Spoons

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat Name
23' Center Console
What are the sought after and profitable commercial fishing permits available in socal? I know lobster permits are probably at the top. What else is available?

I know albacore, halibut, and white sea bass fall under open access and don't require any limited entry permits.

Just trying to figure out what permits i'd look for if I ever moved to SD and looked for a commercial boat. Although i'm thinking charter business is probably more profitable. How fast do the overnighters run at cruising speed?

Thanks in advance.

Erik

Upvote 0

Afry

Capitán
Jul 5, 2005
Ramona, Ca
Name
Arnie
Boat Name
38 Mediterranean, 23 Key West
FISHY said:

.....is how many you'd have to tie per hour on your own charter boat.

Upvote 0

OBfishguy

Aug 22, 2004
OB
Name
Justin Iacino
Boat Name
pallet with oars
60 knots? oh that must be a joke. 6.0 is probably a better estimate for the commercial guys.
Mudcrab permits maybee not much of a market. Most of the other permits I know of require you to buy two retire one and fish the other. It is a way of reducing overall commercial fishing nearshore. I know this is the fact for live fish permits (sheaphead, black cod). Really hook and line fishing is the only open access I know of and it extends to most fish, however commercial quota's dont leave much room for profit. Pm me if you like I know several commercial capitains and can probably find your answers.

Upvote 0

Afry

Capitán
Jul 5, 2005
Ramona, Ca
Name
Arnie
Boat Name
OBfishguy said:
oh that must be a joke.

Standard answer when we don't know what the hell we are talking about but must give our .02 anyway.

However, if anyone finds a 60 knot sportboat I'd pay for a ride.

Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat Name
23' Center Console
Afry said:
Standard answer when we don't know what the hell we are talking about but must give our .02 anyway.

However, if anyone finds a 60 knot sportboat I'd pay for a ride.

It's true what they say about BD, jackass for sure!! I'm proud to be a member!!

I'm not really sure what i'd like to do if I moved out there. I know the charter business has got to be good out there for sure. Right?

I commercial crab and salmon fish out here in Norcal right now but they've got so many limitations on us right now that it's tough to make a living. I do it part time and I barely break even with all the slip fees, insurance, etc. I wonder if it's lucrative to be a socal commercial?

Upvote 0

Afry

Capitán
Jul 5, 2005
Ramona, Ca
Name
Arnie
Boat Name
"I know the charter business has got to be good out there for sure. Right?
"
Good question....anyone out there?

I gotta believe the fuel costs are taking the fun out of it for everyone. The word "lucrative" scares me as well. I have no idea but I'll bet the local commercial guys work their asses off just to get by. Of course I'd rather work to get by and live here in SD with our weather and seas then Norcal. Something about the quality of life.

Upvote 0

umoa

silent
Feb 28, 2006
unknown
Name
jimmy
Boat Name
18' starcraft "big knockers"
theres one charter boat that runs out of florida or the gulf coast states wheres its actually a speed boat/converted for fishing, where they do 1 day trips where it'd take others 1 day just to get to the spot.

Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat Name
23' Center Console
Jig Strike said:

I work a regular job full time. :) No way can I survive on commercial fishing alone.

Upvote 0

McKee

Got Bait?
Jun 16, 2005
S.D.
Name
McKee
Boat Name
18'
stangclassic66 said:
.................I barely break even with all the slip fees, insurance, etc. I wonder if it's lucrative to be a socal commercial?

It's the fucking same. The only way to make any money is if you work 24/7. if not U loose.

Same with 60 knot sportboats. The reason why there all owner operated, is becouse the owners aint got no money to pay anyopne else to do it.

Upvote 0

umoa

silent
Feb 28, 2006
unknown
Name
jimmy
Boat Name
18' starcraft "big knockers"
misuse said:
Move to Peurto Vallarta and work for Josh. $100 a day and all the whores you can take.

:eyepoppin this would be a badass job for a college student

Upvote 0

Sherrita

Steve
Apr 12, 2004
Pt Loma
Name
Steve Perry
Boat Name
32' Blackfin
"Profitable charter boat" ?
If I had kids to put thru college, I wouldn't use Sherrita.

Policies, regulations, laws & enforcement,
are made by people in buildings,
...........not on boats.

American fishermen & farmers ?
Fish & food can be cheaply imported from wherever allowing international trade to support foreign policies,
...........and money exchanging hands at the top.

The idea of "which would be the most profitable" is cool.
My answer: fish on several different boats, and pick a lifestyle.

Upvote 0

Latest posts