marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 18, 2005
So Cal
Name
mark
Boat Name
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
Im going to be looking to repower my 12' gregor with a 15hp,does anyone have any insight into which brands in that HP range?I know some are the same motor just branded differently?I think tohatsu builds like five brands in their factory that are all basically the same in the under 30hp category.My mariner runs perfect and starts first pull but its a 2 smoke and i dont want to be restricted by lakes requiring a 4 stroke.

Upvote 0

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat Name
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    My brother has a Honda and he is happy.
    I like the Yamahas’.
    D0A0C1A5-2157-4648-98C4-699CB7624FCD.jpeg

marlyn
    marlyn
    Wish i had his trailer,mine is a shorelander with those little 12'' wheels,have to do something about that.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

ShadBurke

Just a Guy and his Boston Whaler
  • Oct 28, 2005
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Shad Burke
    Boat Name
    22' Boston Whaler Guardian
    Fuel injected whatever brand you feel most confident with. I prefer Yamaha but depending on shaft length, some manufacturers in that lower hp class do not have power trim tilt…

Reactions: marlyn
    marlyn
    marlyn
    Definitely EFI for varying elevations,its just an aluminum so no need for power anything.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

tuner

pysgotwyr
  • May 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    260 Mackinaw
    I run the Tohatsu 20hp EFI on my 12' Klamath. It runs like a champ and sips fuel. The short shaft is under 100lbs and does not require a battery. I have the electric start with charging, it adds about 10lbs

Last edited:
    marlyn
    marlyn
    I considered a 20 but was worried it wouldnt troll slow enough for trout?Its actually rated for 25 which i though was high for a 12' aluminum.
    Upvote 0
    tuner
    tuner
    I troll at Crowley with it. You could reduce the pitch if needed.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat Name
    24 ft grady white
    I have a Tohatsu 90 two stroke (i know not a smaller motor) and love it.Not a problem going on five years.Everything on that motor says "made in Japan"

marlyn
    marlyn
    I heard tohatsu makes every motor under 30hp besides yamaha through some kind of partnership with the other companies,not sure if this is true.
    Upvote 0
    plj46
    plj46
    I know they made stuff for Mercury and Nissan,not sure about others.I've read they're the largest outboard manufacturer in the world.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
    Feb 23, 2012
    la mesa, ca
    Name
    Russell
    Boat Name
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    I ran a 20hp honda and it was great!

Sheri smiles 019.JPG

Upvote 0

MATTANZA

WESTCOASTSPREADERBARS.COM
    Advertiser
    Aug 23, 2004
    Offshore 32* 42 / 119* 08
    Name
    RICK
    Boat Name
    Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
    when i worked at kettenburg marine , i sold a ton of tohatsus. absolutely great motors. no problems that i can remember.

Upvote 0

hbouldin1216

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 10, 2012
    Lodi, CA
    Name
    Henry Bouldin
    Boat Name
    14 Gregor - Tinacious
    have a Yamaha 25 efi on my 14 footer and my only complaint is that the tiller comes straight out of the engine, not offset at an angle. Depending on your seating set up, it can be awkward to drive. The Mercurys have an adjustable tiller offset that I wish I would have spent the extra money on. Even my old Evinrude that I replaced had the offset tiller and it was much more comfortable to run. The Yamaha does have an RPM adjuster where you can raise or lower the RPMs at idle with a push of a button to control your troll speed

marlyn
    marlyn
    Ive been in your old thread alot lately henry.
    Upvote 0
    hbouldin1216
    hbouldin1216
    feel free to PM with any questions. Tinacious has a duck blind on it right now, really is the Swiss army knife boat
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

marlyn

Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat Name
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Since their is very little price and no weight difference between 15 and 20s im kind of leaning towards a 20hp now.

Last edited:
    Reactions: cortezpirasea
    Upvote 0