norcaltunaclub

www.octunaclub.com
Mar 18, 2011
Orange County
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
The beauty of having a private charter, nobody cares about our RP bow lounge complete with a lounge chair, fighting chair and bottle service. Note the cooler, wine bottle and folks napping. All good and we all love taking turns in the lounge!

dano1.jpg IMG_2556.PNG

Last edited:

Olddog8

Well-Known "Member"
May 13, 2012
Poway,ca
Name
Rick
Boat
Sold long ago
I also hate with your rod holder spots gets taken when the boat is on the move after a bite... People just drop their rod to any open spots
Every trip I've been on... every. Some people are special.

spinner

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 2, 2007
irvine
Name
mikegooing
Boat
none
I like fishes approach/ who among you doesn't get excited when the boat turns on a spot or the bite starts? we all rush the tank and then regroup when the dust settles

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
This thread is pointing at a particular vessel, I am hoping. I am going on my first LR trip and I do not want to be unable to access my gear or be around rude people that do not have the courtesy to get out of the fricken way without being told. Isn't the skipper supposed to keep these behaviors from taking place? 32 people on my ride so that would make me about number 32. Does that mean I will not have a place to stow my gear? If this is the case maybe I should not go and contact the company to see if they can sell my spot....I do not want to fight with anybody or be aboard a boat with anybody that needs a swift kick to the head.....Ap

Reactions: Shooter and RichG

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
On my first long range trip at 13 by myself on the original red rooster there was an old guy named Emil who was chewing tobacco and anytime he was upwind I would get sprayed .. of course I hated it and wanted to get mad but I thought this was just part of the deal with long range fishing and was so happy to be fishin places I'd only read about that I kept my mouth shut and fished ...
13 years old..... long range...... really!?? o_O

The unknown fisherman:p:

Reactions: eric harner

Lake

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
This thread is pointing at a particular vessel, I am hoping. I am going on my first LR trip and I do not want to be unable to access my gear or be around rude people that do not have the courtesy to get out of the fricken way without being told. Isn't the skipper supposed to keep these behaviors from taking place? 32 people on my ride so that would make me about number 32. Does that mean I will not have a place to stow my gear? If this is the case maybe I should not go and contact the company to see if they can sell my spot....I do not want to fight with anybody or be aboard a boat with anybody that needs a swift kick to the head.....Ap
Just like everywhere else in the world there are a small percentage of people who are oblivious to their surroundings. There will likely be a few on most trips. There will also be quite a few guys that'll be a blast to be around, will be willing to help with rigging, sharing drinks, sharing tackle, handing off fish to less fortunate fishermen, and generally people you'll want to hang around with and fish with again. You'll have plenty of space to store tackle, although you'll most likely not get a prime tackle box/bag spot. There will plenty of spots for your rods. Make an effort to meet everyone on your trip. Change seating every night so you eat with others. Definitely learn the names of all the crew. You very seldom hear of someone that didn't love their long range trips, and I'd suspect they were part of the problem.

fishkilr

on the water
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
13 years old..... long range...... really!?? o_O

The unknown fisherman:p:
Absolutely.. I have 5 older bros and for our bar mitzvah we all got a choice of either a huge gift or a huge party...
My parents divorced when I was 10 and my dad moved to Venice which is when my salt love started staying out all night on Venice pier catchin sharks and rays with the locals..
By the time my barmitzvah rolled around I had saltwater sportsman and outdoor life and field and stream mags stacked up and was reading about these multiday trips outta San Diego..
That was what I wanted and was the motivation to finish Hebrew school and get it done..
When the time came my mom took me to a tackle shop in Burbank blvd fishin spot I think and they set me up including a 6 ft chocolate sabre with a jig master (although they sold me a marauder which if course I didn't use on a 6 day)
I told this story about that trip before so I just screenshot it..

IMG_0163.PNG IMG_0164.PNG

raw66

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 23, 2014
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Gary M
Boat
USS Howard W Gilmore AS-16 Sub Pac6
What I find more rude is to visit your designated numbered 4 pole sanctuary up the side only to find not one but three rods belonging to another passenger handily stashed there because you decided to work on your gear or didn't utilize the area and left the area open briefly for a few hours. Who ever stashed their three rods at a numbered designated spot that didn't belong to them had to be short a few marbles. Solution is ask charter master to relocate offending rods to another part of the vessel. One rod of this nature can be overlooked occasionally but when 3 rods show up all with identifiers indicating they all belong to the same passenger you got a case of rudeness going on and should probably ask the idiot why he felt compelled to take three spots in an area that was not his for the taking. This could escalate badly so best to let it go and not confront the owner of the said three outfits as to why he was so thick skulled as to allow his gear to show up in your spot!!! The crew will on occasion stash a rod in a numbered spot that they find leaning against the bait tank but not 3 rods all belonging to the same passenger.

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Apogee.... don't cancel. Each LR boat has a different lay out. And as Blaine says it's just a few individuals that need better manners. We are just venting about "that guy" here. We forget to mention the "nice guys/gals." Generally most will work together. Granted sometimes it gets a bit tight. Make friends and they can help you as will the crew.

