Smallest Charlie Brown Circle Hook for Cow Fishing?

808dc

Dec 4, 2015
Washington DC
Name
james
Boat
none
What is the smallest you'd use sardine fishing for cows on 80-130 leader? I've seen everyone talk about how strong Charlie Brown hooks are, but curious to hear what size people are using? Looking at the 3/0 to 5/0, there is a noticeable jump in wire gauge.

Mainly looking for an alternative to the mid-day stealth rig of a super mutu 4/0. I've landed a couple on mutu 3/0s, but lost/bent my fair share of those as well. Looking to see what I can get away with for stealth fishing cows.

Reactions: JohnTFT
Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
I am a big fan of the Charlie Brown circle hooks, they are definitely stealthier than the Super Mutu. Attached are pics of 4/0 in both models, alternating for perspective. I have never encountered a failure with the Charlie Brown hooks, which are forged. Be very interested to follow this thread.

PXL_20211025_211950280.jpg

PXL_20211025_211859286.jpg

Reactions: JohnTFT and 808dc
808dc
808dc
Significantly stealthier. Every time I use a Super Mutu on a sardine I feel like I'm running a 2x4 through it.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Islander
What is the smallest you'd use sardine fishing for cows on 80-130 leader? I've seen everyone talk about how strong Charlie Brown hooks are, but curious to hear what size people are using? Looking at the 3/0 to 5/0, there is a noticeable jump in wire gauge.

Mainly looking for an alternative to the mid-day stealth rig of a super mutu 4/0. I've landed a couple on mutu 3/0s, but lost/bent my fair share of those as well. Looking to see what I can get away with for stealth fishing cows.
Personally I love the CB hooks. In April, my son Ben and I went to PV. It was tough to get a bite, so I dropped us to 80# Soft Steel stretch FC for him, 100# for me. And the Charlie Brown 2/0 hooks!
Well, we got the only flyline bites of the day. Ben with a 223, me with a 277! At the end, I went to full, crew tested it later, 47# of drag! 47# of drag, a testament to the strength of the new Soft Steel FC, and the strength of the CB hooks!
Also have caught a bunch of big BFT on the 1/0 CB hooks! No cow BFT on bait yet, but some 150-175#!

808dc
808dc
This is definitely what I wanted to hear. Going to use some 2/0s and 3/0s for the pick bite on my next trip. Have a trip in early December, so hopefully the big ones are down at the lower banks. Will report back.
Upvote 0
FishRock
FishRock
David,

Were you using the Reverse Trilene as your fluoro to hook knot?
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    A lot of big tuna been caught on 2/0 CB and
    Owner Circle Hooks this year with smaller
    bait on shorter trips. Stick with 3/0 up
    unless you need to I'd suggest. GL fishing.

Reactions: JohnTFT and 808dc
    Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star

I have 1/0 and 2/0 for Guadalupe, will be fishing there next week. Me personally, I'd rather fish a J hook, and fish em like as to have a more stealthy presentation. Owner offshore hooks are my preference at Guadalupe, especially while shoulder hooking sardines. But you need to have everything to cover all bases. That Gamakatsu ringed nautilus is a great hook too at Guadalupe. Got to wait and see what conditions we are fishing in. Don't forget to take 11 inch latex balloons and black rubber bands, in case you're dealing with a wind against current situation. Nose hook a bait with a appropriate circle hook and let the balloon drift back in the chum line while the fly lineing baits go up to the bow. Don't tell anybody! And if someone asks, do you have any more balloons, tell them you only have 1 more. 20 guys fishing balloons off the stern will turn into a Mongolian cluster fuck real quick.

808dc
    808dc
    I fished there with you a couple of years back on the Star. I remember a couple of guys got tangled up with the balloons and boat swinging on the first day. The deckhands were calling them the "Ventura County Knitting Club"
    Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    After reading a couple threads mentioning the CB hooks, I went online to order some. Finally found them at Trophy Tackle (Tuna Fish Tackle). Placed an order before breakfast, saw a shipping label created before lunch, order shipped next day, arrived three days later. If you need'em, John's got'em and you get'em quick!

Upvote 0

Joe-in-MN

Fishing from 40 below to 120 above..
    Sep 10, 2017
    minnesota
    Name
    Joseph Koep
    Boat
    American Angler , Ice Castle Fish House
    After reading a couple threads mentioning the CB hooks, I went online to order some. Finally found them at Trophy Tackle (Tuna Fish Tackle). Placed an order before breakfast, saw a shipping label created before lunch, order shipped next day, arrived three days later. If you need'em, John's got'em and you get'em quick!
    John's the best!!

