Socal party boat rod and reel setup input

Senator30

Nov 18, 2020
Ca
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Having owned an SL 50 and still owning an SL 30 I like those reels. I strongly suggest a 7-foot rod for the 50....good YoYo and good bottom (Reds) rod length.
I second the 40 or 50 mono top shot on top of 50 braid.
BUT, if you are tentative about fishing, then all mono will work for a few trips....and save you money.
I suggest looking at BD classified for a good (20~50, or 30~50 pound rated rod) at 7 feet length.... a used Seeker classic, or other good rod, or look for sales in March by fishing stores.
With an 8 ft rod with a 30 reel (probabably a 6:1 gear ratio) with 30 pound mono line.... and ... a 7 ft rod with a 50 reel with 40 or 50 pound mono you are good for SoCal introductory fishing ..... from Reds to Yellowtail. The 30 reel / 8 ft set-up should cast well, has the drag for most fish, and should be much fun. The 50 reel is solid for YoYo or sinkers on the bottom also much fun.
Relax and enjoy fishing -- No need to over think it now.
There is time, after you are 'hooked' you can become a tackle 'hoo like me and many other responders.
I suggest deferring buying the metal frame reels until you are sure you like the sport -- and keep an eye on BD classifieds and store sales.
If you decide to go all in, then look for quality and durability with performance. Reels are always key, but until the fish get bigger rods are less critical, except for niche rods like jig sticks or spinning rods (no noodles).
Tight Lines,

Thanks for the informative reply, i really appreciate it.

As for beibg a tackle ho, i think in already there. I dont have a fishing lic. Never been on a boat. And so far ive accumulated a stradic 2000 w/ 6-12 rod (trout, ither small fish); corvalus 400, abu 5500 and daiwa millionaire 300 w/ 15-30 bass rod; anf lastly the above mentioned ocean combo for which i guess i need a second rod.

Oh yeah, and i dont know how to tie knots very well and dont know the difference between mono and braid.

Upvote 0

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    Thanks for the informative reply, i really appreciate it.

As for beibg a tackle ho, i think in already there. I dont have a fishing lic. Never been on a boat. And so far ive accumulated a stradic 2000 w/ 6-12 rod (trout, ither small fish); corvalus 400, abu 5500 and daiwa millionaire 300 w/ 15-30 bass rod; anf lastly the above mentioned ocean combo for which i guess i need a second rod.
    Since youu are already sliding down that wonderful slope of tackle 'hoo, let me repeat some sage advice from Capt Grabowski......buy slowly and carefully of excellent quality ... he advised that with just 2 very good reels //rods you could cover SoCal a 20~30 single speed and a 40~50 2 speed - to start.

Reactions: pacificscout

Senator30

Nov 18, 2020
    Ca
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    I can work with that. Should i exchange my big 5 sabre for a fisbing lic and find a 20-40 by calstar, seeker, etc

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 27, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    The trips out of Long Beach, LA, MDR etc can get by mostly with 2 setups. A 20-30lb one and a 40lb one. I said mostly because the past couple years the boats getting to San Clemente island and beyond did have some shots at some big blue fin tuna which require a whole new class of tackle. But mostly they are fishing for a few things: rock cod, bass, Bonita, yellow tail and sometimes sea bass. Those are mostly going to be caught on the tackle you are looking at.

Fill your reels 3/4 full with 50lb braided line (called braid) Get 3 small spools of monofilament line (called mono): 20, 30, 40
    Get some torpedo sinkers, 2 each: 16oz, 10oz, 6oz, 4oz.
    Get one little assortment pack of egg sinkers. Normal sizes are 1oz, 3/4oz, 1/2oz, 1/4oz
    Get some packs of mustad bronze hooks. They come in little bags of 10 normally: size 4, size 1, size 1/0, size 3/0
    Get the following lures:
    salas 6x in either blue and white or scrambled egg color
    Salas 6xjr in either blue white or scrambled egg
    (I prefer scrambled egg)

That tackle will cover about 90% of the fishing on your typical local overnight trips. It will also give a deckhand or nice guy on the boat enough to work with to get you set up.