A suggestion is to bring a small "Plano" tray that you can put spare hooks and light sinkers in. You can put that almost anywhere to get to it quickly. And if someone is sitting in front of your stuff. Say Excuse me, most will get up and move, unless they are sleeping in the chair, If it's me, just wake me up.

You can start a new tread and ask specifics on the layout of the rear deck and tackle storage area of a specific boat. Someone might even have a photo to give you an idea.

Also ask how they board. Some are first in line and some by the numbers. I as well am not getting in line at 4 AM. I fish boats that board by the numbers.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Yep... sometimes the crew just fills a hole when the rods are laying around in the wrong places. I figure it is best to lean on the least confrontive angle when you start a conversation with the owner.

Reactions: RichG

SCHeadhunter

Well-Known "Member"
May 22, 2006
san clemente
Name
Tom
Boat
Sold to the man with $$$
We fish 18 guys on my 5 day summer charter on the Polaris Supreme.
You can get there 10 minutes before departure and get a spot for your box on the bus stop. Also everybody has five rod holders assigned on their number going up the port and starboard side. Odd numbers on the port , evens on the starboard. The remaining vertical rod holders are open as well as the rod holders up top.
Personally I don't do trips with 32 guys. Couldn't even get to know everybody by the end of the trip. And it seems as though the more I drop the passenger load, the more people want to come.
I do know that all of the operations want you to have a great time and they want you to come back. Have a great trip

reellady

I'd rather be catching TUNA
Aug 26, 2011
fresno, ca usa
Name
donna
Boat
reel lady
One boat on the first=come first-on boat, some of the anglers stake out their spot the afternoon before. They rotate sleeping times during the night having booked a room at the Vag taking watch to guarantee being first on the boat.

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
What I find more rude is to visit your designated numbered 4 pole sanctuary up the side only to find not one but three rods belonging to another passenger handily stashed there because you decided to work on your gear or didn't utilize the area and left the area open briefly for a few hours. Who ever stashed their three rods at a numbered designated spot that didn't belong to them had to be short a few marbles. Solution is ask charter master to relocate offending rods to another part of the vessel. One rod of this nature can be overlooked occasionally but when 3 rods show up all with identifiers indicating they all belong to the same passenger you got a case of rudeness going on and should probably ask the idiot why he felt compelled to take three spots in an area that was not his for the taking. This could escalate badly so best to let it go and not confront the owner of the said three outfits as to why he was so thick skulled as to allow his gear to show up in your spot!!! The crew will on occasion stash a rod in a numbered spot that they find leaning against the bait tank but not 3 rods all belonging to the same passenger.
Sorry, I should have noticed it all being the same guy and educated him on it. He was a very new angler to long range, and I don't think it was deliberate.
I will try and watch it better next year.

Reactions: Steve K

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Sorry, I should have noticed it all being the same guy and educated him on it. He was a very new angler to long range, and I don't think it was deliberate.
I will try and watch it better next year.
It's not going to ruin my trip if I need to relocate a rod placed in error I'm one of my assigned spots. Three of them and it's time to straighten it out. Sometimes the angler's spots are right next to yours, the guy thought his spots were from the number forward, but instead they're from the number to the rear. Most guys are fishing custom rods with their names on them. Easy enough to fix this problem, life's way too short to get your panties in a twist over something as trivial as this.

What really pisses me off on a Long Range fishing trip is...

Come to think of it, nothing.

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
It's not going to ruin my trip if I need to relocate a rod placed in error I'm one of my assigned spots. Three of them and it's time to straighten it out. Sometimes the angler's spots are right next to yours, the guy thought his spots were from the number forward, but instead they're from the number to the rear. Most guys are fishing custom rods with their names on them. Easy enough to fix this problem, life's way too short to get your panties in a twist over something as trivial as this.

What really pisses me off on a Long Range fishing trip is...

Come to think of it, nothing.
Gary did right, he came to the charter master, me, explained the situation. I found the new guy had actually several rods in the wrong spots, so I fixed it.
See the chartermaster, ask the crew, get it resolved.
Now, let's have fun.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Gary did right, he came to the charter master, me, explained the situation. I found the new guy had actually several rods in the wrong spots, so I fixed it.
See the chartermaster, ask the crew, get it resolved.
Now, let's have fun.
:appl::appl::appl::appl:

bbuck

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 20, 2005
On the Water
Name
Buck
Boat
sunk

bbuck

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 20, 2005
On the Water
Name
Buck
Boat
sunk
As the author of this post, there was no intent to point a finger at any one boat. I only mentioned the Indy because they are the only boat I know of that makes an effort to have as many spots as passengers, but even then it can be problematic if your 20 something or god help you 30 something.
The point of the post was simply to point out the value of booking ahead when the passenger load is low such as the Intrepid March 2018 trip that only has 2 booked at this point.. As for your question there will be a spot for #32 but it may be on the deck or on the upper deck and you will be able to get to it. Just not in a convenient way. As someone who has done many of these trips I learned early on that the last pup to mama gets hind tit. All of this does not mean you will not have a great trip and meet some great people.

bbuck

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 20, 2005
On the Water
Name
Buck
Boat
sunk
One boat on the first=come first-on boat, some of the anglers stake out their spot the afternoon before. They rotate sleeping times during the night having booked a room at the Vag taking watch to guarantee being first on the boat.
Some years ago before they started loading by booking date I arrived at the dock at 3:00pm the day before the 18 day trip departed, prepared to stay there the night like some idiot lined up for black friday. I boarded # 13.

