thesaltyhooker

Almost A Member
Oct 25, 2018
Renton
Name
Anders
Boat
North River Seahawk
In light of the thread going on regarding the boats going down at westport I thought I would start this.
Shit happens, everyone here knows that, so being prepared for anything is good. Whether thats your diving hood and silly putty or a life raft....
I was discussing with one of my co workers who volunteers for the coast guard down in Australia this week that he had been involved in multiple rescues the past month.. one recently was a husband and wife in a small craft, the wife died but the husband was rescued.
We began to talk about small boat safety equipment and he mentioned something he keeps on his boat (18 ft aluminum fishing style boat)
Essentially it is a flotation device/ditch bag. I'm going to grab one for my boat...
This got me to thinking about bringing up the discussion of what everyone runs as additional safety equipment on top of the required coast guard equipment. I don't run offshore for tuna in my boat (21 ft seahawk) and don't really have the space for a life raft. But shit happens quick even where i fish out in the straits.
This piece of equipment does intrigue me as it seems as though it would be an additional piece of flotation safety equipment on top of what I already carry...
Anyways, just thought I'd open discussion for tips/tricks extra stuff people carry as well as extra precautions many might not think of.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
In light of the thread going on regarding the boats going down at westport I thought I would start this.
Shit happens, everyone here knows that, so being prepared for anything is good. Whether thats your diving hood and silly putty or a life raft....
I was discussing with one of my co workers who volunteers for the coast guard down in Australia this week that he had been involved in multiple rescues the past month.. one recently was a husband and wife in a small craft, the wife died but the husband was rescued.
We began to talk about small boat safety equipment and he mentioned something he keeps on his boat (18 ft aluminum fishing style boat)
Essentially it is a flotation device/ditch bag. I'm going to grab one for my boat...
This got me to thinking about bringing up the discussion of what everyone runs as additional safety equipment on top of the required coast guard equipment. I don't run offshore for tuna in my boat (21 ft seahawk) and don't really have the space for a life raft. But shit happens quick even where i fish out in the straits.
This piece of equipment does intrigue me as it seems as though it would be an additional piece of flotation safety equipment on top of what I already carry...
Anyways, just thought I'd open discussion for tips/tricks extra stuff people carry as well as extra precautions many might not think of.
Well the consensus on the other thread was call your insurance company and assume the fetal position until help arrives.

Oh yeah and get on the life raft if you have it.

Upvote 0