FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
I try to give a heads-up before things happen, but in this case forget it . . a done deal.

http://www.seawatch.org/mail_campaign/norma_press_release.pdf

Shark Permits for 3600 Pangas.
The 50-mile zone is no more.
It's now down to 10 miles in the Sea of Cortez and 20 miles on the Pacific side.
Those T-Sharks everyone loves catching, well they just might not even
make it to the border now, and the Billfish numbers will go in the dumper also.

You can help by deluging their emailboxes with emails.
One click of the mouse generates 52 emails.
Sea Watch | Make a Difference - Express Your Opinion

More is coming!

http://www.youtube.com/v/PmVcVR4m46g

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

Upvote 0

jiminoc

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • May 5, 2005
    Trabuco Canyon
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    boat-less but looking
    emails sent...
    fucking Mexico

Upvote 0

1bigfisch

Feb 16, 2007
    Northridge Ca
    Name
    Michael
    Boat
    32' Luhrs "Alluhr"
    Done

Upvote 0

PoolMan

7 'dines short of a full scoop
    Nov 7, 2005
    La Costa
    Name
    Chuck G
    Boat
    8' sabot #69
    Sent e-mail to Ignacio Loyola Vera at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Jacinto Antonio Díaz Muñoz at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to [email protected] at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Julio Cesar Peralta Gallegos at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Juan Rafael Elvira Quesada at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Alberto Ulises Esteban Marina at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Germán Parra Dávila at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Laura Pimentel Gonzále at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dr. Ernesto Christian Enkerlin Hoeflich at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dr. José Sarukhán Kermez at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to FELIPE DE JESÚS CALDERÓN HINOJOSA at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Rodolfo Elizondo Torres at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Ing. Narciso Agúndez Montaño at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Profr. Víctor Manuel Castro Cosío at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Lic. Alberto Treviño Angulo at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dip. Víctor Manuel Lizárraga Peraza at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dip. Juan Adolfo Orcí Martínez at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Senador Luis Alberto Coppola Joffro at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Senador Francisco Javier Obregón Espinoza at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Senadora Josefina Cota Cota at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dip. Luis Rodolfo Enríquez Martínez at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dip. Ricardo Franco Cazarez at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dip. David Maldonado González at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dip. Dolores De María Manuell-Gómez Angulo at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dip. Francisco Javier Paredes Rodríguez at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dip. Héctor Manuel Ramos Covarrubias at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dip. Mirna Cecilia Rincón Vargas at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dip. Francisco Rueda Gómez at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dip. Carlos Alberto Torres Torres at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dip. Antonio Valladolid Rodríguez at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Senador Alejandro González Alcocer at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Senador Jaime Rafael Díaz Ochoa at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Senador Fernando Jorge Castro Trenti at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dip. Rosa Delia Cota Montaño at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dip. Antonio Lucero Lucero at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dip. Prof. Rogelio Martinez Santillan at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dip. Blanca Gpe. Guluarte Guluarte at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dip. Roberto Van Wormer Ruiz at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dip. J. Armida Castro Guzmán at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dip. Oscar Rene Nuñez Cosio at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dip. Dr. Joel Villegas Ibarra at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dip. Lourdes Vazquez Velazquez at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dip. Venustiano Perez Sánchez at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dip. Antonio Olachea Liera at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dip. Armando Naranjo Rivera at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dip. Carolina Madrigal Ibarra at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dip. Elfego Eligio Camacho Villavicencio at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dip. Georgina Hernandez Beltrán at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dip. Silvia Adela Cueva Tabardillo at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dip. Dr. Arturo Peña Valle at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dip. Octavio Resendiz Cornejo at [email protected]
    Sent e-mail to Dip. Maria del Rosario Cota Higuera at [email protected]
    done.

Upvote 0

Tree Doc

Pain in the Ass
    Apr 20, 2006
    Port San Luis / Morro Bay, CA
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    24' Boston Whaler Conquest & 26' SeaFox CC
    Done...

...but do you think those Fuck-Stiks down there even know how to read an email? It's obvious the Mexican Government doesn't give a shit about anything in this world so why should they give a shit about the Fishy or the Sportsmen that pursue them? In addition, why should they listen to what us Gringos have to say....any more than our Government Officials paying attention to letters from Tijuana.

Sorry for my pessimism but by and large, they're dumb fucks and don't have clue.

Upvote 0

zigzag

Captain
    Aug 6, 2005
    PV / Mexico
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    BERTRAM 35
    Well by by fishen Mexico fishen you think all these e mails are going to change they are only going to Piss the officials off.next thing you know they will close all fishen to every Gringo period.Good luck.i have a Bertram 35 sitting in PV I feel your pain.For sale cheap.Just kidden.Its a no brainer the fishery pressure all over the world guess what our turn in the barrell Get use to it.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Well by by fishen Mexico fishen you think all these e mails are going to change they are only going to Piss the officials off.next thing you know they will close all fishen to every Gringo period.Good luck.i have a Bertram 35 sitting in PV I feel your pain.For sale cheap.Just kidden.Its a no brainer the fishery pressure all over the world guess what our turn in the barrell Get use to it.

