Waterdog~

Just one more
Sep 1, 2009
Hollywood
Name
Brian
Boat
Tiderunner
I look on line and there are plenty of brines but a couple of ?????

1 Skin on or off?

2 cut into strips or do them whole?

3 is there a membrane that needs to be removed on belly side?

Thanks for the info plus if need be post your brine and time smoke too

Thanks
Waterdog on the side :finger:

effigy

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 18, 2007
Oregon
Name
Mark
Boat
Which one? Too many....
Been experimenting with this for a number of years. I used to leave the skin on, and set it skin side down on the rack. This results in a lot of the oil collecting on the skin. i don't mind that at all, but some folks do. I changed it to removing the skin but leaving the belly membrane intact. Then I set it on the rack with the membrane down. That holds it together.

For the brine, just remember that tuna soaks it up way faster than other fish such as salmon. So whatever brine you use for salmon, and however long you like to soak it for, cut that time in half or even in thirds. I soak tuna for no longer than 3 hours. if you soak it for the same time you soak the salmon, it will be so salty it's almost not edible...without vast quantities of beer anyways:hali_olutta:

The other thing is...I don't like the smoked tuna to be cooked too much...but I do like lots of smoke. So I only use the top 2 or 3 racks. And I try to avoid running the smoker during an 80 - 90 degree day (but late into the evening / night is OK). a good 6 - 7 hours. This gives it kind of a cold-smoked texture...still moist...not raw...but not cooked.

Regarding the strips vs whole, I remove the center section...about 1/2 to 3/4 inch...that is hard & fibrous. That leaves the two halves, which I keep intact. Does that make sense?

Hope this helps!

p.s. by the way....just realize that smoked tuna bellies are so oily (and delicious) that when you touch them...or put them on a plate, or in the refrigerator....anything they touch will have that smell soaked in. So if you have a person in the house...such as a "spousal unit"....who does not like that smell.....you will be washing anything it touches repeatedly to keep the harmony intact.

tinmanxx

Jun 6, 2009
McCleary, WA
Name
Mark
Boat
7 Meter Donzi / Thunder Rat
I just threw a batch in the brine tonight. I just toss in whole loins for 8 hrs. Rinse and dry then hit them with 1 hr. of smoke. Now they are ready for the canner. I prefer them that way never really liked the way they finish in the smoker.

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
I do bellies completely different than the fillets.

I dont brine them at all, I put a "rub" on them after removing the skin side, leaving the belly membrane. I rub them with some kosher salt, and a special "herb" mixture I make up with whatever spices I find in the cabinet....but mostly oregano. Since I like it spicy, I also use a pinch of a secret mixture of dried peppers I grow, and grind into powder. (Habs, Serranos, Jalepenos....seeds and all........and remember, just a pinch LOL) well, there goes the secret. :)

membrane side down, apply the rub, smoke it with apple or cherry. It never seems to last long around here.....

Gil Marlin

World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator
Nov 27, 2003
Laguna Percebu Baja Norte
Name
Scott
Boat
19.655' Aluminum
Hey Mike, I have a bunch of Apricot chips for you to try. I cut my Apricot tree down and ran it through my friends wood chipper. I used it on my last batch of fish and it was very good, let me know...

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
sold!

now, we just need some "raw material" to work with......

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
you guy,s are making me hungry.belly,s are the best.my late friend used to give me belly, all the time when he was around,he used too smoke mine for me to.

roadracerrick

Mar 26, 2009
oly
Name
rick
Boat
nw jet
i leave the belly skin on and slice the membrane. i use the seasoning from the tuna classic. covering the the belly smoke all night. bring them to work and they dont last ten minutes.

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
I see the makings for a BD version of "iron chef" in the making here folks! :)

MikeeDaGuy

Fishin FIN-Attict
May 21, 2006
Frazier Park
Name
Mikee
Boat
12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
Better see if Tommy is busy so he can whip us all into shape! LOL

TunaHore

World Champion Boat Ho
Jun 5, 2012
Island
Name
Tuck
Boat
Carolina Dory
I do ok in the rookie catagory, but don't want to compete with chef Patrick

blindpig

Aug 25, 2010
Lynden
Name
Erik
Boat
25' Kingfisher
Stumbled upon a recipe on another site somewhere but I don't remember where or who's recipe it was but lord is it simple and good. If you like bacon, give this a shot. Just take the bellies and layer them in rock salt for 20 min (skin off). Pull em out, lightly rinse, and smoke em (I have used both alder and apple) to your desired doneness. I promise you they won't last long.

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
Tommy would put the "hells kitchen" dude to shame.......

.....just sayin. :D (look at his portrait/avitar!) LOL

TunaHore

World Champion Boat Ho
Jun 5, 2012
Island
Name
Tuck
Boat
Carolina Dory
You rinse Tuna? I was told to never let fresh tuna touch fresh water. And from what I have seen from thawed condensation, I have to agree with the theory.

Do whatever brine / spice / flavour thing you want.

You can't go wrong.

RINSE off the fish. Cooking / smoking concentrates flavours.

Rinse and let dry for several hours.

I think the term is pelicule.

The dryish skin that forms on the flesh.

Wait for it, use a fan to shorten the time to an hour or so.

If you are going to eat the skin, leave it on.
Otherwise, scrape it off.

LOW temperature. Long enough time.