Offshore Smoked em.

Mar 9, 2018
so cal
Name
Thomas
Boat Name
thunderbird
When fishing in the ocean, however, boat limits are allowed for anglers fishing from a boat. This means that all anglers can continue fishing until the total numbers of fish on the boat are equal to the total number of fish allowed for every angler, despite who actually caught each fish. Upon departing the boat, each passenger can only possess one daily bag limit.

These are the regs while boat fishing on ocean. Personally I hook and hand after limits and sometimes before limits. If you fight them all especially 26 you’re taking the experience of it from other passengers. Most people don’t go for the meat but the experience of the battles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 9, 2018
so cal
Name
Thomas
Boat Name
thunderbird
When fishing in the ocean, however, boat limits are allowed for anglers fishing from a boat. This means that all anglers can continue fishing until the total numbers of fish on the boat are equal to the total number of fish allowed for every angler, despite who actually caught each fish. Upon departing the boat, each passenger can only possess one daily bag limit.

These are the regs while boat fishing on ocean. Personally I hook and hand after limits and sometimes before limits. If you fight them all especially 26 you’re taking the experience of it from other passengers. Most people don’t go for the meat but the experience of the battles.
i agree... most people go out for the battle. Thats why we were always at the rail and lived off caffeine for the entire weekend while others slept through the night bite.

Upvote 0

Piizzii

🐟
  • Oct 17, 2020
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Name
    Piizzii
    Boat Name
    No
    We had an older gentleman on one of our multiday charters a few years ago catch his daily limit and then told the capt and all the crew he was going to bed and would finish up his trip limit the next morning. He got up in the morning and immediately hooked the biggest fish and could not believe it when the deck hands cut his line to let it go. Needless to say he was not a happy camper as the "boat limit" was explained to him. He did not care about their explanation as he reminded the captain and crew of his intentions before he went to bed. He said if he just wanted to buy a fish and not have the fun of catching it and eating his catch, he can go down to the harbor on Sat morning and buy one for a lot less money than what he paid to go catch one. All they could do was apologize for their mistake. As a charter group we learned a lesson and do not allow the boat limit. Each individual must be more discriminatory as the fish is brought to gaff on whether to keep it or not. It works for our group.
    Right, I disagree with boat limits to an extent as well. Went on a trip 2 weeks ago and becuase the trip only had a few bookings it ended up with some dead heads on the trip. Needless to say we limited out in an hour on one stop on #25 grade fish. Some anglers had brought 7-8 fish in on this one stop as it was wide open while others had only caught 1 or even zero. After a while the captain made the announcement to stop fishing if you had more than 2 but it was late. We got a whole hour of fishing before everyone had to stop as boat limits had been reached.

Needless to say we spent the rest of the trip only driving around looking for trophies and some of the anglers in the trip didn’t get much opportunity to fish at all.

I don’t think you have to stop fishing after 2 fish or your personal limit but you should have some courtesy and either hand the fish off or catch and release if they are small fish and you already at your limit.

Guys who brag about catching 10 bluefin on an overnight trip are selfish more than anything and taking away rail space and opportunity from other paying customers.

Lend them a hand and give them room to fish instead of bragging about how they are doing something wrong.

H
    Haydendomino
    “Well, I’m the best there is. Plain and simple, when I wake up in the morning I piss excellence. If you ain’t first your last.” - Ricky Bobby
    In all seriousness those who chose to grind it out caught fish while those who slept did not.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Tyler Doan

• Nov 9, 2016
    Anaheim
    Name
    Tyler
    Boat Name
    Parker 2520 MV
    Right, I disagree with boat limits to an extent as well. Went on a trip 2 weeks ago and becuase the trip only had a few bookings it ended up with some dead heads on the trip. Needless to say we limited out in an hour on one stop on #25 grade fish. Some anglers had brought 7-8 fish in on this one stop as it was wide open while others had only caught 1 or even zero. After a while the captain made the announcement to stop fishing if you had more than 2 but it was late. We got a whole hour of fishing before everyone had to stop as boat limits had been reached.

Needless to say we spent the rest of the trip only driving around looking for trophies and some of the anglers in the trip didn’t get much opportunity to fish at all.

I don’t think you have to stop fishing after 2 fish or your personal limit but you should have some courtesy and either hand the fish off or catch and release if they are small fish and you already at your limit.

Guys who brag about catching 10 bluefin on an overnight trip are selfish more than anything and taking away rail space and opportunity from other paying customers.

