Reefmo

Almost A Member
Nov 28, 2016
North OC
Name
Matt Skogmo
Boat
Trout Sniffer - heavily customized 18.5 tracker targa
I am moderately new to this ocean fishing thing...
Last year, nearly every time I went out conditions were awesome. Glass water, unidirection swell. Occasional fog. Sometimes an afternoon breeeze.

This year, it seems like every time I have gone out, the ocean is pissed. Mixed swell, always blended with a stiff breeze making for washing machine conditions.

Even so on overnight boats...

What gives?

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
I am moderately new to this ocean fishing thing...
Last year, nearly every time I went out conditions were awesome. Glass water, unidirection swell. Occasional fog. Sometimes an afternoon breeeze.

This year, it seems like every time I have gone out, the ocean is pissed. Mixed swell, always blended with a stiff breeze making for washing machine conditions.

Even so on overnight boats...

What gives?

Global Warming. :puff:

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
It's called weather..... gotta pick your days

Reactions: albster
Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
At least your were on the water and fishing.

Did you catch anything?

Upvote 0

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
Nov 28, 2015
Tustin
Name
Croaker
Boat
Arima Sea Pacer
It’s the year after “El Niño”

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
Just seems like lots of wind this year.... be thankful we are not getting hurricanes...

Tomorrow will be a calm day... my crew and I will go chase some fish....:)

Upvote 0

Reefmo

Almost A Member
Nov 28, 2016
North OC
Name
Matt Skogmo
Boat
Trout Sniffer - heavily customized 18.5 tracker targa
This time we were just out watching the airshow at huntington beach... 2 sandabs, 2 mackerel.

Upvote 0

karlk1125

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 20, 2008
Bodega Bay
Name
Karl Kobler
Boat
2008 World Cat 320 EC twin Mercury v8 300 Verado “Freedom”
It’s been an insane wind year up north of point conception, looks like y’all have been getting the south end of it. But, if you think what you’re getting is rough, come check out Bodega bay in June

Reactions: brice
Upvote 0

Azarkon

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
El Niño ended winter of 2015. 2016 and this year are neutral conditions heading into a possible La Niña this winter. We're still getting yft in local waters so wouldn't say it's normal, unless this is the new normal.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
El Niño ended winter of 2015. 2016 and this year are neutral conditions heading into a possible La Niña this winter. We're still getting yft in local waters so wouldn't say it's normal, unless this is the new normal.

There has been quite a bit of energy carried over in the form of increased water temp since the ENSO indicator went neutral in 2016. That makes sense given how big the warm water event was. Add to that the huge volume of tuna that came with the warm water event and has also carried over locally I would say that local YFT in the fall is very normal. We have seen the same thing not only after the last two large El Nino events but I have caught footballs from a skiff in years that were neutral but where we had good local warm water in the fall.
While the volume of fish we are seeing may be "new" I would bet that is only because we are not looking back far enough to see a longer cycle at play.

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Just a good reminder to check your weather reports before heading out.

I have seen more mixed swells than normal this month. But then again, I cant remember what I had for dinner last night, much more than how well the weather was.

I do remember getting BFT in January last few years. That I remember!

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Its all about timing.I dont have the luxury,like many of us, to take off and go fishing when the weather is great.Im pretty much restricted to fishing the weekends.

It sucks when the weather is great during the week because i know it doesnt last forever.Altough,2 years ago the weather was awesome for 3-4 weeks straight and the water temp off la jolla damn near hit 80 degrees,I saw 78...it was the year of the hoo...man what a great season that was.

Upvote 0