SoCal Shark fishing?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Gut3, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Gut3

Gut3 Newbie

Name:
    John Gut3
    Boat:
    19', Precision
    Hey Salts,

I would like to take my 2 brother-in-laws out This Sunday to fish shark. I have never shark fished before but one of them said he knows how. Still I would like to know more about it and run a few things by you guys....SAFETY 1ST! I want all my body parts!

Target - Mako or Thresher (never tasted them but heard they are very good)

Chum - I have about a scoop of deans, choves and a bag of bassheads in the freezer. I was going to put them in a 5gal bucket w/holes and drag that over the side. I was told to hang it over just so it dips in the water with the swells. Is this correct?

Bait - Do I use the fish heads, live mackerel or ?????

Speed - Troll or drift?

Location - Im thinking of heading out of mission hitting south La Jolla kelp for macks then booking it to the nine.

Rod and reel - Rod/50-80lb glass Reel/113hlw Senator loaded with 40lb mono My heavyset set-up. My bros have bigger set-up.

Rig - ??? steel leader ??? size hook ??? Balloons ???

Tools - Wire cutters? Loooonnnngg Dehooker? Club? flying gaff?

Info - If we catch one and want to keep'n eat it. What is the best and safest way to kill it without a gun. Drag it backwards?

Thanks
    Gut

2. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
  3. Keith Poe

Keith Poe Newbie

Name:
    kp
    Hey Gut3 here is some general basic 411 from another post, if you have any more detailed questions fire away.

I can write all night about the things i have learned after catching 4000 makos and still have alot I will not share but will share some basics that come to mind that I feel are relevent to you and your quest at this time.

I will also add add one of the articles i wrote for the big game fishing journal may years ago co written by Diego Bernal a great friend of the fishery.

The most common mako in our area is under 40 pounds, the future of our fishery that has not had a chance to reproduce.

Most species sustainable yield is centered around allowing them to spawn before harvest.

Males are much smaller than females maximum size less than half.

Females are about 8' 6" when the are ready to reproduce the first time about 350-400 pounds.

They reproduce every other year and only have a few pups at first increaseing in numbers as they grow larger over the years.

It's believed they only live about 20 years and I believe start breeding at 6 years and every other year is 7 times in their life span.

The historic levels are dramatically decreased to say the least as there were 35 blues to each mako in 1950.

Over 90% depletion acording to the west coast highly migratory species plan development team.

The reason the government will not properly manage the fishery especially being it's a white shark Mako Thresher Blue & Salmon shark nursery is they are broke and want to bring in money and keep their jobs.

While it is legal to kill two makos per day any size per angler it is not sustainable and questionably unethical.

There are many species that are alot less hard hit that can more easily sustain the impact of harvest for a sustainable yield.

Basically what i just said is the government is not looking out for your resources and the decision is up to you to be responsible since the government is criminally selling the fishery to pay their salaries and other things.

The decision is yours and you will not hear me bad mouth you since it's your fishery as much as mine and the presure should be focused towards the managers and dealt with accordingly.

I have been involve with alot of research and management effort and have a pretty good feel for the big picture.

Worked with DFG NOAA Sponsored by Scrips and advisor to TBF RFA & UA etc.

I said what I did above because I personally feel sportfishermen should have an understanding of a targeted species before harvesting them as a contributing factor in the management of a sustainable yield.

Now what you asked for is how to target Makos.

This brings thousands of thoughts to mind and I can go in to mind boggling details but will lay out the basics in my openion concerning you for this La Nina cold water season.

Makos are most common in 64-70 degrees but below 64-F is best for larger Mako's.

Usual the dividing line is over 200 pounds is most commonly found in water below 64-F

I have had tons of fresh whole Tuna and a thousand pounds of pure fish oil and fresh blood you name it and none of it has made any difference I could tell.

When a predator is hungry they will not smell one or the other and say they are not intrested.

Live bait not necessary.

New Fishall Chum 310 532 7340 and they have frozen bait with chum.

In the early nineties the largest Mako from the west coast was Sam Bass under 700 pounds.

I was C&R large makos off the Osbourne bank and west end of Catalina an kept it quiet for many years till some trophy hunters started using planes to spot them and figured it out.

Mackerel Tuna live dead and new fish all chum works just as good hungry predators do not care like aristocrats.

