Soulakala

Almost A Member
Oct 23, 2019
Ocean Park, Wa
Name
Chuck
Boat
Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
It was "different" to say the least just the wife and I along with the dog. Usually we have a house full with 9 grand kids, 6 adults and 5 dogs. Our house would look like a homeless shelter with kids sleeping on air mattresses on the living room floor and at the first spark of life in the morning the dogs would go nuts wanting out, so whoever was sleeping was woken by the dogs. Outside it looked like a used car lot with cars everywhere as the older grand kids always want to drive their own cars down. Good thing our place has lots of room I even suggested to the wife that I can clean up the wood shop and have the grand kids bunk out there as it has TV, a bathroom and great wood stove but she put a kibosh to that. Well I thought it was a good idea.

This year for Thanksgiving and likely for Christmas everyone stayed home and in the afternoon we had a family Zoom meeting. It was ok but for those of you that have not done the Zoom experience let me tell you that when you have a 1 year old yelling and that connection not being muted it makes for interesting conversation time with everyone else. The plus side for my wife was the cooking. With only the two of us our turkey was just one of those frozen turkey breasts. I was in charge of that and I plugged in the Therm Pro and asked the wife to watch the temp since I was not using the remote. After 1-1/2 hours I asked is that turkey done yet? She said its only at 73 degrees. I couldn't believe it but the Therm Pro has never failed me yet, so we waited some more. Yes it was going up but slowly now it was at 82, but that little red button was out on the turkey. Ok I gave in and checked the bird with a manual temp gauge, it said 188 degrees. What the fuck how can that be. So I went and got my glasses and checked the Therm Pro again this time powering up the remote and adding on the sensor for oven temp. That unit said the bird was at 190 but the other sensor was only in the high 80s. But this time with my glasses on I noticed the transmitting sensor was reading Celsius and the remote was in Fahrenheit. Oh well it was still ok but a little dry but well done. Its just a Covid year everything screwed up so at least the holiday meal was a little screwed up.

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Mine was good but very different than the usual.Cooked at home for the wife,daughter and two grandchildren instead of going to the desert with the large group i usually hang out with.The large group still did their thing.

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Ours was very different. For each of the past 15+ years, we have hosted 35-40 family and friends. We usually cook 3 turkeys and at least one pork butt. I usually smoke one of those turkeys and the pork butt. It takes 3 tables, but at least we can get everyone in the same room. Festivities all day long, with dinner beginning about 7:30.

This year, it was on our boat, with just my wife and I, and one daughter from whom we are semi-isolating. We made one oven-cooked turkey and ate it outside (semi-isolation) at 4:00, before the evening chill kicked in. Zoomed a family prayer.

All-in-all, it was a celebration to remember, and a reminder not to take anything for granted. My wife did comment that this was her most stress-free Thanksgiving in years.

Soulakala

Almost A Member
Oct 23, 2019
Ocean Park, Wa
Name
Chuck
Boat
Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
Who would of even dreamed up the type of Thanksgiving a lot of us had this year. If around the table with family and friends in 2019 someone had said, next year lets do this via computer or cell phone and we all stay home. We would have thought that was one weird prediction. What is in store for us in 2021 hopefully less stress and back to a new normal. What we accept as the new normal is a wait and see. Being somewhat of "redneck" well only with my gator on. Being in the upper age bracket I'm likely to focus on spending more time on the boat and wetting my line as often as possible and ignore a lot of the bullshit the media is pushing.

Soulakala

Almost A Member
Oct 23, 2019
Ocean Park, Wa
Name
Chuck
Boat
Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
My family and I stayed home and made Thanksgiving dinner for us and four other friends. They brought some dishes to pass and we had a blast! After dinner I had to finish one urgent college task:) Procrastination is my weak feature... especially what concerns things I hate doing.
Procrastination is not a weakness its the ability to promote further thought and allow time to fully understand the goal. As an example I rarely purchase gifts until the last second as its all in the thought that counts.

DeloresPineda

Jun 21, 2019
UK
Name
Delores Pineda
Boat
Boat
My holiday was a rather cheerful one. It is because a lot of friends were around and I was felt brilliantly confident with the help of my favorite https://www.alyaka.com/brands/welleco/ . A lot of girls asked me about the tint or mascara type. And I shared my great experience with them. Hope they will have the same best future holiday.