait off shore is fun :) nice.

In reference to paddy fishing. Might start with 3.5' feet of fluoro before any stops because it makes me feel cool. But paddy fishing normally is fast. Land fish re tie straight mono after the length of the fish has been cut off which was flouro. Or grab fresh stick that could have flouro but I grabbed it so no re tying, not because of the flouro. Getting back in asap before its over. When everyone has one on and people are re tying thier fluoro connection that is a waist of valuable time. Especially if its a tough day and fish are found just before the buzzer. Get it while the getting is good.

Kelps 20-30lb string. I like 100ish feet of mono. The fish are not heavy enough to really load the rod for shock abortion needed for a short top shot. So short top shot hooks can pull on light line smaller fish imo with the smaller hooks that grab less meat.

Albie short top shot hooks pull.

Reactions: locvetter