I use Terrafin another company I helped develop, they are a bargain for what they offer.

You say you are dialed in with most species so use the same skill with hunting Makos.

Tracking shows Makos are mainly nocturnal feeders and usually go down to the thermocline 120' to rest at sunrise as all the lantern fish squid etc return to deep water and Makos rest till the prey rises again in the afternoon evening.

I like to run areas that I find on SST charts at Terrafin that hold life for most species.

I like to head offshore about 2 3 or 4 PM and look for t life and dial it in then drift to see what direction the drift is going and head up hill from the life in that exact direction on the chartplotter about a 1/2 a mile to 1 mile then head back at 5-10 knots pouring out chum that was totally pre melted the when i do pass through the life again i toss one or two buckets in making dame sure there is alot coming out at all times to make a really long wall of attractor.

Usually if there are any predators the area hey will be at the boat before you stop for an instant hook up.

I try to match the hunting on shore with wind and swell models and structure to maximise the time on the water.

Chum accordingly the more wind the better(right Jamie) and sight fish with all gear sizes available.

Welding gloves a must and a good release stick like Precision.

Circle hooks and thin wire for the smaller ones is good to penetrate their tough skin so the can not shake the hook loose.

Never let a fish get straight up ad down and never let any slack in the line or you will have a visitor on deck.

Be ready at all times to push any predators back out body slamming them as they come over the rail to protect your crew.

Any fish 200 or over i would consider leadering it down swell in gear swimming along side the boat, this is the number one mistake most guys make dead boat leadering a decent size fish.

Makos are not naturally mean in my experience or menacing at all.

I have hand feed many and hold them like kids in the water at boat side petting them like a pet dog.

They seem to respond very well to a meal and friendly contact but be very very careful as if they get spooked anything can happen.

Most guys make a mistake by being way to aggressive when a light touch is a much better way to handle the situation.

They come right to the boat unlike most species unafraid.

Like a fighter if you blow up on them and pull hard they will to like dog backed in a corner but if you take it easy everything usually goes smooth.

I usually use a XL800 rollers and Accurate 270 or 665 up to 200 pounds and move up from there.

The afternoon wind is perfect for shark chumming drifting till it usually slows around midnight but if you pick a windy night even better.

I do not fish makos in the morning as they are resting and Threshers do not feed at night and hit it hared chewing first light.

Mako like swordfish and big eye threshers have large eyes to feed at night when there are more prey available unlike common Threshers and Marlin are day feeders because of their small eyes.

I like to shark on a new moon so i can Bioluminescent hunt them at night at high speeds a method i developed the mimics what they do and can find them visually in the darkest of nights feet from the boat at 30 knots and have had 6 at the boat at one time and stopped and caught them all.

Hope this helps and there is alot more to learn but that should get you started.

S C M O - Fish Tales

S C M O - Fish Tales

4. Jig Strike

Jig Strike . . . new and improved

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    Ho Ho Ho

WTF?

I have a calculator, anyone want to borrow it?

5. Keith Poe

Keith Poe Newbie

Name:
    kp
    Hi Glenn guess you are saying you do not belive I have caught 4000 makos ?

OK if you are forceing me to defend myself I will but rather not.

4000 divided by 40 is 100 nights sharking, pretty conservative actually.

Or 4000 divided by 10 is is 400 nights.

Only been skunked a hand full of times.

Bill Boyce

David Brackmann

Jamie Davis

Richard Hermann

Michael Fowlkes

lots of guys have been with me when we have been WO all night and once took out a scientist Diego Bernal and CBS on the Tide Change out of Long beach with 20 guys from all coast with Don Parentt and Tom Raftican from United Anglers and ALL of the pulled on Makos over 100 pounds in just a few hours with one about 350 pounds.

There's a show ISF Mixed bag on NetFlix of Threshers in long beach and Makos in Santa Monica bay wide open.

Won the AFTCO TBF UA RFA tag flag IGFA trophies captain & angler back to back every year and have more tagged makos that anyone any place ever and the returns to back it up.

I can start writing all kinds of stuff about the ESPN shows and Animal planet CBS NBC Outdoor channel monster garage but do no believe that is necessary or mentioning writing for Archer etc. the list just gets silly and embarrassing.

Lets not do this ok.

