SoCal Inshore Thresher Fishing

JakeFerguson

• Feb 13, 2021
    Southern California
    Name
    Jake Ferguson
    Boat
    Striper 220 Center Console
    Hello everyone, over the past year I have spent a lot of time fishing various piers in Orange County. I've seen a lot of smaller thresher sharks caught and would really like to catch one. Recently I joined a boat club and now have access to fish on the open water rather than the pier. If anyone has any advice on fishing for thresher sharks from a boat, please let me know. Any tackle tips, locations, ideal conditions, depths, and rigs would be greatly appreciated. The boat is in Dana Point, so I'd say my range is from Newport to San Onofre. I'd prefer to fish inshore, which shouldn't be a problem because all the sharks I've seen caught have been from piers. Thank you to anyone who responds, I appreciate it. Have a good day everyone.

My One
    My One
    YouTube search a guy named The Perch Jerker, he just posted a good video on catching some local Thresher sharks.
    Upvote 0

JakeFerguson

• Feb 13, 2021
    Southern California
    Name
    Jake Ferguson
    Boat
    I would give you better advice if I could, but slow troll a weighted mackerel with heavy tackle, within a few miles of the beach. Searching here probably will give you some much better advice.
    I appreciate the response. I'll keep looking, but this is still helpful. Thank you.

Upvote 0

jrodda

Your Ad Here!
    Sep 8, 2012
    United States
    Name
    Jeremy Rodda
    Boat
    15' Saturn SK470XL "Mosquito"
    On the same train as you, so it's all fresh on my mind. In a nutshell:

Haven't got one yet, but I'm pretty confident with the info I got. Tight to the beach, inside 40' of water or a couple hundred yards of the beach. Find birds, you'll find bait, and maybe sharks. Off color water a plus. Weighted mackerel drifted or slow trolled. Trolling rapala magnums works too but good chance of fouling them and shark probably won't survive the fight. Could use wire leader but 100#+ mono rub leader works just as well. 30-50# tackle for a healthy release. You can play them on ultralight tackle if you wanna get cute with it, though.

I saw some numbers that claim threshers are currently on a 5-8% annual climb in numbers on the west coast. Not sure if that accounts for their recent popularity as an instagram fish though. They sexually mature at 10ft total length. A slow growing resource but a tasty one. Play nice with them and good luck!

Reactions: JakeFerguson
    Upvote 0

JakeFerguson

• Feb 13, 2021
    Southern California
    Name
    Jake Ferguson
    Boat
    On the same train as you, so it's all fresh on my mind. In a nutshell:

Haven't got one yet, but I'm pretty confident with the info I got. Tight to the beach, inside 40' of water or a couple hundred yards of the beach. Find birds, you'll find bait, and maybe sharks. Off color water a plus. Weighted mackerel drifted or slow trolled. Trolling rapala magnums works too but good chance of fouling them and shark probably won't survive the fight. Could use wire leader but 100#+ mono rub leader works just as well. 30-50# tackle for a healthy release. You can play them on ultralight tackle if you wanna get cute with it, though.

I saw some numbers that claim threshers are currently on a 5-8% annual climb in numbers on the west coast. Not sure if that accounts for their recent popularity as an instagram fish though. They sexually mature at 10ft total length. A slow growing resource but a tasty one. Play nice with them and good luck!
    This was very helpful, thank you for the tips. Good luck out there, I'm sure you'll get one soon.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    Reactions: JakeFerguson
    Upvote 0