The big 5 Sabre rods are fine beginner rods. Plus no one will want to steal your stuff 😂

You will also want some tools:

a pair of needle nose pliers with a cutter will cut your mono line and help getting hooks out of fish.

a pair of boomerang cutters will cut the braid line. It doesn’t look like it, but that braid is strong and super hard and will eventually dull your needle nose pliers.

You will also want a good jacket. Something that keeps you warm in wind, wet wind. So something warm but also has at least a bit of water resistance is good.

You will also want a pair of rubber boots. Whole threads have been written on which ones are the best, it’s not settled. What is settled is that wet feet suck.

Also, you will need a face mask, most people on the boats like a buff style one because it offers sun protection as well.

If you are going overnight fishing, you will also need a pillow and sleeping materials, I like a cheap sleeping bag.

Good luck. This time of year the fishing is great for beginners. Mid week the loads on the boat are lighter and rockfish are about as beginner friendly species there is.

Upvote 0

Senator30

Nov 18, 2020
    Ca
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Youve answered all my questions about fishing on the
    The trips out of Long Beach, LA, MDR etc can get by mostly with 2 setups. A 20-30lb one and a 40lb one. I said mostly because the past couple years the boats getting to San Clemente island and beyond did have some shots at some big blue fin tuna which require a whole new class of tackle. But mostly they are fishing for a few things: rock cod, bass, Bonita, yellow tail and sometimes sea bass. Those are mostly going to be caught on the tackle you are looking at.

Fill your reels 3/4 full with 50lb braided line (called braid) Get 3 small spools of monofilament line (called mono): 20, 30, 40
    Get some torpedo sinkers, 2 each: 16oz, 10oz, 6oz, 4oz.
    Get one little assortment pack of egg sinkers. Normal sizes are 1oz, 3/4oz, 1/2oz, 1/4oz
    Get some packs of mustad bronze hooks. They come in little bags of 10 normally: size 4, size 1, size 1/0, size 3/0
    Get the following lures:
    salas 6x in either blue and white or scrambled egg color
    Salas 6xjr in either blue white or scrambled egg
    (I prefer scrambled egg)

That tackle will cover about 90% of the fishing on your typical local overnight trips. It will also give a deckhand or nice guy on the boat enough to work with to get you set up.

The big 5 Sabre rods are fine beginner rods. Plus no one will want to steal your stuff 😂

You will also want some tools:

a pair of needle nose pliers with a cutter will cut your mono line and help getting hooks out of fish.

a pair of boomerang cutters will cut the braid line. It doesn’t look like it, but that braid is strong and super hard and will eventually dull your needle nose pliers.

You will also want a good jacket. Something that keeps you warm in wind, wet wind. So something warm but also has at least a bit of water resistance is good.

You will also want a pair of rubber boots. Whole threads have been written on which ones are the best, it’s not settled. What is settled is that wet feet suck.

Also, you will need a face mask, most people on the boats like a buff style one because it offers sun protection as well.

If you are going overnight fishing, you will also need a pillow and sleeping materials, I like a cheap sleeping bag.

Good luck. This time of year the fishing is great for beginners. Mid week the loads on the boat are lighter and rockfish are about as beginner friendly species there is.

Thank you for all the information. You answered all the questions i had and will have in the future. From the fish to lures, tools and clothing. Im confident i have all rhe information i need to go fishing. Thanks a lot.

Reactions: SouthBayKiller
    Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 27, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    Youve answered all my questions about fishing on the

Thank you for all the information. You answered all the questions i had and will have in the future. From the fish to lures, tools and clothing. Im confident i have all rhe information i need to go fishing. Thanks a lot.
    It’s a start. There is a lot more to learn. Most importantly, be humble, let a deckhand know you are new. Tip them well and have fun!

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    Lots of great advice, and southbaykiller pretty much nailed it.

If you haven’t been on a boat before, get some Dramamine and take one pill the night before your trip, another pill about an hour before you board the boat, and maybe one more mid day. Not a good time to find out you get sea sick.

We’re all more than happy to help you spend your money!
    good luck, and tight lines!

Reactions: SouthBayKiller
    Upvote 0

Senator30

Nov 18, 2020
    Ca
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Lots of great advice, and southbaykiller pretty much nailed it.

