Small surface iron rod. What do you use?

sandiegosteve

Fish nerd
Feb 5, 2007
San Diego
Name
Steve
Boat
Lil' Defiance Pilothouse
I've got a Phenix Axis 909 that is rated something like 20-50. It is very soft and parabolic. Casts light jigs a mile. I put a Lexa 400 on it. It has pulled in pelagics to 40#'s, but that is in the arena of not super fun.

But for local kelp small jigs, I love it. Small poppers; super fun.

Upvote 0

nefarious235

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
Think Coffee grinder

Reactions: Jweb
Upvote 0

_dayday

Mar 5, 2017
San Diego
Name
Dylan
Boat
17ft CC "Gringo Mandingo"
I have my tranx 400 paired with a Phenix m1 inshore smx 82h. Thing is super fun. I throw small irons and colt snipers with it for school size tuna, smaller island yellows, and everything in between.

Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

• Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    My go to for small jigs is an old school seeker csw1008 paired with a tranx400 or trini 14.

Upvote 0

tyler92646

Apr 22, 2010
    huntington beach/ Los Angeles
    Name
    tyler
    Boat
    cobra fish and dive yak
    How is it 15 inches?
    Math bro. if the spool is half the diameter it’s now cranking in half as much line with each turn vs if the spool was full. If the PG is rated for 30-33” of line per crank but only holds 200yrds of whatever line you put on there, a 100yrd cast is going to get you in the water with half a spool left. Half the spool is pulling in half as much line per crank. Half of 30” is 15”... math bro

Reactions: fishin_kid
    Upvote 0

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    NA
    I've been using Daiwa coastal rods, they make them in spinning and conventional. I use the spinning rods for light irons. Great distance. Would be overmatched on fish over 30lbs though.

Upvote 0

ThatOlBoy

I got your well-known member swingin', buddy
    Oct 22, 2012
    San Diego/Cabo/Gustavus
    Name
    ThatOlBoy
    Boat
    Blackman 23, Robalo 23, C-Dory 21, Glasspar 18
    Haven't seen anyone mention Seeker Tac-90 or Hercules 90H. I pair the Tac-90 with the smaller Avets, and the Herc with the Lexa/Komodo 400s. Both rods have lots of backbone, plenty for decent yellows, but enough tip to really whip the light stuff way out there.

If you're just messing with Calicos or Barracuda or whatever, the regular Hercules 90 (not the H) with a Lexa/Komodo 300 is awesome. Nice and parabolic for max distance if you're not worried about running into a 25lb yellow.

Upvote 0