Snap on tools worth the money?

Discussion in 'Nonsense Anything Boards' started by slayerdw, Apr 28, 2010.

1. slayerdw

slayerdw Newbie

Name:
    Adrian
    Boat:
    Moo moo
    I need to start buying tools for work cant decide to go for the MADE IN CHINA or tools like Snap on, SK MATCO etc...

2. ConSeaMate

ConSeaMate Legend in my own mind

Name:
    Buster Brown
    Boat:
    28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
    Your kidding right?........SnapOn all the way!.......

3. YANK N CRANK #2

YANK N CRANK #2 Proud Wyoming Resident

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    27, Seaway, Yank n Crank
    China tools suck... At least go with Craftsman... If you will be earning a living with them and wrenching away every day go with Snap On, or Mac or Matco... There is a difference...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  4. doorman

doorman Bartle Doo

Name:
    Brett Murray
    Boat:
    21', champion,
    I can't speak for most but I will say I own one snap on magnetic 7/16's socket and it is worth every penny.

5. slayerdw

slayerdw Newbie

Name:
    Adrian
    Boat:
    Moo moo
    I mean like i have some tools used for a year or so and they aren't snap on but it does the same work as a snap on tool . i don't understand why some guys spend so much money on them

6. Deno

Deno NO SHENANIGANS....

Name:
    DENO
    Boat:
    23 CC SEA PRO "BITE THIS"

X2 Snap on all the way!!!!!!

7. furniture 4 me

furniture 4 me Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    17 crusader
    the quality and materials used to build them are better, you get what you pay for. You do not have to buy all the snap on, some stuff from husky and others will do the same and the same performance. Corn-well is Snap on, just another name stamped on it.

8. Trayscool

Trayscool Captain

Name:
    Travis
    Boat:
    NO BOATS
    snap on is guaranteed for life. I just traded out some broken tools for new ones, no questions asked. Snap On if you can afford it or craftsman since at least you can exchange with just a little hassle

9. lasparky11

lasparky11 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Gene
    Boat:
    X-wife she's so fat she floats
    When your wrenching all day you quickly learn the value of snap-on tools. If you a home mechanic working on your car or boat go with Craftman polished. Much easier on your hands & a good quality tool. But nothing beats a Snap-on.

10. slayerdw

slayerdw Newbie

Name:
    Adrian
    Boat:
    Moo moo
    Thanks for the input since ima be dealing with tools ima go buy some snap on stuff slowly tho

11. Slater

Slater cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    sold! / cattle boat
    You need to decide what tools you need to be the best & where you can skimp. I work in the automotive industry & have for 15 years now. Im a heavy line tech, all aspects of internal engine repairs, exhaust work, leaks, coolant concerns, vibrations & noises, overhaul / repair manual trans & clutch work, etc..
    My impact wobble sockets are Snap On but I have Craftsman sockets too, Matco ratcheting wrenches, ect...
    I like thin / long pro series no offset fine tooth box end / ratcheting wrenches without a stupid freaking lever to switch direction of the ratchet... Snap-On doesnt offer that, Matco & SK does & way cheaper.. Get it???
    Look at what you need & decide whats important. SnapOn 1/4 chrome socket sets @ $100 are not going to work any better than a $20 set from Sears or even HarborFreight...
    Ive got 1/2 drive impact wobble sockets from HarborFreight made by PitsBurg Steal & have not broken one yet & also have a lifetime warranty. Yes I dont use them as often as my goto 3/8 stuff that i use all day everyday but at $50 for a complete set vs $500 its a no brainer for me....
    I dont own a $10,000 condo to hold my tools I have an $800 CraftsMan tool box & have had it since day one, it does its job...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  12. screaming_spool

screaming_spool Member

Name:
    fisherman
    Boat:
    What
    I make my living wrenching. There is a difference on tools. Craftsmen tools are o.k but use a Snap On, Matco, Mac and you will tell the difference. everthing the big 3 make are not the best. The ratchets, sockets, screwdrivers are. If pliers are what you want get channel lock or Knipex. Hammers get at home depot. rubber mallets and dead blows get at harbor freight. Try to by some used tools on ebay or swapmeets if price is a issue.

13. cksea

cksea <*}}}<

Name:
    CKSEA
    Boat:
    PORTA
    snap on warranty sucks.

My Tech-2 torq wrench broke and they said $80 to repair, only a 1 year warranty.

Craftsman is the best value

14. hardrider5

hardrider5 Master

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Parker 2520
    So here is the deal from a 30 year master tech. When I started out, it was a set of craftsman tools and boxes my parents helped me purchase. As time went on, the craftsman were traded up for Snap-on. I'm not wrenching Daley but when I need a replacement tool, it's harbor freight, sears ect. The snapon quality is not as important and I like to save money.

The Snap on quality is the best and as a Tech increases his earnings, many will go up in quality. I did and I still have all those tools.

I caution the new guys coming up too go with a little lower quality like Craftsman ect. because they will have many more tools for the same money and they will be able to do more and make more. As time goes on, they can trade up.