Lend them a hand and give them room to fish instead of bragging about how they are doing something wrong.
    Kinda hard to hand off fish when everyone’s in their bunks, just sayin… plus this dude clearly commented that there were only 6 people on the rail so don’t know about him “taking away rail space” 🤡

CaliJeepHuntr
    CaliJeepHuntr
    So that makes it ok to catch everyone else's fish? I'd be pissed. I'm hopefully going on a trip in a couple weeks and hope I don't run into this issue. May be my only trip and I want to catch my fish, that I paid for the opportunity to catch.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Piizzii

🐟
  • Oct 17, 2020
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Name
    Piizzii
    Boat Name
    No
    Kinda hard to hand off fish when everyone’s in their bunks, just sayin… plus this dude clearly commented that there were only 6 people on the rail so don’t know about him “taking away rail space” 🤡

To each their own, but it’s the captains job to be mindful of all the paying customers on the boat. If it’s a wide open bite and you are letting anglers catch well over their bag without giving a heads up of “hey fish are biting wake up if you want to catch some” well, I’d rather get on a different boat.

Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
    Apr 27, 2003
    santee
    Visit site
    Name
    dwayne
    Boat Name
    Cabo 216
    For those that are interested in reading the law regarding "boat limits" for this discussion.. Where it gets interesting is 195 (e) (3) where it talks about fish taken in other jurisdictions (Mexico). This should really get the discussion going!!!! Below is the law as written in Ca Fish and Wildlife code.

195. Report of Fish Taken to be Made by Owner of Barge or Vessel for Hire and Boat Limits.

(a) Pursuant to Section 190 the owner/operator of a commercial passenger fishing vessel shall keep a logbook of fishing activities.

(1) The form entitled Commercial Passenger Fishing Vessel Log, Central and Northern California, DFW 195A (Rev 01/16), incorporated by reference herein, shall be used when the vessel is engaged in fishing north of Point Conception.

(2) The form entitled Commercial Passenger Fishing Vessel Log, Southern California, DFW 195B (Rev 01/16), incorporated by reference herein, shall be used when the vessel is engaged in fishing south of Point Conception.

(b) The owner(s) and/or operator(s) of each vessel required to obtain a license under Section 7920 of the Fish and Game Code shall post a notice in a prominent place on the vessel giving information to fishermen on license requirements, bag limits, and other pertinent information. This notice shall be furnished by the department.

(c) Both the vessel owner(s) and/or operator(s) shall be responsible for keeping accurate records and insuring the vessel is in compliance with sub-sections (a) and (b) above.

(d) All fishing activity records are confidential pursuant to Fish and Game Code Sections 7923 and 8022 and Government Code Sections 6276 and 6276.10.

(e) Boat Limits: When two or more persons licensed or otherwise authorized to sport fish in ocean waters off California or in the San Francisco Bay District, as defined in Section 27.00, are angling for finfish in these waters aboard a vessel licensed under Section 7920, fishing by these persons (to include vessel operator(s) and crew members where licensed to sportfish under their own individual limits) may continue until the passenger’s boat limits of those finfish are taken and possessed aboard the vessel as authorized under this section.

(1) For purposes of this section, the vessel operator(s) and crew members are not passengers and may not take fish towards obtaining boat limits for passengers except for casting, setting trolling gear, gaffing or netting fish, but may take fish during a fishing trip for their personal use only. Vessel operator(s) and crew members may assist passengers in other activities including, but not limited to, obtaining bait, chumming, baiting and untangling hooks and lines, identifying, dispatching, filleting, counting, bagging and otherwise handling fish taken by passengers. Upon completion of a fishing trip, the vessel operator(s) and crew members may only possess fish that are part of their own personal bag limit not to exceed authorized sportfishing daily bag and possession limits.

(2) Fish taken by operator(s) and crew members for personal use pursuant to (e)(1) above must be separated from fish taken under a boat limit and labeled in a manner that they can be identified as an individual operator’s or crew members fish. Operator(s) and crew members are also prohibited from giving all or part of their individual limit to any passenger during or after a trip.

(3) The authorization for boat limits aboard a vessel does not apply to fishing trips originating in California where fish are taken in other jurisdictions.

(4) A boat limit for a species or species group is equal to the number of passengers aboard the vessel that are licensed or otherwise authorized to sport fish in ocean waters off California or in the San Francisco Bay District multiplied by the individual daily bag limit authorized for a species or species group. For purposes of this section, the number of passengers shall not include the vessel operator(s) and crew members. It is unlawful to exceed the boat limit at any time.