If you're not part of the solution then you're part of the problem.

Upvote 0

Kingfish

Apr 27, 2003
    El Cajon
    Visit site
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Sold !
    2 different e-mail addresses, done!

Upvote 0

getoffmyback

Let the beatings begin...
    Aug 21, 2006
    SoCal
    Name
    Craven Morehead
    Boat
    Yours !... when are we going ?
    By the way....if they do to the southern pacific what they did to the Sea Of Cortez in the 80's....then fish up boys ! ...in 10 years there wont be a fucking mackerel left in these waters.....

Its NOT just the mexicans...its the asian trawling companies who BUY those fishing permits from the mexicans too....

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
    Admin
    Apr 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    That Guy
    Boat
    SeaVee 340Z
    Guys,

This one is NO BULLSHITE!

Take the time to send the emails.

This and the seiners will pretty much ensure we never see another pelagic north of the border and very few to the south.

I stuck the thread.

Thanks for posting this John.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    emails don't do shit, if you want to make a statement then send a letter

I've heard of emails crashing servers!
    I've been told first hand that it's a PITA for people to delete 10's of thousands of emails.
    10's of fishing groups and organizations have successful email campaigns each year in California.
    Did Santa swing his toy sack too hard and hit himself in the head?
    Get off you A$$ and sent an email, it's simple!

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Sea Watch members and friends sent over 170,000 e-mail messages to Mexican government officials requesting changes to NOM-029, the new shark fishing regulation. Although NOM-029 has taken effect, the Mexican government because of such strong opposition is considering changes to alleviate the most harmful aspects of this regulation.

Mexico's Conapesca has issued a press release (below) that describes some of the modifications being considered. They are willing to address incidental by catch, regionalization of shark permits, prohibiting the commercialization of billfish. Nothing about the number of permits already issued. Legally this process must take one year before any changes can be made.

During the next year, as we see it, boats with existing shark permits (several 1000) can be fishing with longline gear to within 15 miles of the shore in the Sea of Cortes and to within 20 miles of shore on the outside of the Baja, catching and keeping, dorado, sailfish and marlin, their real targets. We will keep you informed.

PRESS RELEASE

Press release from Conapesca
    Conapesca maintains that Marlin, sailfish, swordfish, Sabalo o Chiro,
    roosterfish and dorado inside 50 miles will still be for the exclusive use of
    sports fishermen.
    The Comision Nacional de Acuacultura y Pesca (CONAPESCA) de la SAGARPA
    has informed that NOM029 of shark and rayas that went in effect May 15th
    and that it benefits both sports fishermen and commercial fishermen, because
    before there were no regulations but now there are limits that will create
    sustainability. The Norma will be revised and modified with technical and
    scientific support. Among the modifications that are planned to be done we
    emphasize the following three:
    1. To forbid the marketing of Picudos and dorado
    2. To set the “by catch limits”
    3. To regionalize permits for shark fishing.
    CONAPESCA makes clear that before this went under effect, the rayas and
    shark fishing ships, could fish on any area at any time and with this NOM029;
    they will not be able to do this within less that 20 miles away from the west
    coast of Peninsula de Baja California, 15 miles corresponding the rest of the
    Pacific Ocean seacoast or 50 miles for big ships over 89’.
    CONAPESCA states that it is false that NOM029 allows fishermen to fish and
    market species reserved for sport fishing, this is because the action is legally
    forbidden and law is always above any NOM. It is important to consider that
    law refers to WHAT and NOM refers to HOW.
    Finally they want to reiterate that the regulations effect positively the sports
    fishing activities since now the boats can’t come inside 15 miles (20 miles on
    the outside of the Baja), establishes use of circle hooks to reduce by catch
    and they have to release species not targeted.

John.

USA_Flag.jpg

Upvote 0
    Jun 11, 2006
    South OC
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    25, Whaler, "Twin Screws"
    I've heard of emails crashing servers!
    I've been told first hand that it's a PITA for people to delete 10's of thousands of emails.
    10's of fishing groups and organizations have successful email campaigns each year in California.
    Did Santa swing his toy sack too hard and hit himself in the head?
    Get off you A$$ and sent an email, it's simple!