Reactions: fishin_kid

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Too much drama to board when you show up. So much easier by the numbers and you do not really notice the difference in fishing. Get out of the me first mindset and savor the expierence.
'Me first' has nothing to do with it. What does have to do with it is access. Equal money should have equal access. If the boat is ill designed to not allow equal access for the amount of passengers. maybe everybody should draw from a hat their boarding number. That is equal access.........Ap

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
'Me first' has nothing to do with it. What does have to do with it is access. Equal money should have equal access. If the boat is ill designed to not allow equal access for the amount of passengers. maybe everybody should draw from a hat their boarding number. That is equal access.........Ap
not at a first come first serve Business
booking last, you get what you get
its called Planning ahead.

Reactions: Soda Pop and Bill W

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
As the author of this post, there was no intent to point a finger at any one boat. I only mentioned the Indy because they are the only boat I know of that makes an effort to have as many spots as passengers, but even then it can be problematic if your 20 something or god help you 30 something.
The point of the post was simply to point out the value of booking ahead when the passenger load is low such as the Intrepid March 2018 trip that only has 2 booked at this point.. As for your question there will be a spot for #32 but it may be on the deck or on the upper deck and you will be able to get to it. Just not in a convenient way. As someone who has done many of these trips I learned early on that the last pup to mama gets hind tit. All of this does not mean you will not have a great trip and meet some great people.
I would not trust that theory again on the Intrepid. ;)

UnBelievable

F.V. UNBELIEVABLE
Jul 19, 2013
Mission Bay San Diego Ca. USA
Name
Norm Campbell
Boat
UnBelievable
Well it's always the new guys complaining. Fish the Indy a lot. And yes always with the same folks. Where all the folks whom know and respect each other never have a problem, it's always that New guy whom broke his piggy bank open from his childhood and spent his life savings to get on the trip expecting it to be a cruise boat with everyone waiting on him. I mean we are all there to enjoy the trip. When I go on the Indy the crew always loads my gear, my jumbo Sbk box with 12 rod holder goes to the upper deck with my other 3 boxes. The 4 bundles of rods are also waiting for me up there. Usually 22 rods. As far as the chairs they will always be there and if you need to get to your box we the old guys in the chairs will always move, maybe just not for the grumpy new guy whom doesn't know what he's doing, I mean if he knew what he's doing how often does he need to get in his box! Bet this guy also forgot his tip money. In short if there is a chair in my way the crew will always get it out of my way when I'm on a fish. Just proves the point you cannot please everyone. In short it takes a second to move and replace the chair and complain about it here only shows your patience level is low. Get some patience and learn to get along and have fun with others!!!!! Just wait until this guy sees my new fold up rocking chair.......that will put him over the edge I'll bet!!

Reactions: Olddog8 and jer dog

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Well it's always the new guys complaining. Fish the Indy a lot. And yes always with the same folks. Where all the folks whom know and respect each other never have a problem, it's always that New guy whom broke his piggy bank open from his childhood and spent his life savings to get on the trip expecting it to be a cruise boat with everyone waiting on him. I mean we are all there to enjoy the trip. When I go on the Indy the crew always loads my gear, my jumbo Sbk box with 12 rod holder goes to the upper deck with my other 3 boxes. The 4 bundles of rods are also waiting for me up there. Usually 22 rods. As far as the chairs they will always be there and if you need to get to your box we the old guys in the chairs will always move, maybe just not for the grumpy new guy whom doesn't know what he's doing, I mean if he knew what he's doing how often does he need to get in his box! Bet this guy also forgot his tip money. In short if there is a chair in my way the crew will always get it out of my way when I'm on a fish. Just proves the point you cannot please everyone. In short it takes a second to move and replace the chair and complain about it here only shows your patience level is low. Get some patience and learn to get along and have fun with others!!!!! Just wait until this guy sees my new fold up rocking chair.......that will put him over the edge I'll bet!!
Really 22 rods? Four other boxes to boot. I thought I was going to be overdoing it with three rods, a tackle box and a duffel bag. Is there a limit to how much stuff you can bring aboard? ....Ap

dtf

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 16, 2004
So. Bay Ca
Name
David
Boat
22ft, Pursuit
If every one brought what you say you bring. it would be just like the 405 at rush hr trying to get around a big boat made small

Reactions: plj46 and big dog62

okie man

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 24, 2006
new palestine indiana
Name
kerry way
Boat
18' javalin
A reasonable limit is 10! I have 4 on my assigned numbers, 1 on the bow and the rest up top. I don't use the rocket launchers on my box for anything but rigging.

Reactions: Olddog8