(5) Prior to the departure on a fishing trip of a vessel that is licensed under Fish and Game Code Section 7920, the number of fishers, to include passengers, guests, operators and crew who will be fishing, shall be recorded under “number of fishers” on the logbook for that trip. In addition, the number of vessel operator(s) and crew members who will fish for that trip shall be recorded in the space to the right of the operator’s signature on the logbook.

(6) Upon completion of a sport fishing trip aboard a vessel reporting under this section, each licensed or otherwise authorized angler may not possess more than the daily bag and possession limits. For the purposes of this section, a fishing trip is completed at the time a person disembarks from the vessel and individual possession limits apply.

(7) Species for which no daily bag limit exists are not included in the boat limit.

(f) Where boat limits are provided for in this section, the vessel operator(s) and crew members may be cited for violations occurring aboard the vessel, including but not limited to violations of the following:

(1) Overlimits

(2) Possession of prohibited species

(3) Minimum size limits

(4) Fish taken out of season or in closed areas

(g) Boat limits are not authorized for sturgeon fishing and shall not apply to the take, possession or retention of sturgeon.

Upvote 0

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat Name
    Boats n hoes
    To each their own, but it’s the captains job to be mindful of all the paying customers on the boat. If it’s a wide open bite and you are letting anglers catch well over their bag without giving a heads up of “hey fish are biting wake up if you want to catch some” well, I’d rather get on a different boat.
    They never even reached boat limits, so stop crying. Everyone had their chance to catch regardless of what the OP caught. It's been a night bite going on for quite a while now, so that's on you if you slept thru it.

Upvote 0

ironman

Jun 15, 2003
    Cardiff, CA.
    Visit site
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    PT 175 Tracker
    So what if said angler or anglers are inexperienced or unfortunate, did not sleep during said bite, and land 0, but boat limits are achieved by the taking of other anglers that have exceeded there personal limit, could or would operator of the vessel distribute the over limits to the less fortunate and leave em biting to go fish yellow's or go home? Thus not giving the less fortunate an opportunity to catch there own. That would just be wrong!

This is a tough question. I would not want to stop fishing and wait for the newby to catch his limit as he may never catch, But you have to feel for the newby as his ticket is worth just as much as mine.

I think catch as release in this sitch is the best way to go and or offer the newby the "option" to take a handout. Then cull my own fish for the opportunity to catch a nice one. Id rather take home one 25#'r with the change of my 2nd being a 50+

Upvote 0

Tsmithson

Almost A Member
  • Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat Name
    No
    Every trip is an adventure.
    Every trip is different.
    Everyone needs to get out on multiple trips to balance the good trips with the bad.
    Everyone should be able to overlook one bad trip or things that didn’t work well and learn from it.

What we don’t need is bitching because the fishing was too good.
    This is cattle boat fishing gentlemen…..
    AKA combat fishing- fish long, fish hard, get er done.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Tsmithson

Almost A Member
  • Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat Name
    No
    The Rockcod boats are fishing for boat limits also. If one Rockcod fishermen is helping catch extra for the guy who is struggling to put fish in his bag…. Are we going to complain about the process or the wisdom of this practice.

The benefits far outweigh the negative consequences.

Upvote 0

CaliJeepHuntr

Almost A Member
    May 21, 2008
    San Luis Obispo
    Name
    Nick
    Boat Name
    Hot Wired - 2320 Parker (Dad's)
    Rockcod limit is 10, and much easier to catch. Put some squid on a hook and you're set. This is much different with 2 being the limit on a fish that can be tough to hook and tough to catch.

Upvote 0
    Mar 9, 2018
    so cal
    Name
    Thomas
    Boat Name
    thunderbird
    So what if said angler or anglers are inexperienced or unfortunate, did not sleep during said bite, and land 0, but boat limits are achieved by the taking of other anglers that have exceeded there personal limit, could or would operator of the vessel distribute the over limits to the less fortunate and leave em biting to go fish yellow's or go home? Thus not giving the less fortunate an opportunity to catch there own. That would just be wrong!

This is a tough question. I would not want to stop fishing and wait for the newby to catch his limit as he may never catch, But you have to feel for the newby as his ticket is worth just as much as mine.

I think catch as release in this sitch is the best way to go and or offer the newby the "option" to take a handout. Then cull my own fish for the opportunity to catch a nice one. Id rather take home one 25#'r with the change of my 2nd being a 50+
    Like I said, fish were handed off... and we handed out most of our fish. we didnt even keep our own personal limits. Also, please tell me how you suggest we "catch and release" a bluefin that has my 50 dollar jig down its throat.

