Small Kine Action

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by blufin10, Sep 3, 2017.

1. blufin10

blufin10 TightLines666

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Hi'ilawe - 78Dyer29
    Got small Kine Action yesterday.

A low pressure system just north of the main Hawaiian islands has shut down our tradewind fan for the long weekend. Despite a growing list of projects on the boat, I opted to load up with 360lbs of ice, top off the fuel tanks and go fishing yesterday.

Reports of Mahi and Aku, and the fact I just brought 55lbs of brined/frozen/vacume-packed Bionoc Baits, Ballyhoo back from Florida helped form my plan of attack. I invited my friend Joe, and he invited his 2 'newbie' friends.

We met at the boat at 0230, and headed out of the gates at 0300hrs. We ran South 33nm and arrived at the P Bouy area around 0545hrs. I rigged up a dozen ballyhoo on wired Seawitch squid skirts combos, and naked/chin weighted mono, and half a dozen whole Sardines on mono leader as pitch baits. I dropped my 10' long, double spreader bar, 24-5" torpedo squid, with naked ballyhoo trailer dredge on the downrigger and positioned a naked/hooked Ballyhoo just behind it. We deployed the mahi/ono 5 ballyhoo spread and searched for the P bouy without luck. It must have broken free of its 1700' deep moorings and drifted away. No easy pickings on the predawn Mahi today. I spotted a big group of fast moving Aku several miles off of the 500fa curve. Wrong spread, we couldn't catch up to the fish trolling at 6knots max, so we decided to pull everything and switch to my 5" Aku special jigs. By the time we got setup, I realized the Skipjack were heading the opposite direction from our Penguin Banks target, so we turned, left them, and trolled 7nm to the tip of the banks. Not a great start.

Upon arrival to Penguin Banks, I switched the spread back to deadbait and began trolling the 40fa. Ledge. 10minutes later, you guessed it, big pile of Skipjack surfaced on the point. They were largely stationary, so I opted to leave dead baits out. First approach, and I spotted 2 Mahi rooster-tailing into our spread. One outrigger popped, and we ignored the hooked fish to throw sardines and a pitch bait into the wake in hopes of bringing any of his friends along for the ride. Dropped the boat out of gear, and tossed some more sardines. No followers, so we brought the 7lb fish to gaff.

Went back on the troll, made a few passes around the bird pile, then decided to switch to my 5" Aku special jigs. We worked the birds for an hour with no takers, then turned north to run up to the next finger. As soon as we arrived on scene, as luck would have it, the birds, bait and Aku erupted 100' off of the bow. As soon as we passed by the nervous water, the riggers popped, and we had a double hook up. We landed 2 (12&13lb) Skipjack and hurried to catch back up with the bird pile.

After chasing the pile for another hour, I decided to switch back to dead baits and troll the ledge again. As we approached the 'hole' yet another group of Skipjack surfaced. We pulled the ballyhoo, but a Mahi hit the last naked rig just behind the boat as it was being retrieved. I quickly threw some sardines and a whole pitch bait, but he appeared to be a loner.

We worked the birds with jigs for awhile before heading back up the line. We ran into a huge group of lazy boobies rafted up, and were afforded a show as 5 Frigatebirds harrased them to steal their breakfast boatside.

After working the area for awhile with no bites, we ran up to the last finger and pinnacle (Rabbit Hole?). As we approached, a very large bird pile became visable. We chased the birds until I was finally able to get the baits in the fish. The outrigger popped, and the reel started singing. The newbie, who was standing closest to the reel quickly grabbed the reel, and proceeded to flip it out of gear... WTH! Massive birds nest! Fortunately, Joe already had gloves on, quickly grabbed the line and the two of is handlined the 13# Skipjack in and invited him aboard. 30minutes later, we had the birdsnest picked, sorted, and spread set again. We chased the birds for awhile longer with no more takers.

Given the time, I decided to switch everything out for the large Marlin baits, and head back home on a fast troll. Aside from hooking a large rope on the longrigger, we had no action on the homeward run.

Back at the dock by 1700hrs. 14 hour day, produced 45lbs of fish while burning 43 gals of fuel.

The new guys had a blast and learned a lot despite a bit of seasickness, and all-in-all not a bad way to spend the day.

Maybe I will gear up to head out again Monday.

John

21192532_1816176445064724_5120263173045038874_n.jpg 20170831_185549.jpg

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  2. shadzdad

shadzdad Member

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    building one
    John and crew, good going on the mixed bag. Glad he learned what not to do on a smaller fish, lesson learned and funny story to tell. Good recovery to get the aku and birds nest sorted out.

blufin10 likes this.
  3. 808shorecaster

808shorecaster Member

Nice fish, action is better than whitewash.

blufin10 likes this.
  4. RBF

RBF Newbie

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Hydrasport WA 2500
    Thank you, and great report and looks like it was a productive day!

blufin10 likes this.
  5. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Nice catch! Always better than the bolohead alternative! Anytime spent on the water, especially when the conditions were nice like this past weekend, consider it a blessing to be here in Hawaii and spending your leisure time fishing!

6. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    John and crew,
    Good goin' on your successful day, NICE. You certainly brought a menagerie of tactics in your bag. Iwa's can certainly be azzholes towards other flying critters. Let us know how your dredge works, I brought an old style spreader bar when I moved back here in '87 and have since tried various spreaders/daisy chain/flippy-floppy thing and have never had any success with any of it.

Cheers
    Pat

7. ahi lawaia

ahi lawaia Member

Name:
    CP
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Conquest 21
    Wow, John, long trip and detailed report! All your work turned into some good eating fish so it was a good trip. Did you go on Monday?

8. blufin10

blufin10 TightLines666

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Hi'ilawe - 78Dyer29

I invited 2 of my other friends out, and wedecided to try looking fir Ahi. We left at 0330hrs, ran to the HH. Picked up 1 Mahi b4 sunrise on dead bait. We then ran 15nm further West looking for a temp break. We never found it. I ran over to the pinnacle, then trolled the 1000, then the 500, then back to South shore where we picked up a second 8 lb Mahi. Pretty slow day.

I went out for 3 hours yesterday evening. Me and a friend ran the 40 with dead bait. We got 2 hits (1 on I, 1 mahi), but didn't get a good hook set on either. Beautiful evening though, and plenty bait.

John

9. blufin10

blufin10 TightLines666

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Hi'ilawe - 78Dyer29
    Fished the inside Barber's area Sunday all day, and yesterday evening. Good currents, plenty bait, and ran into sum itsy-bitsy Shibi, but no bites.

Where have all the fish gone?

Thinking of making a run out to the HH or BO this afternoon.

10. blufin10

blufin10 TightLines666

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Hi'ilawe - 78Dyer29
    Beautiful evening. Fished Outer banks style ballyhoo rigs this evening on the 40fa. Not much life in close right now. Last week was a different story.

Nice way to spend the evening though.

20170912_182437.jpg

11. shadzdad

shadzdad Member

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    building one
    At least you putting in some time out there. Your persistence will pay off but regardless, still a blessing to be on the water

blufin10 likes this.
  12. ahi lawaia

ahi lawaia Member

Name:
    CP
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Conquest 21
    You're fortunate to be able to spend so much time on the water, John. By doing that you're bound to run across some fish; until then enjoy the beauty only those of us with boats can have.

blufin10 likes this.