onehottip

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
Left mdr @7. we hit spots in deep water around the shelf. Started near the south side 600ft moved up shallower looked as high as 250. We used fresh dead squid, colt sniper worked well in 250 ft. For only very small fish. Water was 57/8 degrees. Not much biting. We worked to the north end of shelf where we found brown redish water. The only life we found were some humpbacks and porpoise. Massive schools. Very slow fishing with only baby rockfish. Flat calm seas till 1 where it started to blow to 15. We called it a day. Nothing good to report here. Maybe a red tide is starting or just dirty water from the wind? Go elsewhere! We did 56 miles of looking.

Upvote 0

h2odude

Yellowtail hunter
Oct 1, 2017
El Segundo
Name
Patrick Gardner
Boat
Striper 2301
Thanks for the report. Wow, 56 miles on an SMB rockfish trip is impressive.

I will be heading out on SMB soon to se what bottom grabbers are out there. Seems like last year was all small rockfish too. Maybe the long run to SBI is in my future

Upvote 0

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
Case study in how going deeper doesn't magically fix anything... Rock fish make regular depth moves and tend to be more shallow in the winter.

But you might want to try live squid, dead squid is usually not that productive when there's so much live squid floating around.

Upvote 0

onehottip

May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
Case study in how going deeper doesn't magically fix anything... Rock fish make regular depth moves and tend to be more shallow in the winter.

But you might want to try live squid, dead squid is usually not that productive when there's so much live squid floating around.
I wouldn’t spend good money for live squid to rf. Just saying!

Upvote 0

Fishing for Memories

Watch Our YouTube Like & Subscribe
  • Oct 23, 2020
    MDR
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Fishing for Memories
    Boat
    Parker 2120
    Hit the bay the same day. Noticed the water was dirty as well. Scratched out a nice mixed bag. Found a 300' spot that was all you could want Sculpin so that was rad.

Upvote 0