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star
    I highly recommend Trophy tackle, I've purchased a bunch of stuff from John, ordered quite a few Shout jigs a couple months ago, bought Charlie brown hooks from him too, his prices are reasonable, and he ships very quickly! As a long range fisherman I highly recommend shopping there. He's a long range fisherman too.

Upvote 0

Durango

Nov 23, 2011
    Durango, CO
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    None
    Charlie Browns are great hooks. I had a heartbreaker on an estimated 100lb+ at Guadalupe a couple weeks ago. Bent a CB 1/0 in picture below Using 50#. However after moving up to a 2/0 Charlie Brown, no other problems on tuna in 100lb class.

I have witnessed a super cow on 5/0 CB and cows on 4/0 CB. Daytime fishing at HB, I think a 3/0 is smallest CB I will use with confidence, but as noted above others have caught cows on smaller hooks.

On same Guadalupe trip there were multiple failures broken/bent/pulled hooks by others using Nautilus 2/0 hooks. Great hooks, but not for the 80-120lb class fish.

1635222175656.jpeg

Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
    Feb 11, 2007
    The "718"
    Name
    John
    Boat
    A big Steel One
    Thank you all for the kind words. I just showed them to my wife to prove she is wrong and I am truly great!

The Charlie Brown hooks are as advertised. Light, Strong and really good at catching big fish on smaller sizes.

Yesterday I was testing some knots and crimps using our line testing rig. Another brand 7/0 circle hook was failing at 100lbs consistently.

Found a 7/0 Charlie Brown from the miscellaneous box of stuff we always seem to acquire. After a solid 25-30 pulls the hook began to deform at 150lbs. When pressure was relieved the hook went back to its normal shape.

The ring was quite deformed however. Yet I kept on using it for the rest of the tests and it never failed.

FWIW - the Springer knot as tied by John Collins - is a beast on line over 130lb test.
    Tying it in 150# Makai it was bending or deforming or deflecting all hooks used.

I couldnt get the knot to fail and was getting nervous when the pulls were exceeding 160lbs.

He is lurking here but I am pretty sure Tim Turis caught a Super on a 4/0 CB.

There will always be hook failures - my experience with a very popular brand at Clarion was proof to me I needed something different.

The next LR trip I started using Charlie Browns - never looked back.

JohnTFT
    JohnTFT
    Yes that is how I tied it.

I was not impressed with its strength in 80 and 100. Didnt get it to 100% not once.

It did test in the 70-80% range consistently.
    Upvote 0
    Steve K
    Steve K
    “There will always be hook failures - my experience with a very popular brand at Clarion was proof to me I needed something different.”

I seem to remember some of the details of that story. ;)
    I had a failure of a 3X Mustad 3/0 Ringed (wing nut some model of hook) Showed it to Rick at Fisherman’s Landing tackle shop and he admonished me for fishing a “Calico Bass hook.”
    Upvote 0
    FishRock
    FishRock
    John is this the method you are referring to for tying the Springer Knot? How does it work on 80 lb. and 100 lb?

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    After watching someone use the CB’s on a trip and get a lot more bites I ordered some from John and have nothing but good things to say about them. Taking advantage of the smaller size compared to the same size other brands at a place like the Lupe pays off. I’ve had no issues with them bending on fish up to 130lbs pulling hard with 60lb.

I still have a tray full of all kinds of different Owner hooks and have no issues using them but the CB’s have there place which reminds me I need to order some more from John for my upcoming 10 day

Upvote 0

Al B.Fishing

Aug 17, 2012
    hb ca usa
    Name
    gary
    Boat
    n/a
    After watching someone use the CB’s on a trip and get a lot more bites I ordered some from John and have nothing but good things to say about them. Taking advantage of the smaller size compared to the same size other brands at a place like the Lupe pays off. I’ve had no issues with them bending on fish up to 130lbs pulling hard with 60lb.

I still have a tray full of all kinds of different Owner hooks and have no issues using them but the CB’s have there place which reminds me I need to order some more from John for my upcoming 10 day

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Rex1978

Nov 4, 2010
    Novato, CA
    Name
    Rex
    Boat
    Hopefully one day

There are some more pictures of some CB hooks next to others in this thread as well.
    I don't have a 4/0 to measure, but here's a 3/0
    20211026_174105 (1).jpg

Upvote 0