SoCal sheepshead....

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Garrick Villalva, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Arima-bob

Arima-bob Ship faced aquaholic

Name:
    Beeulzebob
    Boat:
    uh....

St. Martin island in the Caribbean?

2. ShadowX

ShadowX I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    None
    One of their favorite food is sea urchin. You find lots of urchins around areas with kelp. Follow the food source and you will find them. Shrimp has been the most successful bait for sheephead. However, a lot of other fish like shrimp also. You will end up catching a lot of perch or other fish that likes shrimp or squid before you hook up on sheephead. There is a size limit and try not to take too many. The urchins are an infestation on the kelp and the sheephead keeps their population in check.

They like to stay really close to the kelp forests. Your best chance is a high/low setup with spectra line so you can work them out of the kelp like a kelp cutter setup. You don't need a heavy weight since most of the fish are in relatively shallow areas (at least in catalina). Locally, you can catch them from Long Beach and up the PV coast. Catalina is also a great place to catch them. I seen them caught in the Horeshoe Kelp area now that the kelp forests are back. It was a ghost town out there a few years back when the Kelp was gone.

BTW, The bigger sheepheads don't taste as good, so let them go to breed and kill off the urchins. Just take some pictures for memory. Their life expectancy is up to 50 years.

Watch this video to get an understanding of how they feed and it give you a better chance of catching one.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  3. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    They are a badass fish...
    Used to do rod and reel commercial live market years ago....caught some real giants ... had one guy take one about 25# for his 1000 gallon aquarium built into the wall of his new restaurant.
    Went in to check things out the night before his grand opening and it had busted his tank open flooding the place ... whoops.

4. mogambosquid

mogambosquid Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    22' panga, 24' diesel inboard
    They also love red crab, when they're thick, scoop em and freeze for later

5. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    The statement about taking only what you need should be practiced for all fish, but sheep head especially are important for the health of the kelp forests. They're having a disaster up north due to the star fish die off and sea urchins exploding in population, too few sheep head up there to keep them in control since the fish prefer warm water. The other major predator for sea urchins is California lobsters, and we know what's happening to them...

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  6. matt86m

matt86m Not worthy of a Title

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    20' Tiara Pursuit
    My bad,,,, Isla San Martín

7. ShadowX

ShadowX I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    None
    They can import some sea lions or seals from the beautiful waters of Southern California. We have an abundance of them here. We would like to thin out the herd and share the wonderful joys of having seals and sea lions around when we fish. There is nothing more exciting than to look under your boat and see one of those fur bags sitting there waiting for you to cast a live bait and snatch it or to eat your catch while you are retrieving it. Just tell them the seals and sea lions love sea urchins.

8. stanky1

stanky1 Member

Name:
    Squid Mark
    Boat:
    Scout 175 Sportfish
    Transsexuals are often referred to as "SheepHeads" according to the Urban Dictionary.

9. neue

neue Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Outrage 17
    One more thought on sheephead fishing. Try a bunch of different things if you are on a spot with sheephead. Sometimes, they want something other than the usual offerings. I've had days when they only wanted whole dead sardines, sometimes just big chunks of sardine, and I had a day at Catalina when all I had for bait was jack mackerel, and I couldn't keep the sheephead off the hook (I was fishing for bass). I just fish for them for sport, and release all the sheephead I catch.