Aliboy

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 27, 2017
NZ
Name
David
Boat
44ft Sportfisher
Lots of different ideas on topshots. I run ar least 300ft of mono topshot on all my marlin rigs. I believe the stretch works in your favour as the average rod doesn't have enough bend to make up for the lack of line stretch on all braid rigs. Others think differently though. You can also cheaply swap out the topshot after a few fish or at the start of a new season. I will usually go through 2 or 3 topshots per season.
For livebait hooks I like ringed circles on a bridle rigged bait. When we get a strike we hand feed line to the fish rather than letting the fish feel any weight from the reel. Once it has turned away (sometimes they follow the boat after eating the bait) I will feed it around 150 to 200ft before slowly tightening up the drag in 3 small increments. Works well for us, but our fish are a little larger generally.

DavyJones

Well-Known "Member"
May 2, 2012
Southern Cal. USA
Name
Mike.
Boat
-------
Ya know, after taking another look at the four jigs you have and trying to save you some money, I would say hold off on buying the 1656 angle nose as you already have what appear to be three larger jigs. Instead, take a look at Brack Bart's website and in their light tackle jigs section, check out their Pelagic Breakfast head. I have personal experience with that head and it gets me bit.

Now if I were to fish your jigs behind my boat, here is how I would set them.

Black & purple Zuker on the short corner.

Your KK Pono appears to be some flavor of MJG and I would put it on the long corner.

The Pelagic Breakfast would go on the short rigger. Skirted in either flying fish sense you like that color or in the Seven Strand mackerel clone color sense it is a time proven color in So. Cal.

The long rigger is a little harder for me. I would like to see one of my Pelagic Breakfast jigs laying beside your Pakula jig to see which one is larger. For now, I will assume that it's a little shorter so I would put it on the long rigger and have it re-skirted in pink sense you like that color too. By the way, dorado love pink.

I would say that this is a pretty safe bet spread and would get you started as cheaply as possible. Some of you So. Cal. marlin snipers chime in here please.

As for the Marlin Magic jig. It's big and fat and probably an aggressive swimmer. A good candidate for the short corner. The head color looks like it would be a good match for a yellowfin tuna skirt and that would give it a darker color. Again good for the short corner. More marlin sniper comments please. But I would loose the double hook rig and replace it with a single hook. It's a safety issue. Both for you and for the fish.

DavyJones.

Aliboy

Dec 27, 2017
NZ
Name
David
Boat
44ft Sportfisher
Is that Pakula a med Sprocket? If so it is a very easy lure to run in almost any conditions. I think Peter Pakula suggests it as a long rigger lure, but you could run it in any position from my experience. The med Sprocket in Lumo is possibly the most fished lure down under, but you need the right colours for your area. Great head shape though.

mahi

Jan 5, 2005
laguna niguel
Name
Bob
Boat
Henriques 28 Express
How are you guys setting up your drop back or bait rigs? Spectra to fluoro? How heavy and how long of a leader? What size hook?
I’ll be using my tn40 on an appropriate rod...currently has 500yds of 80 hollow..I can splice or loop on a windon no problem.
My drop backs are rigged this way. I fish 16 and 30 pound high viz line. I start with a 15 feet of 130 Momoi Diamond Hard leader that is connected with a 12 turn Albright knot. I connect a cheap non-bearing swivel to this leader. The other end of the swivel gets a 3 foot piece of 80 pound leader to a 10/0 non-offset circle hook. I bridal rig the mackerel using a small piece of dental floss. The bridal is easy, go through the front eye socket. The bait swims a long time in the tank and will not get thrown off. You can use the spectra/mono, just make sure the spectra is high viz. These fish circle back and if you cannot see the line, it can be run over by the boat. I did this many times before going to high viz. I use Diawa Saltist BG 40H reels. They are cheap, easy to service and have a high retrieve ratio. Any similar reel works fine. Unless you have a big boat with a giant bow, a dedicated 8 foot marlin casting rod is not needed. I have success on drop backs by getting the bait in the water and slowing the boat to idle and swimming the bait in the spread. If you use a circle hook, and I hope you do, put the reel in gear when you have a bite and wind until the hook is set. Do not do the gorilla swing, shouting I'm Bit, I'm Bit. Give the fish a good solid 8 count and watch the show. It will be fun.
Bob