Offshore Socal Trinity - Dana Point

oceanmeat

Jul 17, 2018
newport beach
Name
erick adriance
Boat
none
Sat 8/21 launched out of Dana Point on T-Tang's rig and my amigo Jose round 700am. Light rain in the morning which got us SOAKED before even clearing the entrance. Plan was to head out for paddies 267/209 and around looking for dodos. Left the rods at home only had steel. Nothing worse than having a full house that wont bite so wouldnt be problem this time. Rounding past the 267 it got pretty bumpy and made it just hard enough to see any paddies. Finally getting to the 209 saw a bunch of boats trolling and those that looked like working meter marks. 74 degree water and very off color.

Kept looking round till we finally came across a mini paddy 4'x4' that already had jumping dorado on it. Around 930am dropped T-Tang and Jose in and the mayhem began. Immediately both guys got vortexed by YFT 20-50lbs, quickly followed by a school of 150ish YT 8-20lbs and to top it off a school of around 50ish dorados came it. Some national geographic shit.
Water clarity was pretty shit so we could only see so far but worked in our advantage cause they couldnt see us coming and taking their friends. Remember the rough conditions? Guess it was hard for everyone else to find any paddys and seeing us stopped more and more boats came rolling in. Plenty of fish for everyone easy come easy go. I think at one point we had 4 rigs fishing our paddy while we dove it. Nobody got mad or cussed or threw shit. Kind of very nice to see everyone bent and us still shooting em in. Pure co existence humans vs fish. Since the water was super murky our diving activities did not stop the bite in any way.
1230pm
We all been working the same paddy for a few hours and with everyone catching and bleeding I guess we created quite the chum slick over the few hours.
The words you never wanna hear on boat "HEY WE NEED TO GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE WATER!!!!!" were yelled by T-Tang and Jose who immediately were back to back just a few yards off the paddy. I pulled in as quick and got them both out safely. A hammerhead made an appearance and was charging both of them in the murky water. Thankfully everyone was unharmed but I know these days a LOT of boats got a diver or two on board and Ill say with all this warm water please keep an eye out. Id say if you got divers with ya its a good idea to have a tourniquet on board as well as a up to date trauma kit.

Anyways a few more paddies were hit. Every single one had game so Id say 209 is the hot ticket for now. I couldnt quite see where the main tempbreaks were cause tempbreak.com was blocked by cloud cover but again it was 74 deg and murky.

Not everyday you can get on a California trinity (YFT,YT, Dorado) the going is real good out there so Get On IT!!

PXL_20210821_193542399.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

IMG_20210823_160438_451.jpg

PXL_20210821_193045939.jpg

IMG_20210823_160417_782.jpg

Screenshot_20210823-185957.png

Upvote 0

oceanmeat

Jul 17, 2018
newport beach
Name
erick adriance
Boat
none
Predatormonster
Predatormonster
Its a big deal man ! I know how tough it is to get into the school . Cows are next for you . Congratulations!
Upvote 0
oceanmeat
oceanmeat
Thanks man
I thought bft were smarter but these guys came within 5-6ft
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
and, that is just the one you saw....;) one thing good....fear is your best friend under the ocean...it makes you move fast....been there done that....16' great white put me into a kelp bed at Church Rock and I hold the CA record for Blue sharks at 9'2".....the shaft didn't even clear the gun as it hit the attacking Blue between the eyes point blank..later, I found teeth indentations in my stainless steel heat treated shaft.....sometimes, I wonder why I never took up bowling.....

oceanmeat
oceanmeat
That's some precision shooting right there! Close calls like that is what I do hook & line as well!!
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    .....laughing, and I thought the Cal. Trinity was Sheepshead, Whitefish and Lizard Fish. Just goes to show you..... all these years, I've been pursuing the wrong dream....lol.

Nice post... nice picts. I've been in the water a dozen times with Hammerhead sharks... pretty big ones at that... off the Baja coast. Never once did we feel threatened.... but they can be quite curious. Never been bitten by a hammerhead. Always good to be safe though.
    Speaking of that Brothe.... be safe out there.

Reactions: AZFISHUNTER
    Upvote 0