I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 6, 2004
Fountain Valley, Ca
Name
Aaron
Boat
Parker 2310WA
6F7A7DE1-1349-471A-A780-04D5F64F81E6.jpeg
so ive read about every post here about so sal marlin fishing and talked with some of the guys that really know their stuff, and now I need to get my first so cal marlin. I caught one on the Cortez many years ago aboard the freedom while fishing bluefin but but busted him off right at the boat so I don’t 100% count that one. I’ve caught a wahoo, Opah, and all the other great fish so cal has to offer, I need to check this one off my list...here are the 4 jigs I currently own and will re-rig but what do you guys think about this as a starting spread? I’m in a parker 2310, no outriggers. How would you set them in the spread?
1)zuker 2
2) KK Pono given to me by Ken in O’side
3) Pakula , caught my SoCal wahoo on it
4) marlin magic

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
where you run them is the most important thing....preferably right in the area where there are plenty of hungry marlin

bayfisher86

Feb 6, 2004
Fountain Valley, Ca
Name
Aaron
Boat
Parker 2310WA
where you run them is the most important thing....preferably right in the area where there are plenty of hungry marlin
Such a smart answer!!! Never would have thought of that...can you try and be useful though? I literally asked where you would run them in the spread...please post on someone else’s thread and waist their time, and stop wasting mine

bayfisher86

Feb 6, 2004
Fountain Valley, Ca
Name
Aaron
Boat
Parker 2310WA
Definitely add some pink to your arsenal. This is yesterday. View attachment 1054376 q
I definitely intend on adding a few more jigs to the arsenal... Jimmy Decker is a believer in pink and that’s one thing I’ve picked up on, also adding something flying fish to the arsenal...I’m just curious how you guys think I should run them in the spread? 2-3 wakes on the inside and 6-7 on the outside?

Pescador Paul

Jun 11, 2004
Carlsbad, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
Sold the Pursuit- Only a kayak and Wave Runner now
I strongly suggest trolling a ballyhoo off an outrigger.

Paul

Reactions: cchris

DavyJones

Well-Known "Member"
May 2, 2012
Southern Cal. USA
Name
Mike.
Boat
-------
I have outriggers and I point them straight back instead of out to the sides. I red an article on the internet where the guy said to stagger the jigs one jig to a wake and first one jig on the port side and the next jig on the starboard side back and forth. This way you double the amount of water you are actually fishing from close to far. Made sense to me so I tried it last year and It worked for me. By the end of the season, I had been bit on all four positions. The outriggers with the two longest jigs in them will raze your lines up and help keep them all from getting tangled during a turn.

Put your biggest most aggressive jigs in close and your smaller jigs further back. And Dark colors in close to stand out in all the whitewater and lighter more colorful jigs further back.

Outriggers are pretty much mandatory but you can't afford them. But if you are creative, you could probably rig something up. A 21ft Parker has a short cockpit and if you have rod racks on top of your roof, you could try buying some flat line release clips and attach them to broom handles and put them in the racks. Or even other rods not in use at the time.

Something to think about.

DavyJones.

Reactions: sueno

bayfisher86

Feb 6, 2004
Fountain Valley, Ca
Name
Aaron
Boat
Parker 2310WA
I have outriggers and I point them straight back instead of out to the sides. I red an article on the internet where the guy said to stagger the jigs one jig to a wake and first one jig on the port side and the next jig on the starboard side back and forth. This way you double the amount of water you are actually fishing from close to far. Made sense to me so I tried it last year and It worked for me. By the end of the season, I had been bit on all four positions. The outriggers with the two longest jigs in them will raze your lines up and help keep them all from getting tangled during a turn.

Put your biggest most aggressive jigs in close and your smaller jigs further back. And Dark colors in close to stand out in all the whitewater and lighter more colorful jigs further back.

Outriggers are pretty much mandatory but you can't afford them. But if you are creative, you could probably rig something up. A 21ft Parker has a short cockpit and if you have rod racks on top of your roof, you could try buying some flat line release clips and attach them to broom handles and put them in the racks. Or even other rods not in use at the time.

Something to think about.

DavyJones.
Thank you for that info! That is all really great stuff..I can afford the outriggers but right now other things come first, wanna try out this marlin deal this season and probably buy a set for next season. I like the broom handle idea, it’s given me some things to think about. If we’re just talking about raising up my line I think I can do that..I do have some flat line release clips I can use. I have some aluminum extendable poles I can probably screw the release clip into...
I’m guessing spread and speed is some of the most important things...I’ve heard 7-10mph is optimal?

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Black/Purple and Black/Green are really the only colors you'll ever need for SoCal.

Outriggers would be best for running 4 lines.

Ideal speed is based on your wake. You want to set it right where the wake cleans up. Usually around 7 knots. Set the flat line lures right were the wake cleans up. Set the outrigger lures two more waves back.

