Billy L

AK halibut charter captain
  • Jul 4, 2009
    San Diego and AK
    Name
    Billy
    Boat
    25’, 22’ Whalers
    Forecast from a couple of days ago was for rain today thru Friday so I planned a trip for yesterday. I know, 3 days in a row. Lobster fishing is an addiction........ to me.
    I invited a BD brother to go yesterday after he pledged secrecy to against revealing my spots, and I, to keep his identity secret. He said he doesn’t want to be famous. 8-) LOL
    So when we’re getting done around midnight last Friday the 13th, law enforcement drove up to us to check our licenses and catch. When I showed the officer our slow night catch of 5 and all around 1/8-1/4” over legal, he said he was satisfied and said the big lobsters are at (*******}. I said yeah, right. But as they’re leaving, I asked if he was serious. He said yes. :eek::rolleyes:
    So we went there last night...........

5A8B8741-3332-42BC-946C-D24210508CFE.jpeg 3CEC7DA5-9348-4895-BD44-F1AE6FDADE5E.jpeg
    Since my lobster partner (No! Not the other type of partnerLOL) had to drive 120 miles home, we decided to start wrapping up at 10. Had 9 at that time with the small bowling ball in the cooler.
    I call the big boys bowling balls because the head is so massive. This one was around 6# so i call it a small bowling ball. I’ll weigh it later.
    When we got a 15# years back, that bowling ball filled the net. Nope! Didn’t fill my tummy, was donated to the Birch Aquarium. Or Sea World, I forget. I know, fricking tree hugger me!!!
    We got 3 more with the last pull making it a 12 night.
    I guess I didn’t flunk the attitude test with the cops and my politeness was rewarded.
    Sorry guys, the spot secrecy policy continues.
    I know, now everybody from now on would want to be boarded by the police just so that he can ask that question,WHERE!!!!!!!!!!! LOL LOL

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

c_P

Jan 29, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Can
    Boat
    Na
    Forecast from a couple of days ago was for rain today thru Friday so I planned a trip for yesterday. I know, 3 days in a row. Lobster fishing is an addiction........ to me.
    I invited a BD brother to go yesterday after he pledged secrecy to against revealing my spots, and I, to keep his identity secret. He said he doesn’t want to be famous. 8-) LOL
    So when we’re getting done around midnight last Friday the 13th, law enforcement drove up to us to check our licenses and catch. When I showed the officer our slow night catch of 5 and all around 1/8-1/4” over legal, he said he was satisfied and said the big lobsters are at (*******}. I said yeah, right. But as they’re leaving, I asked if he was serious. He said yes. :eek::rolleyes:
    So we went there last night...........

View attachment 1100620 View attachment 1100621
    Since my lobster partner (No! Not the other type of partnerLOL) had to drive 120 miles home, we decided to start wrapping up at 10. Had 9 at that time with the small bowling ball in the cooler.
    I call the big boys bowling balls because the head is so massive. This one was around 6# so i call it a small bowling ball. I’ll weigh it later.
    When we got a 15# years back, that bowling ball filled the net. Nope! Didn’t fill my tummy, was donated to the Birch Aquarium. Or Sea World, I forget. I know, fricking tree hugger me!!!
    We got 3 more with the last pull making it a 12 night.
    I guess I didn’t flunk the attitude test with the cops and my politeness was rewarded.
    Sorry guys, the spot secrecy policy continues.
    I know, now everybody from now on would want to be boarded by the police just so that he can ask that question,WHERE!!!!!!!!!!! LOL LOL

I was there when we got checked.

Reactions: Billy L
    Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Great job Billy, and congratulations on a great night of hooping lobsters!!

Upvote 0
    Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    There is nothing wrong with releasing big old bugs! I have released many big ol guys, and girls, without remorse. You have to respect something that has avoided capture for 40-50 years. I hear folks saythey are tough once cooked, but I suspect they tried to cook the tail whole, which is impossible. The middle does not get done while the outside is OC. Cutting them into smaller pieces helps this, but whatever your style.Either way, those big ol bugs deserve some respect.I remember a diving mission to retrieve some trolling feathers in MB, and I saw a 5 gal bucket with antenna sticking out. 5 lb + bug, barely fit in the bucket! No reason to take it home...

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    Billy did you notice if you are catching more legal males now than in the beginning of the season? Up until Thanksgiving we caught maybe 3 or 4 legal males to over 40 females. Now it's been 75-80% males and last night all 4. I wonder if there is something to this maybe a reproduction migration I don't know.

Upvote 0

Billy L

• Jul 4, 2009
    San Diego and AK
    Name
    Billy
    Boat
    25’, 22’ Whalers
    Billy did you notice if you are catching more legal males now than in the beginning of the season? Up until Thanksgiving we caught maybe 3 or 4 legal males to over 40 females. Now it's been 75-80% males and last night all 4. I wonder if there is something to this maybe a reproduction migration I don't know.
    Most of the ones we kept are male. Your 75-80% male is consistent with ours.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Robdog1

Well known member
    Oct 23, 2018
    Newport Beach
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
    Upvote 0

Robdog1

Well known member
    Oct 23, 2018
    Newport Beach
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
    I guess you’re trying to win something with your two pounder?LOL
    that’s 5.84lbs to you. Ask the tackle shop I weighed it at:frehya2: it’s not like I need the gear, I already have 6 nets and don’t need any more considering I’m by myself 3/4 of the time. I had 10 at one point and it was too much of a cluster, even with 3 other people

Upvote 0

Billy L

• Jul 4, 2009
    San Diego and AK
    Name
    Billy
    Boat
    25’, 22’ Whalers
    that’s 5.84lbs to you. Ask the tackle shop I weighed it at:frehya2: it’s not like I need the gear, I already have 6 nets and don’t need any more considering I’m by myself 3/4 of the time. I had 10 at one point and it was too much of a cluster, even with 3 other people
    :worship:
    :cheers:

Upvote 0