Grabbin_Gils

Smoke'em and Poke'em
Mar 15, 2009
Menifee CA usa
Name
Trevor
Boat
none yet
So after a service call for work over here by the house i seen a sign for lab puppys.So i decided to pull over and check it out the lady only had 1 yellow pup left.He is only 7 weeks old and come from a yellow mom and chocolate dad.the dad was around 85 lbs and the mom about 70 lbs.We named him Jack.Plans are to hopefully send him to Raney Ranch or maybe Starlight Kennels. Any recomendations? Also where can i get some bird wings to get him started.

Attachments

• IMAG1113.jpg
    IMAG1113.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 43
Upvote 0

aeon

ugh....
Apr 11, 2006
foothill ranch
Name
Bill
Boat
/600hp ls3 powered Airboat
It's dove season I'm sure someone can kick you some wings. Congrats on the new pup. Are the parents hunters?

Upvote 0

Grabbin_Gils

Smoke'em and Poke'em
Mar 15, 2009
Menifee CA usa
Name
Trevor
Boat
none yet
the dad was but the owner no longer hunts he is too lazy now.His words. tomorrow i will take him to our vet and have him checked over and get all his shots lined up.Aeon for some reason i think you have trained your dogs right? Any tips to get him started til he is old enough to go to a trainer? Inside tips anything helps

Also on thw wings should i freeze them or do anything special before i put them around him? Thanks

Upvote 0

Bench Fisherman

Friggen nice guy
Mar 22, 2009
Perris,Ca.USA
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
Teach and train the pup yourself. Take him over to French Valley Gun Club and get him use to the gun shots before you do anything else. Just my 2 cents. PM me if you want.

Upvote 0

Grabbin_Gils

Smoke'em and Poke'em
Mar 15, 2009
Menifee CA usa
Name
Trevor
Boat
none yet
thanks guys.Hey Bench Ive helped train my buddys yellow about 6 yrs ago and we went out every evening.I was thinking about doing it myself and i still might i just want to talk to 1 of the trainers so i dont give him any bad habits. Ill shoot you a PM Thanks

Upvote 0

aeon

ugh....
Apr 11, 2006
foothill ranch
Name
Bill
Boat
/600hp ls3 powered Airboat
Buy the fowl dogs1 DVD everything you need to know. Follow it and you should be fine.

Raney ranch turns out great dogs. The cost is not cheap but a pro trained dog is impressive. The guy I hunt with in Mexico has one and it's a stud of a dog with spot on handling.

Maybe start off following the fowl dogs DVD and if the pup shows talent think about spending the cash on a pro.

Upvote 0

Grabbin_Gils

Smoke'em and Poke'em
Mar 15, 2009
Menifee CA usa
Name
Trevor
Boat
none yet
Buy the fowl dogs1 DVD everything you need to know. Follow it and you should be fine.

Raney ranch turns out great dogs. The cost is not cheap but a pro trained dog is impressive. The guy I hunt with in Mexico has one and it's a stud of a dog with spot on handling.

Maybe start off following the fowl dogs DVD and if the pup shows talent think about spending the cash on a pro.

cool thanks i will do that right now.I have the Retreiver Training book by Tom Dokken. But i will order that dvd right now thanks.

Upvote 0

QuackN'Smack

Quack Addict
Feb 22, 2011
La Habra, Ca
Name
Brandon Mahan
Boat
Arctic Cat 500 4x4
Congrats on the new addition to the family! As for wings, if you need any, let me know. I'll be down in 2 weeks and can give u a ton. I have about 100 from last waterfowl season. Mix variety of large Canada, small cacklers and wide mix of different duck species. Just let me know. All are dried naturally with no chemicals. I just use some salt initially to remove moisture. I keep the wings each year for my training purposes in the off season and for anyone else that needs some. They are great for training or introducing a new pup to the feel of feathers.

BTW, a few of my buddies started their pup out on dove and the dogs weren't real fond of the birds. I've heard dove are not a good bird to get a dog started on. Feathers pull out to much and are a real delicate bird. I've never tried starting a pup on them, just the ducks and worked them into geese and dove when they got a little more experience and bigger for the big wings.

Upvote 0

Grabbin_Gils

Smoke'em and Poke'em
Mar 15, 2009
Menifee CA usa
Name
Trevor
Boat
none yet
Quack- thanks for the info never thought about them being too delicate as a first intro to a pup.But if you dont mind id love to have a few of the waterfowl wings.That would be awesome!! Hell ill trade you beer,cigars,or whatever man.

I got the fowl dawg dvd 1 on order right now from gun dog supply. This should e fun.When we trained our buddys lab we would go to Rahuagees and use the pigeon launchers with a remote control and shoot over his dog Gunner.

Upvote 0

QuackN'Smack

Quack Addict
Feb 22, 2011
La Habra, Ca
Name
Brandon Mahan
Boat
Arctic Cat 500 4x4
Hey know problem. I just remember how much of a pain it was to get the dogs to start taking a liking to ducks and birds at all after he tried getting them on dove their first time. Figured it wouldn't be much fun for you either. Lol. I'll bring down the wings when I head that way and we can meet up, or I can send them down to your place if we don't have time to meet. Where r u location wise from Orange county...anahiem area?

Upvote 0

Grabbin_Gils

Smoke'em and Poke'em
Mar 15, 2009
Menifee CA usa
Name
Trevor
Boat
none yet
well just got back from hunting San Jac no birds but i fired off 3 shots about 25 yds from him to see how he took it.Didnt even flinch! i fired off 2 with my .410 pump and then 1 with my 887 nitro

Upvote 0

Captwoody

Almost A Member
Apr 24, 2005
Murrieta,CA
Name
Woody Callaway
Boat
19ft Kencraft C/C
Give me a pm and i will give you some wings and other items i live in murrieta so once you get my cell# getting dove,pheasant,and i think i still have some quail. i keep some froze for a more fresh smell but you need an hour of prep defrosting so they put out scent trail

Upvote 0