So what is way out there?

Jun 24, 2014
Name
Brandon Brooks
Boat
1978 Fiber Form Custom
I have been fishing offshore since I was a kid, and until recently, I never considered what lay past the normal albacore grounds. So what is out there? Usually I have stayed within 60 miles of any shoreline, but that was mostly due to fuel on a PB or time on a charter. So I thought I would throw this question out to everyone on BD. What lies beyond that 60 mile threshold. What can be caught out there either on the bottom, mid-water or top-water?

I also read an article about a Texas sword fishing team coming out here and hooking up. they caught a few but was only able to bring a couple of them close enough to be seen by their underwater cameras. they fished the 9 mile bank. Anyone ever attempted this?

I have a new boat and it has a range of 250 miles, and is pretty well built for long hauls in offshore conditions. I would love to explore some other fishing possibilities.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
I also read an article about a Texas sword fishing team coming out here and hooking up. they caught a few but was only able to bring a couple of them close enough to be seen by their underwater cameras. they fished the 9 mile bank. Anyone ever attempted this?

Just curious, but where was it you heard this, and when did it supposedly happen??

The unknown fisherman:p:

Reactions: 26grumpy
Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
What where and why are the migratory patterns of all the all the tunas and other misc pelagics?

Its mind boggling.

Upvote 0

titos334

VIP Elite Member
Aug 19, 2012
Hell
Name
Kevin
Boat
Rainbow Surprise
The swordfish are definitely out there, but they have definitely got to be one of if not the hardest fish to pursue.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
If your new boat is capable of safely doing it sounds like a trip to Tanner/Cortez is in order. Can't bottom fish anymore but the pelagics are fare game. This is the time of year that typically is the best weather in that area. Looks like there maybe a little shot of good weather next week.

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
the ocean is a dessert with it's life underground......

Upvote 0

J.AkuHed

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 5, 2003
Temecula
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
Your boat!
Cortes is a definite way point. Pelagics alway gravitate to a bank, food source. Bigger tuna, yellowtail and bottom fish just like the ridge in Mexico. Sport boats usually stop going out once the frenzy subsides but buddy boating to the outer banks could be productive. Isn't there a site that commercial fleets go to share info? I used to read that the Sportfishing fleet got intel from commercial jig boats how catching was going outside.

Reactions: PassTheSoySauce
Upvote 0

Bud B

Fear the Kraken
Dec 5, 2004
Name
Bud
Boat
Spotfin
Lots of Swords, Opah, Big T sharks, Escolar are out there right now and will be throughout the winter. Bluefin, Salmon sharks and a few other big critters show up routinely. Many of these critters can be had on the inside as well this time of year.

Don't ask where and how as I have posted that info before...and will be black listed with the commercial fleet if I say anymore.

Reactions: J.AkuHed
Upvote 0

Day0ne

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 24, 2004
Texas
Name
David
Boat
233 Formula Shadowdancer
That's the infamous Texas Long Distance Release on a mystery fish for ya.

I'll guarantee you Bret Holden knows what a sword fights like. If he says it's a sword, I'd put money on it.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
I'll guarantee you Bret Holden knows what a sword fights like. If he says it's a sword, I'd put money on it.

That may be very true and I am sure he does know his stuff, but there are alot of other big and bad fish swimming around down deep, and until it pokes its head up and is clearly seen it remains a mystery fish, no two ways about that.

The unknown fisherman:p:

Reactions: wils
Upvote 0