Ideally you have a live mackerel ready for drop back.

Reactions: Mo Betta

DavyJones

Well-Known "Member"
May 2, 2012
Southern Cal. USA
Name
Mike.
Boat
-------
It varies from boat to boat. Last year my teacher told me to slow down one half knot and retract my trim tabs to full up to clean up my wake. It worked. I'm now running between six and one half and seven knots. Of course your speed will very according to sea state and which direction you are traveling. Into the swell verses going with it or in the trough but I try to stay in that zone as best I can.

Yes, with your riggers straight back, that will do two things for you. raze your lines to allow your shorter lines to pass under your longer ones, and also help your jigs to pop and swim properly. Different head shapes do different things in the water. Here is a great tutorial to give you a place to start.

http://www.blackbartlures.com/xcart/tips.php?id=7&mode=show_article

You can look up their head shapes elsewhere in their website.

Be prepared to dedicate yourself to full days of marlin fishing ONLY. None of this fish a couple of hours and then going in to fish the kelp beds. But even the most dedicated of us can't help stopping on a really good kelp paddy or a tuna foamer.

This one is just to keep you from getting any sleep tonight.

DavyJones.

bayfisher86

Feb 6, 2004
Fountain Valley, Ca
Name
Aaron
Boat
Parker 2310WA
Thanks a lot for that info guys! Spread and speed is what I’m really trying to learn...I know all about slack tides, bait, tailers verse sleepers, temp breaks etc...planning to give it a shot in the next week as I’ve been given some info the fish are biting and where’s it’s happening..gonna read up on the Black Bart site and watch the video...online research is a little slim on striped marlin as most guys focus on the blues/blacks in other parts of the world

Aliboy

Dec 27, 2017
NZ
Name
David
Boat
44ft Sportfisher
Lure placement can take a while to get right on your boat. Couple of things I would check and do. One is to run the lures on the wave faces of your wake. It helps keeps the leader out of the water and helps the lures swim better. They are also more visible to you which can be useful when you are wondering if there is a fish after one.
A 23ft boat will be chewing a lot of gas at 8knts which is about where those lures will run well unless you can add some height to the towing point. Your boat will be much more (maybe twice as) efficient on gas at say 6.5 - 7knts, but add height if the lures look a little lazy. They should be popping reasonable aggressively rather than lazing along.
Without outriggers I would start by running one corner lure on the face of the 2nd or 3rd wake wave and the other one wave face further back. You may find a clear wake window on one side that isn't on the other, and that may affect which side you run the shortest lure on. On my boat I have a clear wake window at the 2nd wave face on the starboard side, so that is my short lure. Use the clear window if you have one. I would then run one down the middle far enough back to be in clean water, and another one way behind that from a broom handle etc in the rocket launcher to get as much height as possible. Set up a tag line with a release clip or just use a rubber band if no clip. Tag line makes life easier. For the rubber band just take 8 to 10 turns around the line and tie it to the tag line. I put a small plastic key float on mine so it drops straight into the cockpit when it releases rather than getting blown up onto the roof etc. Usually, I would run the larger lures on the corners and the smaller lures further back.
I fish a lot for Stripies, but in a different part of the world. One lure that has been effective for me is a cheap Ilander chrome bullet head towed in the shotgun (far back) position. With no natural bait added it has a real skittering motion that seems to work well for me.
As someone already mentioned, having a livebait bridle rigged and ready to toss can catch you a fish that isn't eating your lures. Read up on livebaiting with circle hooks and how to bridle rig a live bait. Basic idea is when a fish is following a lure without inhaling it, slow down and drop the live bait back into its face as you pull in the lure. When the fish grabs the livebait, feed it plenty of line with as little tension as possible before slowly easing up the drag. Good luck out there.

Reactions: yakdout

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
FYI,you cant out run a marlin,cant tell you how many I have caught at 12-13 KT running from one area to another.They usually wont stay in a rigger but unless your running and gunning,it does not hurt to leave them in.Tom

waynesworld

Apr 24, 2006
Escondido
Name
Wayne
Boat
Sold it -need a ride
See if you can get your hands on Peter Pakula's video " Between the lines"
Lots of great info

bayfisher86

Feb 6, 2004
Fountain Valley, Ca
Name
Aaron
Boat
Parker 2310WA
1F52F7BC-DC52-48B5-8123-6093E1B08FFE.png
Awesome info from you guys. I truly appreciate it. I’m definitely going to continue to read and watch videos...I really wanna get one! There have even been a few of you that have reached out to me to talk on the phone about it and that is above and beyond! I will take you guys up at some point this week when life slows down.
As I don’t have a pink or flying fish colored bait in the lineup I was thinking about getting this jig in the photo. From what I’ve read it’s extremely productive. Thoughts on adding this one?