6. la vida

la vida Now I love our Prezzz!!!

Name:
    Frank F
    Boat:
    Boat-less (Sad)
    Keith
    I follow your post and and your local knowledge and effort you still put into this sport.
    No need to defend or take offense. Just keep sharing you passion.
    Thanks

7. Fathead

Fathead Member

Haha, hey Keith, how many tags have you had returned? I have one (that I know of) from fishing with you.
    Best night I was on the boat we had 54 makos in 15 hours, not including the blue sharks.

8. Gut3

Gut3 Newbie

Name:
    John Gut3
    Boat:
    19', Precision
    Thanks Keith - Dont have time to read it now but its printing as i type and review it @ work tonight....I will get back to you. Thanks Again!

9. big steve

big steve Member

Name:
    steve
    Boat:
    2100 cc polar
    i would not doubt keith.
    he is probably the best shark fisherman on the west coast in my book! :finger:

10. big steve

big steve Member

Name:
    steve
    Boat:
    2100 cc polar
    that is some great 411 from keith. he is the master!!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  11. Gut3

Gut3 Newbie

Name:
    John Gut3
    Boat:
    19', Precision
    Target - According to Keith, Mako is more for night fishing...We are headed out Sunday morning so it looks like we will be targeting Thresher.

Chum - Answered (Thanks for the contact Keith)

Bait - Answered (more suggestion welcomed)

Speed - Answered

Location - Answered

Rod and reel - Rod/50-80lb glass Reel/113hlw Senator loaded with 40lb mono My heavyset set-up. My bros have bigger set-up. Is this OK?

Rig - ??? steel leader size in lbs??? size hook ??? Balloons ??? ect.???

Tools - Wire cutters? Loooonnnngg Dehooker? Club? flying gaff?

Info - If we catch one and want to keep'n eat it. What is the best and safest way to kill it without a gun. Drag it backwards?

12. Keith Poe

Keith Poe Newbie

Name:
    kp
    Use a bat and crush it's skull

Release stick in the picture below by Precession marine.

I use a accurate 665 for everything 200 pounds and down on a XL800 and a 9/0 circle hook wide gap none offset thin wire so it will slide through the tough skin.

Can't do much wrong in bait choice with a hungry mako but some time matching the hatch catching the same bait in the area can really turn them on.

You should keep cutters on everyone just in case they go over they can cut themselves free.

The thin wire will go to the bone get good gloves welding is the best and careful with wraps especially n blue dogs they can be more dangerous than a mako in some cases.

Mako can't chew it's tail and a blue can and will do the death roll on you and kick your ass if it's decent size.

Blue dogs will roll right up a leader and in the boat breaking the rod and do not under estimate their small teeth.

No balloons sight fish only put a bait in once you see the fish and get the right size gear or you will kill pups with monster tackle and loose monsters with baby tackle.

when the birds lift and the bait splits it will not belong before you see the fish and use polarized glasses in the sun light to see in the water.

The circle hooks are importaint to keep hooks out of gills cause the little guys can't recover from gill damage.

I have to get some rest but there is so much more and please be very careful with the release stick.

The fish can not handle smashing their guts and teeth & gills out.

If the hook is near the gills cut the leader.

If the hook is in their guts pulling them out cut the leader.

Use the release stick out side their jaws in the arch of the hook leader in the other hand same presure in each hand leader one hand release stick in the other against the sharks body weight and force the hook out with nudges using against their body weight

Their tough as nails in many perspectives but have an achilles heel in others especial when steel poles are bashing their organs.

If i am doing more harm by trying to get the hook out it stays.

I never let them eat it I set it instantly an use an appropriate size bait & hook to easily and quickly secure a hook up.

On pups under 100 pounds sardines or a single side fillet is just fine.

Sorry for being abrupt I'm beat but wanted to be responsible and do my part for a sustainable fishery for our kids and the mako kids.

Have fun be safe and be careful with the little guys please their our fisheries future.

Attached Files:

13. Gut3

Gut3 Newbie

Name:
    John Gut3
    Boat:
    19', Precision
    Thanks for the info. looks like Its time to go shopping.

We are just looking for one to bring home.

Will keep u updated.

14. Keith Poe

Keith Poe Newbie

Name:
    kp
    Any time and any further questions I'm by the phone now.

Attached Files: