Sobie2

Jan 7, 2008
Juneau
Name
Nate
Boat Name
22 Aluminum Landingcraft
Hey folks,

My son is turning 16 and he is an avid fishermen and I want to take him on a cool trip for his birthday. We are from Alaska and I have forever been reading Pacific Coast Fishing Magazine. I am looking into either a mid-week or long weekend trip for him and I about mid October. I was wanting to go for Yellowtail, Yellowfin, Bluefin, Mahi-mahi, but I don't know what is in season. So I am wondering what is in season then, and also looking for recommendations on charters to take. Small boat, big boat it doesn't really matter. I am hoping folks can point me in the right direction or have recommendations. Cheaper is always better but if that is the case I am not looking to travel all the way to Cali for a bottom fishing trip. We fish hard up here.

Any tips/heads up or setting expectations would be appreciated.

Sobie2

Upvote 0

Deadlift500

• Jan 12, 2022
    USA
    Name
    d
    Boat Name
    kayak
    A lot of the good boats are full for October but the Islander just opened up a bunch of trips in October: https://fishermanslanding.fishingreservations.net/resos/?boat_filter[]=137&month_filter=&submit=Search+Now

the reason they have all these openings suddenly is because they were going to do some shark diving trips off Guadalupe island in October, but Mexico closed off The island, so they are now looking to do fishing trips in that time frame instead.

if You can do one of the limited load three day trips that would be awesome, would get three days fish limits, which is the most days worth of fish limits you can get even if you were to take a longer trip.

if you can’t do a three day, I’d advise paying the $175 extra for one of the “extended 1.5 days” trips as that will give you some more time fishing and allow you to keep two days limits instead of just one day.

the limit for bluefin tuna in either CA or Mexico is two per person per day, so on a regular 1.5 day you could only keep 2 bluefin, on an extended 1.5 day you can keep 4 bluefin, and on a three day or longer trip you can keep 6 bluefin.

the bluefin will almost certainly still be within 1.5 day range this October.

if you haven’t yet, read some posts on this site and check out some YouTube videos about fishing for the bluefin by dropping heavy jigs at night, it’s a different kind of fishing.

you will want to bring two speed reels and rods capable of at least 80lb line for the bluefin, or you will need to rent.

Last edited:
    Reactions: nicodemus
    Upvote 0
    Mar 10, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    Not Yet
    What a cool experience and memory it would be for your son.

Mid October is a great time to go after the pelagics here in San Diego, but I'm afraid to say that your biggest challenge at the moment will be finding a couple of spots around that time frame for a multiday (mid-week or long weekend trip). Most boats have been booked solid about a year in advance and you'd have to get on waiting lists and hope spaces open up from cancellations. I'm going to guess coming from Alaska, that's a gamble you'd probably not be willing to make. Further, if you were able to get a couple of spots, your time constraint would most likely limit you to BFT. Keep in mind things could change and the skipper could make a different decision.

Maybe others will have other ideas/suggestions for this year, but if you'd be willing to consider next year on a 6+ day long range trip that typically will go to Baja and hit the Rocks/Ridge, you'd have a great shot at variety which would include YT, YFT, Dorados, Grouper, Wahoo, maybe bottom fishing, and possibly even BFT all on the same trip. Since you'd be traveling from Alaska, I'm guessing you would want confirmed reservations.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Bburns805
    Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat Name
    Private
    If you can't find any suitable charters jump on a SD open party trip. I would recommend a 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 day trip to give yourself plenty of fishing time to target various species. Although Oct can be challenging and unpredictable in both weather and fishing options the longer the trip the more options the captain has available. At the risk of getting negative responses, from the boats that have open spots I'd recommend the Top Gun leaving 10/17 or the Ranger 85 leaving 10/24. Let me know if I can be of any assistance I'll be on the boat.

Upvote 0

dapHBCM

Sep 30, 2020
    SoCal
    Name
    David
    Boat Name
    Someday
    Agreeing with the above --- mid October is a great time out of SD (I try to book 2 trips in October if the wife allows it) Absolute minimum 1.5 day, but if you have time I would aim for closer to 3 days + for the best chances at good fish and being able to work around any iffy weather.

The most in demand boats always book up in advance, but if you are set for this year I have never been unhappy with my decision to book whatever boat was available last minute. I think the El Capitan has some 2 day trips in October --- its a small rocky boat, but the crew works HARD and the Captain is fishy.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat Name
    African Queen
    I'll second The Islander. I've fished it once, also fished the Top Gun 80 once. TG80 definitely fishy and gets after it. Haven't fished the others mentioned.

Reasons for Islander - boat is set up very similar to a long range boat: staterooms for 2-4 people, book early and pick your room. Great food and service. Deckies were top notch and personable, captain communicated well and worked hard. Boat is laid out nicely. If comfort is part of the package, they'd take the nod in my book over boats that have bunk rooms and mainly do 1-2 day trips.

Would love to try the Pacific Dawn one day. Very fishy, great bluefin numbers a lot of times, and the layout looks very comfortable.

Upvote 0

Sobie2

Jan 7, 2008
    Juneau
    Name
    Nate
    Boat Name
    22 Aluminum Landingcraft
    Booked 3 day trip on the Legend... We shall see what happens! Now to book airfare, hotel, and fish processor I hear. Is it possible to simply walk on and not bring any tackle or rods/reels? Thanks everyone.

Soble2

Reactions: dapHBCM
    Upvote 0

Sailing La Reina

Almost A Member
    Apr 10, 2019
    San Pedro, CA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat Name
    La Reina
    You can rent rods and reels at the tackle shop. Also, any tackle you may need can be purchased there.
    Also, make sure you tell the crew that you are a first timer. They will do their best to make your trip successful.

Upvote 0

dapHBCM

Sep 30, 2020
    SoCal
    Name
    David
    Boat Name
    Someday
    You may want to call ahead and "reserve" some rental tackle as well --- I've never had problems day of, but things have been a little crazy this year (you already know about the processors).

Upvote 0