Aliboy

Dec 27, 2017
NZ
Name
David
Boat
44ft Sportfisher
If you end up trolling a little slower to extend your fuel range thost cut face lures may swim better than some of the flat or cup face ones.

Reactions: Mojo1

Mojo1

Apr 24, 2015
Ca
Name
None
Boat
None
Definitely add some pink to your arsenal. This is yesterday. View attachment 1054376 q
lol
View attachment 1054786 Awesome info from you guys. I truly appreciate it. I’m definitely going to continue to read and watch videos...I really wanna get one! There have even been a few of you that have reached out to me to talk on the phone about it and that is above and beyond! I will take you guys up at some point this week when life slows down.
As I don’t have a pink or flying fish colored bait in the lineup I was thinking about getting this jig in the photo. From what I’ve read it’s extremely productive. Thoughts on adding this one?
a must have without a doubt, notice the pink? you guna catch em for sure.

Reefer

May 21, 2006
San Diego
Name
Bob
Boat
Pez Vela
First another triple, then taking a breather with
no hooks in our spread due to over abundance of fish.

bayfisher86

Feb 6, 2004
Fountain Valley, Ca
Name
Aaron
Boat
Parker 2310WA
My parker gets much better gas mileage running around 8-10knts then 25knts....for this venture gas is not a concern...gotta burn it to catchem...

bayfisher86

Feb 6, 2004
Fountain Valley, Ca
Name
Aaron
Boat
Parker 2310WA
First another triple, then taking a breather with
no hooks in our spread due to over abundance of fish.
That’s a great video...definitely gets the adrenaline going!! I’m going to look for the Pakula video as well...I’m thinking I may need to sell some gear to invest in outriggers. One member has a set that I would love to have but bills come first so I’ll be going through my inventory to unload some stuff as it seems they will really increase my chances

DavyJones

Well-Known "Member"
May 2, 2012
Southern Cal. USA
Name
Mike.
Boat
-------
Bayfisher86. GET THAT JIG!

Funny how things work. Maybe four years ago now I picked up my first Black Bart head. The little Pelagic Breakfast head. It caught me fish and I became a fan. As I learned more about how jig heads work and where to place them in the spread I added the Eleuthera Plunger and the Cabo Prowler heads into the spread. Last year the Elerthere Plunger got bit three times for one fish including a double hookup. The other on the Pelagic Breakfast. I've been trolling all Black Bart heads for four years now.

At the end of last season I contacted Black Bart directly. Told them what heads I was dragging and where and asked their advice on improving my trolling spread. They suggested a Mini 1656 angle nose so I bought one. I re-skirted it to the Mean Joe Green ( MJG ) color. I was out last weekend and that thing is amazing.

Watch that marlin taste video again and look closely at the drone footage and how the jigs swim. Look at the tight wiggle that they have. The 1656 swims like that. It throws a slashing rooster tail splash when it pops, it dives and zig zags from side to side and has that tight wiggle. I screams "Here I am and I'm saying your mother is a cheap whore. What are you gonna do about it?"

The jig is 12 inches long which is the same size as a Zuker 5.5 that I measured but it's a tad smaller in diameter. It has all that action down to speeds as low as 6.5 kts and it will live on my short corner for the rest of the season.

Go to this website.

https://www.anglerscenter.com/

Then go to their store. There're local. They have a large selection of skirts and you can have them re-skirt your jigs to colors that work well here in So. Cal.

DavyJones.

bayfisher86

Feb 6, 2004
Fountain Valley, Ca
Name
Aaron
Boat
Parker 2310WA
Yah from what I was reading that’s a good job to have in the spread...with my current 4 do you think I should buy the head and have them reskirt it or fish it as is? I like the pattern as kind of a flying fish...it would be one of the lighter jugs in my pattern...do any of you guys use tag lines on your outriggers? I figure with my boat being a little smaller the dropback angle won’t be huge and like Pakula says in his video it gives the fish a little time to grab the bait and turn thus giving a good hookset

konared

Oct 22, 2004
Crystal River, Florida
Name
Doug
Boat
Kayak
An old friend of mine is a pretty good California marlin fisherman.
He does not like trolling, so he won't fish marlin until September, when they start to feed on mackeral.
I lived in Kona for 17 years, loved to troll. Still have boxes of Hawaii lures.
If you want to cover ground quick I'd suggest a couple of Mold Craft medium sized soft heads, any color.
They run true at 15knt

Reactions: bayfisher86

bayfisher86

Feb 6, 2004
Fountain Valley, Ca
Name
Aaron
Boat
Parker 2310WA
How are you guys setting up your drop back or bait rigs? Spectra to fluoro? How heavy and how long of a leader? What size hook?
I’ll be using my tn40 on an appropriate rod...currently has 500yds of 80 hollow..I can splice or loop on a windon no problem.