Upvote 0
    Mar 9, 2018
    so cal
    Name
    Thomas
    Boat Name
    thunderbird
    Rockcod limit is 10, and much easier to catch. Put some squid on a hook and you're set. This is much different with 2 being the limit on a fish that can be tough to hook and tough to catch.it
    We were able to keep 2 day limits but we didnt even keep those for ourselves. we gave away 19 fish and some people went home with more fish than us. Sorry if watching other people fish hard and catch fish hurts your feelings.

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat Name
    arima - the SLIDER
    Like I said, fish were handed off... and we handed out most of our fish. we didnt even keep our own personal limits. Also, please tell me how you suggest we "catch and release" a bluefin that has my 50 dollar jig down its throat.
    We were able to keep 2 day limits but we didnt even keep those for ourselves. we gave away 19 fish and some people went home with more fish than us. Sorry if watching other people fish hard and catch fish hurts your feelings.
    No need to defend yourself. You are just facing the typical BD scrutiny when posting a report. No good deed goes unpunished.

When all else fails, run away. :rofl:

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are mostly Bullshit, should be taken with a gain of salt and most likely contain spelling and grammatical errors. Any issues regarding this comment should be directed to the WGARA Department. Thank you.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Tsmithson

Almost A Member
  • Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat Name
    No
    Rockcod limit is 10, and much easier to catch. Put some squid on a hook and you're set. This is much different with 2 being the limit on a fish that can be tough to hook and tough to catch.
    The number or ease doesn’t change the principle and reasoning for boat limits on a cattle boat.

The fact that it is difficult to make boat limits consistently even on Rockcod speaks volumes.

Everyone on the boat has the exact same amount of time to fish as everyone else.
    Just like some commercial fishermen have the same amount of time to fish until the quota or time is up.

Last edited:
    Reactions: jigchuckerthomas
    Upvote 0

CaliJeepHuntr

Almost A Member
    May 21, 2008
    San Luis Obispo
    Name
    Nick
    Boat Name

I think you misunderstand me. Your statement of caught 19 additional fish to give away to others who didn't catch... that wasn't a hookup and pass off of 19 fish? Or that was 19 fish you fought, landed and then gave away? Because the latter is where I take issue for me personally.

I'm up on the central coast, so me getting down SD to fish on a boat is few and far between. When I get on the boat, I want my opportunity to catch the fish. If I don't catch my fish, so be it. But if someone like you just whacks and stacks 19 additional fish towards the overall boat limit, well, I take issue with that because now my opportunity is gone. I paid my fare to get on the boat just like you.

Rockfish is 10 fish, and the opportunities to catch with a 10 bag limit is much more forgiving versus 2 fish.

I do a lot of salmon fishing so I don't mind letting someone who doesn't get out or go a lot catch my fish towards our boat limit on our boat. But for an opportunity at a fish I don't get a chance at very infrequently? Of course I want my shot at catching the fish.

Upvote 0
    Mar 9, 2018
    so cal
    Name
    Thomas
    Boat Name
    thunderbird
    I think you misunderstand me. Your statement of caught 19 additional fish to give away to others who didn't catch... that wasn't a hookup and pass off of 19 fish? Or that was 19 fish you fought, landed and then gave away? Because the latter is where I take issue for me personally.

I'm up on the central coast, so me getting down SD to fish on a boat is few and far between. When I get on the boat, I want my opportunity to catch the fish. If I don't catch my fish, so be it. But if someone like you just whacks and stacks 19 additional fish towards the overall boat limit, well, I take issue with that because now my opportunity is gone. I paid my fare to get on the boat just like you.

Rockfish is 10 fish, and the opportunities to catch with a 10 bag limit is much more forgiving versus 2 fish.

I do a lot of salmon fishing so I don't mind letting someone who doesn't get out or go a lot catch my fish towards our boat limit on our boat. But for an opportunity at a fish I don't get a chance at very infrequently? Of course I want my shot at catching the fish.
    first of all. the boat didnt even catch limits. we were still over 30 fish shy of boat limits. If we were close to catching limits and everyone was fishing thats a different story. Everyone has the same amount of opportunity in terms of time on the boat to fish. my buddy and I just decided to fish harder than some people on the boat. Everyone pays the same amount to go fishing... its just a matter of how you spend your time once youre one the boat cause the "opportunity" to catch them is the same for everyone.

