Small hook big fish

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by stephen campbell, Apr 7, 2018.

1. stephen campbell

stephen campbell aka "Soup"

Name:
    Stephen Campbell
    Boat:
    S/V Bluechablis Valiant 40
    First credit for photo from Seeker FB page.
    I haven't caught any "big " tuna and always wonder how 4/0 5/0 hooks, recommended for small bait, could work. I don't have any info for scale of this photo but it is definitely small hook big tuna. This one just looks like luck, or is this typical of what is wished for? Big ol' Mustad 16/0 circles thru the jaw, now I see this as common but haven't seen the above or even close.

18275211_1901291693457804_6899916627607172226_n.jpg

2. stangclassic66

stangclassic66 USCG Master

Name:
    Capt. Erik
    Boat:
    25' Parker
    These last few years, we've had to adjust to finicky biting tuna. I've caught 30-40lb schoolers on size 4 hooks.....shit is almost trout like in comparison lol

surfgoose likes this.
  3. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Hook sizes and shapes have sure changed through the ages. These past several decades have brought us amazing improvements in metal strength and sharpness so that a very small hook can penetrate and hold and not straighten out under amazing pressure.

Wouldn't it be great to have a time machine? I would go back a thousand years and sit in at the first fireside counsel at some small island in the far western Pacific and listen to how the guy who thought up the circle hook design managed to convince the chief that by moving the ancient and proven "J" hook shape into a rounder style with the barb pointing IN they could actually catch more fish.

4. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Nice to have these stronger hooks but IMO fishing tuna they hook themselves and the sweet spot that you see in the picture is the jaw cartilage. There instead of imbedding in bone it swivels like a shackle with nothing solid to pry against. For tuna a sharp j hook, offset hook are designed to catch the first thing it touches.

While Mustad invented the modern circle hook, which by design has to have the point past the 90 degree from the shank, the history goes way back some 9000 years.

http://mustad-fishing.com/am/about-hooks-2/hook-history/

Even made hooks from bone of human sacrifices.

5. alan760

alan760 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alan
    Boat:
    American Angler
    I always thought the hook size was determined by the size of the fish you're targeting and line class you're fishing, not so much the bait. 5/0 Owner Super Mutu is about right for sardine fishing bigger tuna and 4/0 could also work if it gets picky. Need enough gap size for the hook to set into the corner of the mouth and hook has to be stout enough to take the pressure of the line you're using..

$norkle likes this.
  6. mcrae

mcrae More wishing than fishing

Name:
    McRae
    Boat:
    none
    Small bait can't carry large hooks.

Yellowtail Dan and NATIVE like this.
  7. jiggyn

jiggyn Do you even fish?

Name:
    Jerr
    Boat:
    That boat!
    I try to avoid using bigger hooks. Too big it’s like an anchor on the bait. My last big fish was caught on a mustad demon 4/0 3X

IMO if all is timed and done right when you wind in tight that hook should bury in the corner of the mouth

terryc. and NATIVE like this.
  8. simmo13

simmo13 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Simmo
    Boat:
    2007 17' Baja bayrunner
    I was told on shogun couple years ago for the 100 plus lbrs a 4/0 circle was the go because their lips are about as thick as your thumb. A 4/0 fits just around a thumb.

9. Adrien Baker

Adrien Baker Born to get down.

Name:
    Adrien Baker
    Boat:
    Ultra
    I’ve always been taught hook size is based on bait size.

Adrien

stephen campbell and Cubeye like this.
  10. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    You can see where the line marks point to and they move almost 360 degrees. Where the hook is now that the mouth is open is not exactly where the fight was. Can you imagine if that hook was in bone?

11. Unforgiven1

Unforgiven1 It's All About The Tuna Advertiser

Name:
    Drew
    Boat:
    UnforgiveN- Blackfin 29' FB Volvo Kamd 300's
    That shot on top has a lot of luck involved, a couple cm's in or to the side and that line is chewed thru in a second. I caught c note tuna last year on a size 4, and got chewed thru on the next 3. At least I got bit, nobody using a 1 or larger was getting a sniff. Most of the issue was that the dines were small and sluggish. If we had hot baits none of that shit would have mattered.

stephen campbell likes this.
  12. spinner

spinner Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mikegooing
    Boat:
    none
    with a 5/0 hook on big tuna, you have to be careful with your drag so that you do not rip the hook out when using short top shots and spectra, or in heavy seas. especially at the end game

$norkle and ReelDealAngler- like this.
  13. ReelDealAngler-

ReelDealAngler- Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    On large tuna you want as much gap between hook point and shank as you can possibly get away with... always a tough decision when bait is small or less lively as the smaller hook allows the lesser fin bait to swim better... but if you hook a big you are truly gambling that the hook will hold or will not break (been there and done that more times than I ever care to remember). I agree with Spinner in that you have to set a lighter drag and use softer action rods where you can keep constant pressure (tension) on the fish without pulling too hard like you would with a heavier action rod and a larger hook... one of the reasons why I like fishing with longer rods... more shock absorber with the longer bend and they cast that less lively or smaller fin bait in the fly line application a lot better so it does not have to swim as much just to get into the zone! ;)

G

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    freegaff2 likes this.
  14. stephen campbell

stephen campbell aka "Soup"

Name:
    Stephen Campbell
    Boat:
    S/V Bluechablis Valiant 40
    Seems some are willing to bet on a hook set like shown above to get bit? I am new but have searched every hooked up tuna photo I could find and read all the posts with this discussion seeking to decide just how stealthy I am willing to go with big tuna. Until I catch a few of the bigs I don't think Ill gamble on a hook to jaw ratio as shown above hahahaha

Thanks all
    Soup

15. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    My 1st few LR trips all we had were chovies. Flylining a chovie on 100lb using hooks no bigger than a 1/0. Didn't have circle hooks either,just those chrome or bronze j hooks. Caught a lot of big tuna on those. There just weren't many options. I wouldn't do it now, I think use the biggest hook you can and still get bit.

16. RichG

RichG Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Richard G/
    Boat:
    none
    I just listen to the Captain and Crew. They generally know what size hook the bait can handle. And remember not all 5/0 are the same. 5/0 Mustad is like a 4/0 Super mutu. And yes I remember fishing with anchovies and a #4 hook.

FishRock likes this.
  17. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    When thinking about circle hooks the whole idea about gap size needs to be carefully thought about.

If you cut the hangnail off a circle hook the gap to the shank would be very large even on a smaller hook.

The hangnails only purpose is to get the hook to turn into the corner of the jaw. If you look at the diagram a circle hooks gap is not just the distance to the shank. The turning action of the hook allows for the throat of the hook to be part of the gap to the shank (everything below A).

Once the hook makes the turn into the jaw many times the hang nail embeds itself into the jaw as well. If the hangnail finds bone and not something else - it could mean a broken or bent hook.

p-17541-01.jpg

Tim Turis, RichG and Bill W like this.
  18. canyonman

canyonman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    joe
    Boat:
    Independence
    I tend to use J hooks more often these days. Mustard hoodlum. 4x

MadHatches likes this.
  19. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    Old school Canyon fishing Joe - Gamakatsu Live bait 6/0 and 7/0!!

Northeastfshman likes this.
  20. Northeastfshman

Northeastfshman Moderator

Name:
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat:
    Parker 2120SCDV
    I know John! I look at that stuff now and laugh. Would fish soooo differently today than I used to.