If you haven’t been on a boat before, get some Dramamine and take one pill the night before your trip, another pill about an hour before you board the boat, and maybe one more mid day. Not a good time to find out you get sea sick.

We’re all more than happy to help you spend your money!
    good luck, and tight lines!

Ive been on a bass boat couple times and didnt get sick. And i went on one of those boats that takes people to Catalina island and didnt get sick. Ive never been on a fishing boat. So we'll see, maybe i dont sea sick.

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    Ive been on a bass boat couple times and didnt get sick. And i went on one of those boats that takes people to Catalina island and didnt get sick. Ive never been on a fishing boat. So we'll see, maybe i dont sea sick.

I’ve never been sea sick on a lake or a fast moving boat, but I’ll toss my cookies on a fishin boat.

Upvote 0

Senator30

Nov 18, 2020
    Ca
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    I’ve never been sea sick on a lake or a fast moving boat, but I’ll toss my cookies on a fishin boat.

Thats something to think about. Is it a best practices kinda thing to take thr pills as insurance for beginners to not trash the boat? Or does thr crew and captain enjoy watching new guys earn their sea legs?

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    Thats something to think about. Is it a best practices kinda thing to take thr pills as insurance for beginners to not trash the boat? Or does thr crew and captain enjoy watching new guys earn their sea legs?

There’s no joy in watching a guy feel miserable out on the water. Sick guys don’t catch fish that need cleaning, probably won’t tip, and possibly not come back. Captains and deckhands definitely want you to have fun and catch fish. More fish in the counts equal more customers too.

So yeah, it’s just a precaution. You might be one of the lucky ones who doesn’t get it, but you won’t know till you go. Even with Dramamine, I still get a little uneasy, but it’s tolerable.

Upvote 0

Senator30

Nov 18, 2020
    Ca
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    There’s no joy in watching a guy feel miserable out on the water. Sick guys don’t catch fish that need cleaning, probably won’t tip, and possibly not come back. Captains and deckhands definitely want you to have fun and catch fish. More fish in the counts equal more customers too.

Yeah, i get it. Ill look into the pills. Id be interested to know of i get seasick or not. Maybe take the shortest trip possible and see how it goes.

Regardless, even i get sick, im still coming back for more and with thr pills next time.

Reactions: Arima-bob
    Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    Yeah, i get it. Ill look into the pills. Id be interested to know of i get seasick or not. Maybe take the shortest trip possible and see how it goes.

Regardless, even i get sick, im still coming back for more and with thr pills next time.

Try a half day trip, that will likely be enough to let you know. Pick a day that’s a little sporty

Upvote 0

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
    AZ.
    Name
    DAN
    Boat
    19ft Bayrunner Baja
    Rough seas and wind makes it sporty
    See if you can handle that and not get sick without any pills/patch. Be thoughtful about what you eat or drink before getting on the boat. If you do get sick eat something. If you barf that up eat something. Eventually you will be able to keep it down. In the end you will feel a lot better than if you had dry heaved all day. I've never been seasick but I've seen what works and what doesn't. A wide open bite miraculously makes it better.

Upvote 0

Senator30

Nov 18, 2020
    Ca
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Rough seas and wind makes it sporty
    See if you can handle that and not get sick without any pills/patch. Be thoughtful about what you eat or drink before getting on the boat. If you do get sick eat something. If you barf that up eat something. Eventually you will be able to keep it down. In the end you will feel a lot better than if you had dry heaved all day. I've never been seasick but I've seen what works and what doesn't. A wide open bite miraculously makes it better.

The plan for me would be to either not eat before or have something very easy lile oatmeal, banana and orange.

Last edited:
    Reactions: yakmandan
    Upvote 0

Senator30

Nov 18, 2020
    Ca
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Do we get sporty conditions in socal year round or during the winter when it rains or other specific times of the year. From my experience we have pretty nice weather for most of the year.

Upvote 0

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
    AZ.
    Name
    DAN
    Boat
    19ft Bayrunner Baja
    Any time of the year it can get sporty out there watch the weather reports. Download the windy app. It will give you some good info on sea and wind conditions.

Upvote 0