I sent an email to everyone on the list and a letter to every one i could get an address to

Upvote 0

WFO

http://www.newamericancen
    Oct 1, 2006
    Pasadena
    video.google.com
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Parker in the future
    I received this in my email today

En atención a su mensaje enviado a esta Comisión Nacional, por vía electrónica, en el que manifiesta su preocupación por la Norma Oficial Mexicana NOM-029-PESC-2006 para la pesca responsable del tiburón y especies afines me permito aclarar que es la Secretaría de Agricultura, Ganadería, Desarrollo Rural, Pesca y Alimentación (SAGARPA) a través de la Comisión Nacional de Acuacultura y Pesca (CONAPESCA) la instancia que se ha encargado del proceso de elaboración de dicha norma, y en un reciente comunicado de prensa, CONAPESCA ha manifestado que LA NOM-029 TENDRÁ MODIFICACIONES, PERO CON SUSTENTO CIENTÍFICO Y TÉCNICO.
    (http://www.conapesca.sagarpa.gob.mx/wb/cona/cona_la_nom029_tendra_modificaciones_pero_con_sust). En el mismo comunicado, se menciona “que se mantiene la disposición legal de que las especies de marlin, pez vela, pez espada, sábalo o chiro, pez gallo y dorado dentro de las 50 millas serán exclusivas para la pesca deportivo recreativa”. También se incluye un párrafo que indicaque “la NOM-029, que entró en vigor el pasado 15 de mayo, será revisada para realizar adecuaciones que cuenten con sustento técnico y científico y que vayan en pos de mejorarla. Entre las adecuaciones que podrán realizarse están la de limitar la pesca incidental y regionalizar los programas”.

Consideramos muy importante que los sectores brinden a estas instancias (SAGARPA y CONAPESCA) los datos e información pertinente para realizar dichas modificaciones, por lo que consideramos fundamental que se ponga en contacto directo con esas instituciones.

Es importante reconocer que la publicación de esta Norma resume un esfuerzo de 10 años, durante los que fue ampliamente discutida con todos los sectores involucrados y se realizaron múltiples consultas, foros de información y talleres. Entre algunos de los aspectos que se consideran como más importantes para la conservación, es el que se hayan incluido medidas de protección para arrecifes coralinos, zonas de anidación y reproducción de tortugas y lobos marinos así como otras zonas biológicamente importantes y vulnerables como desembocaduras de ríos y lagunas costeras.

Por otra parte, la NOM-029, como todo instrumento encaminado a la regulación de recursos biológicos, necesitará actualizarse con base en la información generada a través de su aplicación. En este sentido, las Normas Oficiales Mexicanas, por su misma naturaleza pueden y deben ser revisadas y modificadas periódicamente.

Compartimos su preocupación por la conservación del patrimonio natural y estamos convencidos que la integración de todas las opiniones derivarán en la conservación y el aprovechamiento sostenible de tiburones y rayas

Atentamente
    Eduardo Morales
    Coordinador de Información y Servicios Externos
    CONABIO

Regarding your email sent to the National Commission for the Knowledge and Use of Biodiversity (CONABIO) about the publication of the Official Mexican Norm NOM-029-PESC-2006 and your worry on the subject of the responsible fishing of sharks and kindred species, I would like to clarify that the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock, Rural Development, Fishing and Food (SAGARPA) through the National Commission of Fisheries and Aquaculture (CONAPESCA) has been responsible for the development of this legal instrument for the Mexican law.

In a recent press release, CONAPESCA has declared that the NOM-029 will have some changes as long as these are supported by scientific and technical sources
    (http://www.conapesca.sagarpa.gob.mx/wb/cona/cona_la_nom029_tendra_modificaciones_pero_con_sust). The press release also mentions that &#8220;the judicial resolution that the species marlin, sailfish, ray-finned fish, tube-eye fish and dorado, within the 50 nautical miles will be exclusively for recreational fishing is maintained.&#8221; A paragraph stating that &#8220;the NOM-029, that came into force last 15<sup>th</sup> of May, will be revised to make room for adjustments based on scientific and technical facts with the aim of improving it. Included among the changes are the limiting of incidental fishing and the regionalisation of all programs&#8221; is also included.

It is of the utmost importance that all fractions bring the data and relevant information to these parties (SAGARPA and CONAPESCA) in order to put together these modifications, which is why I consider essential that you get directly in touch with both institutions.

It is important to recognize that the publication of these rules (NOM-029) is the result of 10 years of efforts. During this period the norms were widely discussed with all the involved parties and different consultations, information forums and workshops were carried out. Among some of the more important aspects from the conservation point of view, is that it includes protection measures for coral reefs, nesting and reproduction areas for turtles and sea lions, as well as biologically important and vulnerable areas such as coastal lagoons and river mouths.

On the other hand, NOM-029, like any other tool aimed towards regulating biological resources, will need to be updated based on the information generated through its application. In this sense and by their sheer nature, the Official Mexican Rules can and should be reviewed and adjusted periodically.

We share your concern for the conservation of natural heritage and we are convinced that the combination of different points of view need to come together for the conservation and sustainable use of sharks and ray fish.

Cordially

Eduardo Morales
    Coordinador de Información y Servicios Externos
    CONABIO

Upvote 0