SMALL TUNA REEL

Dozer217

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 12, 2010
LBC
Looking at the Penn board I'm seeing a lot of good sized tuna taken on the fathom 15 2 speed. Would the Metaloid 5ii be pretty much the equivalent?

rexor_rn

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
HOLLYWOOD
Name
Mananagat
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
I even had my Andros 5NII & 5II sold due to the same drag sliiping issue

Mark Bingham

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 5, 2016
California
Name
StormFishing
Boat
Wet Dream
I think the OP is talking about what size is equivalent to the 15. The 5N is close but I think in is more narrow and taller. There is no reel equivalent to the 15LD2 in the Okuma line as far as line capacity and shape.

Last edited:

Mark Bingham

Sep 5, 2016
California
Name
StormFishing
Boat
Wet Dream
The 5N is similar to the new 15XNLD2 that will be out soon. Look at the Cavala line for a 5N good 30#

Reactions: FishRock

kimbo

Jun 24, 2008
orange county
Name
Batman
Boat
21' cabo
Cavalla 5ii would be equivalent. Feels much better to me than the fathom. The 15 feels a little wide for such a small spool, kind of unbalanced, Cavalla feels great in your hands. I dig the 12 size in a fathom, not the 15 so much. I use the Cavalla 5ii for 30 or 40#.

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
Sep 27, 2019
San Diego CA
Name
Erick
Boat
None
Cavalla 5ii would be equivalent. Feels much better to me than the fathom. The 15 feels a little wide for such a small spool, kind of unbalanced, Cavalla feels great in your hands. I dig the 12 size in a fathom, not the 15 so much. I use the Cavalla 5ii for 30 or 40#.
Very true. The cravallas actually have an Anodizing now which puts the coating above the Fathoms. Internals are just about the same. Both should be beasts.

MannyOjai

May 28, 2019
Oakview
Name
Manny Molina
Boat
SandWish
I got this last year on a metaloid 5ii, 50# braid to short 40# topshot. Killed it in about 25 minutes. Estimate 85-90#. Loved the metaloids, minus the drag cam upgrade, cavallas feel even better.

View attachment 1186481
How difficult is installing the new dragcams? Local shop? Or easy to do on my own ?. Okumu just sent me new ones for my 12 2 speed. Thx

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
THx. Appreciate your reply. I will give it a shot. I hear it makes a big difference
The drag cam is part of the first few parts in the stack so should be relatively easy to swap out. Let us know how it works out.

MannyOjai

May 28, 2019
Oakview
Name
Manny Molina
Boat
SandWish
newell 220 is all you need. no lever drags with 25lbs of drag.... k.i.s.s.
I have one of those. Awesome calico reel. No chance it has 25 lbs of drag. Not even close. Great caster. At one point I had over ten Newell’s. The 220 is the only one I kept. Graphite is no match for a one piece frame on big fish. I loved them but I upgraded years ago. Thx

Reactions: Cubeye and terrace

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
Aug 23, 2004
Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
Name
RICK
Boat
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
I've caught bft up to 65lbs,, and yt to 50lbs on my g220. i don't need 25lbs of drag, i didn't say my newell has 25lbs of drag, i meant you don't need a lever drag reel with 25lbs of drag for little tuna

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
May 18, 2020
Rockport Texas
Name
Oliver Cheng
Boat
cabo 45 sportfish
an everol vj8 is all you need. I have a couple for jigging and pitching baits on rigs and grass lines. The drag that thing produces is crazy. I fish 30lb toro tamer hollow and a 40lb fluoro leader. I have put a hurting on some BIG gulf yellowfin and amberjack with that setup.

Reactions: Cubeye

MannyOjai

May 28, 2019
Oakview
Name
Manny Molina
Boat
SandWish
I've caught bft up to 65lbs,, and yt to 50lbs on my g220. i don't need 25lbs of drag, i didn't say my newell has 25lbs of drag, i meant you don't need a lever drag reel with 25lbs of drag for little tuna
I’m glad for you that you’ve got so much on your Newell’s as I said I had over 10 of them I’ve got tuna yellowtail Dorado all of it in those , For me it was just time to upgrade. And clearly I’m not the only one who read your post as 25 pounds drag on your Newell That’s how you wrote it. No one asked for your opinion on my reel since you don’t use it No need to spout off about your abilities , I’m sure you’re fine fisherman . You could probably still catch a baseball with a 75-year-old mitt but technology is a wonderful thing .

Reactions: Cubeye

MannyOjai

May 28, 2019
Oakview
Name
Manny Molina
Boat
SandWish
an everol vj8 is all you need. I have a couple for jigging and pitching baits on rigs and grass lines. The drag that thing produces is crazy. I fish 30lb toro tamer hollow and a 40lb fluoro leader. I have put a hurting on some BIG gulf yellowfin and amberjack with that setup.
Don’t see a lot of those here on the west coast. Glad you like your reel l got some useful feedback on my reel and the drag issue

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
May 18, 2020
Rockport Texas
Name
Oliver Cheng
Boat
cabo 45 sportfish
Don’t see a lot of those here on the west coast. Glad you like your reel l got some useful feedback on my reel and the drag issue

I see some long range guys use the T-shots and two speed specials. Everol really has a good base on the Atlantic here thanks to the number of distributors.

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
Aug 23, 2004
Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
Name
RICK
Boat
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
I’m glad for you that you’ve got so much on your Newell’s as I said I had over 10 of them I’ve got tuna yellowtail Dorado all of it in those , For me it was just time to upgrade. And clearly I’m not the only one who read your post as 25 pounds drag on your Newell That’s how you wrote it. No one asked for your opinion on my reel since you don’t use it No need to spout off about your abilities , I’m sure you’re fine fisherman . You could probably still catch a baseball with a 75-year-old mitt but technology is a wonderful thing .
don't get mad at me cause you're to f'n dumb to pick out your own reel, lol.