Upvote 0

Piizzii

🐟
  • Oct 17, 2020
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Name
    Piizzii
    Boat Name
    No

I’m with this guy.
    Like I said, I went on a trip a few weeks ago and we limited out in an hour on the first stop. A few guys caught 8 or 9 bluefin and started bouncing them off the deck. The next morning when some of the guys who chose to sleep woke up, captain informed them of limits and that we couldn’t really do much but maybe had room for 1 or 2 trophies. We drove away from a lot of opportunities to catch mid grade fish because of this and ended up cutting the trip short since limits were reached.

Paying customers didn’t get their chance to fish because a few dead heads caught 9 fish each. Catch and release after 2 or hand the rod off. It’s called respect for other anglers on the boat who also want to catch. Don’t think you are doing them a favor by getting boat limits. People pay to fish and catch their own fish. Not to ride on a boat and watch others catch 10 fish and brag about it.

It’s the same argument as the kid who takes all the candy from the Halloween bowl. Just a asshole move to catch WELL beyond personal limits and then proceed to make the argument that boat limits are boat limits.

No one is telling these guys to stop fishing, but practice catch and release after your 2 instead of continuing to fill the fish hold with small grade fish. Especially when no one is saying that they would like to keep that fish and put it toward their personal limit. Boat limits make the boat look good but don’t take away an opportunity for others to catch because you want to fill the fish hood by yourself.

Upvote 0

Tsmithson

Almost A Member
  • Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat Name
    No
    I was on a 2 1/2 day trip for BFT last year. The first night for an hour or more was on fire with great fishing. The rest of the trip was brutal.
    3/4 of the boat went home without a BFT.

OH,
    Did I forget to mention that the magic hour was excellent only if you had the right jig that the BFT wanted. All of the boat was fishing and watched helpless as only those few with the right jig got bit or hooked up multiple times. The whole trip SUCKED if you didn’t have the magic jig and working it during that short period of time when it was ON.

In the parking lot a guy I met on the boat begged me for a piece off the tail of one of my fish because he traveled so far and had never even tasted BFT.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

CaliJeepHuntr

Almost A Member
    May 21, 2008
    San Luis Obispo
    Name
    Nick
    Boat Name
    I was on a 2 1/2 day trip for BFT last year. The first night for an hour or more was on fire with great fishing. The rest of the trip was brutal.
    3/4 of the boat went home without a BFT.

OH,
    Did I forget to mention that the magic hour was excellent only if you had the right jig that the BFT wanted. All of the boat was fishing and watched helpless as only those few with the right jig got bit or hooked up multiple times. The whole trip SUCKED if you didn’t have the magic jig and working it during that short period of time when it was ON.

In the parking lot a guy I met on the boat begged me for a piece off the tail of one of my fish because he traveled so far and had never even tasted BFT.

That's the way it goes sometimes.

Reactions: Tsmithson
    Upvote 0

CaliJeepHuntr

Almost A Member
    May 21, 2008
    San Luis Obispo
    Name
    Nick
    Boat Name
    first of all. the boat didnt even catch limits. we were still over 30 fish shy of boat limits. If we were close to catching limits and everyone was fishing thats a different story. Everyone has the same amount of opportunity in terms of time on the boat to fish. my buddy and I just decided to fish harder than some people on the boat. Everyone pays the same amount to go fishing... its just a matter of how you spend your time once youre one the boat cause the "opportunity" to catch them is the same for everyone.

No, it sounds like you limited or took away the opportunity for them to catch fish if you boated 19 additional tuna over your own limits.

I'm glad you guys caught fish. I really am. But at the same time catching other peoples fish like that (whether they were sleeping or not) is just not cool in my opinion. You caught how many other people's limit now?

Reactions: double_entendre
    Upvote 0

COSDoug

Nov 23, 2008
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Name
    Doug
    Boat Name
    Hobie Kayak
    Boat limits are very unfair to the angler who is inexperienced and / or only gets to go out once a year. I certainly don't want to feel like I'm in a race against far more accomplished anglers.
    Once at the Ridge we got on a ripper Yellowtail bite. Several of us were enjoying the spectacular fishing. We would catch one, enjoy a beer, grab a snack, rinse and repeat. Then, oops, boat limits. About 6 of us were sitting in the galley lamenting our fate when in comes dude bragging he caught 32. He even called himself 'superman'. We all called him a very different name.

Upvote 0