MannyOjai

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 28, 2019
Oakview
Name
Manny Molina
Boat
SandWish
Three friends of mine went to Santa Cruz Island from Oxnard harbor , no more than 6 is the rule and we checked with a warden who asked for licenses. Calm seas, my buddy’s boat hauls ass and we were to our first stop in front of Santa Cruz in 45 minutes. Worked the kelps with swim baits and Sp minnow for nothing for an hour or so. Moved up just a bit short of prisoners landing. water there was less clear and a bit milky which was perfect. On the swimbaits we got a few short halibut all 21 inches. I got one on a red flake tube. Then it just turned on, we threw swim baits to the shore and slowly bounced them back. We got 10 legal Halibuts and more than that in shorts . Bite was best on calico color bait , but we also got on red flake and Christmas tree. Personally I had short Hali’s all day till the very last cast. My buddies were breaking down gear and I kept casting. A chunky 25 inch halibut on the last cast for me. I threw 25 and 20 lb on Lexa 300 and tranx 300, love those reels for Swim baits. My buddy had the biggest at 27; none were huge but 10 legals on a Bass trip was a really cool situation. For the record only two legal Bass for the day .. no one complained at all.

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Halibut mating season comes to SANTA CRUZ Island. Great read. Bigger fish waiting a little deeper I'd bet. Next time.... live bait for sure. Good day fishing though brother.

MannyOjai

May 28, 2019
Oakview
Name
Manny Molina
Boat
SandWish
thx woodfish. I've spent years fishing with live bait, limited results for halis.. we purposely brought no live bait as we intended NOT to keep any fish. 10 legal halibut is too good to pass up especially in that little eater size we got