I believe the Tech buying snap-on today knows the tool feels better and performs better but many also believe they deserve the top quality because they have become top quality Techs. There is a little status mixed into the equation.

15. divegod1

divegod1 AKA "unidentified angler"

Name:
    Michael
    Boat:
    next one i'm on...
    Get the best you can afford, but shop around. You'll only have to buy e'm once.

16. rojodiablo

rojodiablo Dive club flunkie

Name:
    Paul Romanowski
    Boat:
    Sold the boat; running the rubber ducky! (Inflatable)
    Some of their stuff is not better than other brands, but it is never WORSE. As a substitute, think about what the tools will be doing: For boat bilge work, a Stanley screwdriver is a good call. For fine cabinets and electrical hookups on switches and T-stats, you want Klein or similar clean screwdrivers with crisp edges.
    The Snap-on, Mac, Matco tools are good for the no hassle warranty, and when you really beat the shit out of wrenches on service trucks and as a full time mechanic, they do tend to hold up to abuse very well.

With this said, I have Husky wrenches I bought over 15 years ago now, and I am no saint with a tool. I have yet to break one by hand. The only sockets cracked were with super long cheaters, and throwing them on an impact wrench, knowing I would blow one up.

Certain other tools it is a good idea to get another top tier name, not necessarily Snap-On: Crescent wrenches- they work really well when they are Crescent. Channel Lock pliers. Klein electrical tools- crimpers, lineman pliers, screwdrivers. Klenk snips are about the best.

If you can't afford to buy Snap-On, then be sure to get the best tools you can possibly buy. Don't skimp on these, you will lose more in frustration and replacing broken tools than you want to imagine.

The only thing you should buy from Harbor Freight is cutoff wheels, flap disks, and 2-3lb maul hammers. Their tools are truly 3rd world status; steer clear.

17. stairman

stairman ......

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    tools!!!! I have a twenty eight year old belt sander that my ex wife had a fit over.
    That tool far out lasted the exwife and was ultimately way cheaper then a tool that cost half as much.Not to mention the ex wife!
    So you have to ask your self ....self... are you in this trade for the long haul or is it just a job to make money while you figure out what you really want to do.
    Either way the good and great quality tools will get you a lot more if you ever decide to sell them....which you should be drawn and quartered for...selling tools is usually a bad idea.I would rather have top ramen for dinner then sell any tools!

18. Sluester

Sluester I kill stuff

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Killin time, Bill Collector
    What are you in school for? If it's to be a mechanic there are programs to buy tools at a significant discount.

If it's a tool you'll be using every day then buy the best quality you can afford. if you are worried about breaking them make sure you use the right tool for the job. I use to cringe when I would see what some mechanics used for certain jobs. Turning wrenches is about time and $$. The right tool can cost a bit more but can make the job go much faster and pays for itself quickly.
    If you have a tool dealer in the area he will stop by your shop every week. You can get interest free loan (for a certain amount of $$) when you buy form a truck.....make weekly agreed upon payments. Hurts a lot less. Only buy what you can afford to pay off!
    This is for any tool truck. Be careful, you can get in over your head real quick.

Papa J on here is a Matco dealer, he may be able to help you out. I use to be one.

19. Papa "J"

Papa "J" I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    Fisrt I will start by saying I had a Snap-On Franchise for 7 years. I am currently a Matco Dealer.

The quality in the hand tools are comparable between Snap-On and matco with the same warranties. If this is going to be your career then go with high quality tools. Sure you can go bring stuff to Sears to get swapped, but that takes time and time is money in this industry.

A little background on Matco. Parent company is Danaher, which is like a 12 billion dollar company and they own aproximately 80-90 tool companies including Matco, Fluke, craftsman, allen, hennessy, ect. So because of the relationship we have with these other companies I have found that it is easier to get product as well as have items warrantied for customers.

As far as tool boxes, Matco has a superior product. They actually took the Snap-On design and improved upon it. If you pm you number I can explain what the big differences are.

If you are in one of the votech schools buy everything you can thrugh the school. Most of the prices for students are less than what I can get it for. Example a 2 bay tool box normally around $4100 is just under $1800 though the school.

Also I beleive matco has financing for students where Snap-On may not. go to the matco website Matco Tools Technical Education Program

As far as opinions which service is better. It all depends on the dealer. I have known some great Snap On and Matco reps and know some that i wouldn't piss on if they were on fire. Our business is all about customer service, consistency and quality.

BTW Matco does have a less expensive brand not the same quality as Matco branded but lifetime warranty as well called Silver Eagle.
    With Matco or other higher priced brands you will be paying a premium price for preimum service and premium quality.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  20. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt did you say F I S H I N G ???

Name:
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat:
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    my $.02

I pretty much agree with this. I turned wrenches for a few years, about 30 years ago. I still have all my MATCO and SNAPON tools......they last forever.

the one thing I want to point out, is that I bought Craftsman tools when I started, but I got tired of breaking wrenches and sockets. Craftsman would replace them.....but not the skin on my knuckles!

I have never broken a Matco or Snapon tool.