SoCal Barracudas!!

Mar 15, 2017
Anaheim, CA
Name
Matthew Colton
Boat
No Boat (YET)
Looks like the barracudas are showing up in numbers from 22nd street to some shortys in dana point! fathers day weekend is this weekend, I'm sure a party boat is many peoples go to. What are people using? Lets get the low down on this wave. What color irons, what bait, what kind of leaders, all the fun stuff! Discuss

Upvote 0

pescadito

Aug 20, 2007
rosemead, ca
Name
john
Boat
n/a
standard irons are tady c or salas j-pot in black and white, blue and white, mint and white, or any baitfish color combo. my go to recently has been all mint.
they'll eat the full sized jigs as well as the smaller 1 oz krocodiles as well. They'll eat the coltsnipers, but why burn the cash on those and ruin the paint job on them? the other jigs will work just fine. throw the jigs on min 30 pound, and 40 is ideal so you can get your fish in quick before the dogs get wind of a struggling fish on the line. 9 foot jig stick that's rated 20-50 works just fine for me, and last weekend I used the tranx 4oo for the first time and really enjoyed the reel.

bait- 25 pound test floro will work just fine and straight wind after you hook up to minimize the bite offs. hook size depends on the size of the bait, whether it be anchovies or dines. anywhere between 2-2/0 is ideal for cudas. do not use wire leaders. you won't get bit off, but you also wont get bit nearly as often either. save the designer hooks at home. use the cheaper mustads that work just fine but cost way less. If you get bit off by a cuda, it hurts way less in the pocket book than losing owners or gamakatsu.

Reactions: MxG and frshnclean
Upvote 0

r8rs4lf

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF
I've been catching cudas locally here in the horseshoe.

UC CE900 Monster with a Tranx 500HG/80# Maxcuatro to a short 50# mono leader.

They have been hitting the Tady C single hook in mint/white. Honestly, I don't think it matters as long as it swims good.

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
Cudas bite just about anything. Krocodiles work great.

Upvote 0

Yella1

So Fishy
Aug 24, 2017
San Diego, CA
Name
Jarrod
Boat
Pay to Play
They have been hitting the Tady C single hook in mint/white. Honestly, I don't think it matters as long as it swims good.

Agreed. Those Cudas are biting like crazy all the way down to the Coronado islands, just south of San Diego. I was just there yesterday and those logs were everywhere.

IMO, just stick to big jigs that swim right. Let them chomp on metal instead of risk them biting through your line. It still might happen even with a big iron, but not nearly as often. Plus, one guy had his iron tied on with 2 feet of wire leader. He caught more fish with that rig than anyone else on the boat (Yellowtail and Cuda). That jig is moving so fast, the fish don't notice the wire, apparently.

Color doesn't matter. Just make sure it swims well. :jig: They were biting on mint, blue/white, scrambled egg, and jigs with no paint left on them at all.

If you really want to use live bait, I would use a circle hook. More chance to get them in the jaw. As others have said, you'll still get bit off pretty often.

Upvote 0

pescadito

Aug 20, 2007
rosemead, ca
Name
john
Boat
n/a
I agree that a good swimmer is best. if they are biting full speed, definitely switch to a larger jig. I've had cudas fully choke down a tady c and have to surgically remove it. that's the sign to bump up to a larger profile jig. they'll eat a 45 or 7x no problem. also might want to consider a tady c or 7x jr with the single fixed hook as a good option so you don't have to touch the snot sticks. I love fishing cudas, but HATE touching them.

Reactions: Yella1
Upvote 0

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
Do cudas like warm water or cold water? Seems ever since last year the count have been up, haven't seen them this wide open in years.

Upvote 0

Juan23

Almost A Member
May 31, 2016
Long Beach
Name
Juan Ramirez
Boat
I wish...
Just wondering..
How many of you guys even take them home or clean them on the boat?
I know a lot of guys that like killing them but never eat them

Upvote 0

K.W.

Almost A Member
Apr 23, 2005
L.A.
Name
KW
Boat
S.S. Minnow
Grilled snot logs are the bomb! They don't freeze for shit so you have to cook them quickly. Btw, I'd be in favor of a five fish limit as well. Too many people load a sack and throw them in the trash afterwards. I seen't it.
Seen, no need for ‘t

Upvote 0

ivane068

Professional hide and seek player..
May 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Ivan Esquivel
Boat
Parker 2520 Fin Reaper
Just wondering..

Cuda recipe i got from my buddy:

set oven at 350 degrees, slice cudas into 2" filets, season with salt and pepper, place them on a wood plank, bake for 45 minutes, remove from oven,throw the fish in the trash and eat the wood plank...

Upvote 0

Tuna Vic

Mar 17, 2010
Whittier California
Name
Victor
Boat
18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
Prepared correctly there’s nothing wrong with Barrie’s,first they should be bled and thrown on ice,hard to keep fresh on a party boat,anyway when you get them home,fillet and cut out the red meat(blood line).
Then cut into strips or small chunks,bread with corn meal,then deep fry,they taste great no fishy taste at all!

Upvote 0

Kman

Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
Prepared correctly there’s nothing wrong with Barrie’s,first they should be bled and thrown on ice,hard to keep fresh on a party boat,anyway when you get them home,fillet and cut out the red meat(blood line).
Then cut into strips or small chunks,bread with corn meal,then deep fry,they taste great no fishy taste at all!

They can be made to taste good (great smoked!), but God, I just hate dealing with all that snot. They are C&R for me. I never even bring em on the boat. Just grab em with the Boga, unhook, and let them go to slime someone else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

monster1

Typical Striper owner
May 30, 2006
Long beach
Name
Monster
Boat
Yep
Seen, no need for ‘t
Incorrect.

download.jpg

Upvote 0

monster1

Typical Striper owner
May 30, 2006
Long beach
Name
Monster
Boat
Yep
They can be made to taste good (great smoked even), but God, I just hate dealing with all that snot. They are c&r for me.

We caught several last weekend while trolling xraps for yellowtail. All but one was short. The legal one came unbuttoned right at the boat. A great sense of relief came over me knowing I wouldn't be getting snot all over everything. Lol

Upvote 0

Jigslinger

Fishing is an incurable disease
Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
Looks like the barracudas are showing up in numbers from 22nd street to some shortys in dana point! fathers day weekend is this weekend, I'm sure a party boat is many peoples go to. What are people using? Lets get the low down on this wave. What color irons, what bait, what kind of leaders, all the fun stuff! Discuss

The best iron for 'cuda? One with a hook...

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Just wondering..
What do you mean mean by kill them but not eat them.I hope they kill them and give them to those who like to eat
I had KFB for breakfast this morning and I will have cold KFB for lunch tomorrow.I call it KFB beacause the way I cook it it comes out tasting like chicken,kentucky fried chicken to be exact.I fished the nados yesterday specifically with the intention of catching cudas.I brought home 4 along with a couple YT and and a couple bonita.Bonita is another fish people like to toss back.Bleed it,ice it,smoke it.Mix with cream cheese...makes a simple yet super super tasty spread.

Upvote 0
Mar 15, 2017
Anaheim, CA
Name
Matthew Colton
Boat
No Boat (YET)
The best iron for 'cuda? One with a hook...
Anything that swims right now. Typically cudas are known to be appreciative of the shiny colors, and flashy colors. Many have luck on chromes, blues, mints, it’s really a game of bring your wife and have her pick the pretty ones. Those will work right now. I picked up a mint and chrome holographic Tady 45, and an all chrome Tady 45 that I’m excited to give a shot tomorrow morning.

Reactions: Jigslinger
Upvote 0