So Cal Trout fishing - looking for suggestions to fish from shore.

Bend Session

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jan 3, 2017
    COSTA MESA
    Name
    SEAWOLF
    Boat Name
    JACK COLE SPECIAL
    Got a call from an old friend, he has been battling a serious illness and he wants to go trout fishing. Any suggestions to find a great place. Was thinking goint to a lake that stocks trout, like Hesperia Lake or even Santa Ana River Lakes. But was also considering Dixon (I've never been there)

Any suggestions?

TIA

Reactions: jiggermyster

Bend Session

• Jan 3, 2017
    COSTA MESA
    Name
    SEAWOLF
    Boat Name
    JACK COLE SPECIAL
    Orange County. - I was considering driving down to SD area. Any good stocked lakes for trout?

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Orange County. - I was considering driving down to SD area. Any good stocked lakes for trout?
    COPY this LINK 8 best San Diego Trout Spots

Upvote 0

Interpaleo

Jul 11, 2021
    Orange County
    Name
    Joseph Caruso
    Boat Name
    The Hunley 3
    I am in OC and try playing with these local trout sometimes. If Irvine lake is stocking its a nice place to relax and soak something from shore. Nice scenery, but a bit of a walk, mile or so, down to the water. Only open Fri, Sat, Sun, 7 to 4. $5 parking fee, no license required. SARL isnt my kind of scene, but people do catch big ol mutant stockers in there. Niguel Lake, fed by the lovely smelling Sulfur Creek (reclaimed water) is basically behind my house...so I try there too occasionally...don't know why...lots of fish but imo gross water.

If you don't mind a drive there are a lot of much better options down further south and east into the San Diego area

Upvote 0

Bend Session

• Jan 3, 2017
    COSTA MESA
    Name
    SEAWOLF
    Boat Name
    JACK COLE SPECIAL
    Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
    Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat Name
    skiff
    Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    whichever has the longest bunk
    If your friend wants a really pretty place to drop a line in, then don't overlook our local mountain lakes. If he has mobility issues and really wants to catch his dinner, then Santa Ana River Lakes is by far the best place to go. If that is the choice, then remember that SARL is completely man-made, they brought in CAT D-9 bulldozers and scooped out the ground to make the lakes. Think "bathtub" and you will be right on the money. No long sloping gradual depth, but a bank going into just a few feet of shelf and then a very sharp drop-off.

Remember also that these are all stocked trout, even the nice fat big ones. They spent their whole lives in bathtub-shaped pools, mostly swimming around and around the sides. So the fish are NOT out in the middle of the lakes. They are going to be found very near to the sides, not far at all from the shore, because that is where they have found the food all of their lives.

The SARL lakes are closed on Thursdays so that the fish can be stocked and become a bit acclimatized to the new water. So Friday is a good day to go, or Saturday if that is the earliest he can get away.

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat Name
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Hesperia stocks thursdays,also silverwood and gregory have been stocked recently.

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
    May 11, 2007
    You're mined!
    www.csicop.org
    Name
    Alan
    Boat Name
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    Jess Ranch is closed until 2023

Reactions: marlyn
    Upvote 0

Bend Session

• Jan 3, 2017
    COSTA MESA
    Name
    SEAWOLF
    Boat Name
    JACK COLE SPECIAL
    if you can make it up to pyramid lake Nevada (by Reno) there's huge cutthroat trout there. It's a beautiful place to fish
    I've heard great things about this place (catching a trout of a life time size) -

how hard is it to catch big trout there? Can you just show up with normal trout gear, power bait, and fish from shore to catch the big guys? Or do you need a boat or float tube with barbless fly hooks...

Upvote 0

CI_SeaWolf

• Feb 13, 2006
    Camarillo, CA
    Name
    Tom Farrell
    Boat Name
    Wellcraft 22' W/A
    I've heard great things about this place (catching a trout of a life time size) -

how hard is it to catch big trout there? Can you just show up with normal trout gear, power bait, and fish from shore to catch the big guys? Or do you need a boat or float tube with barbless fly hooks...
    Pyramid is a specialized fishery, run by the Paiute Tribe of Pyramid Lake. You need a tribal fishing permit to fish there. Special regulations too. No bait is allowed

Reactions: Bend Session
    Upvote 0

titan05

Pelagic Terminator
    Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego North County
    Name
    Jim
    Boat Name
    Chelsea Rae
    The best one(s) in San Diego area are the ones that don't require a California State Fishing License...just a Lake Permit

Upvote 0

Bryantttt

Almost A Member
  • Jun 8, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Bryant
    Boat Name
    Bayliner Ciera 2252

Yes it's a beautiful magical place with all sorts of ancient stories and its own eerie weather.
    Most people fish with either flies, or leadheads and spoons (usually one or the other). You can go to the website for regulations but basically no barbed hooks and no organic baits, scents etc. But if you know what you're doing you can easily catch fish. I had days where i'd catch maybe 10+ fish in one day from the shore. We usually put on waiters and go waist deep, though it is cold. Weekdays are best if you want to avoid the crowds.
    If possible, I'd recommend going for a few days straight so you can get the hang of it.

Some of the locals have been saying the fish are growing bigger and bigger every year... for now I feel like more often than not I catch more keepers than shorties. I have a few special tips I can share with you if you DM me.

Pyramid is a specialized fishery, run by the Paiute Tribe of Pyramid Lake. You need a tribal fishing permit to fish there. Special regulations too. No bait is allowed
    Correct, but you just go online and purchase it . Not that difficult.

Upvote 0